PDA

View Full Version : Undead Arcane-cheese

TomTheRat
2007-10-14, 02:10 AM
Ok, so if anyone cares, or remembers, a few weeks ago I was on a quest to figure out how best to twink the hell out of a Necropolitan Arcane build. The only reason I'm posting is 'cause I've seen more than a few Necropolitan/Dread Necro posts in the last few weeks, and I wanted to share what I got.

After searching the books, I think I have an answer:

Arcane Disclipe [Complete Divine]
Spontaneous Wounder [Complete Divine]

Arcane Disciple lets you grab a Domain's worth of spells and add them to your Arcane casting list, as long as you match the alignment of the God that grants the Domain. So you take any God that gives Destruction.

Destruction gives two Inflict spells, Light, and Critical, but the important part is that they give you access to Spontaneous Wounder, which will let you spontaneously cast as an evil Cleric as many times a day as your wisdom modifier.

Now, it's not perfect, two feats, locks your alignment pretty hard, gotta have a Wisdom of 13+, but the result is that as an Undead Arcane caster you can heal yourself. Here's where it gets awesome.

Spellstich yourslef. You can imbue yourself with Inflict spells (because you can cast them all) and suddenly you can heal yourself a LOT of times per day, spontanously heal yourself a lot of times per day, deliver the heals with ranged ability via spectral hand, and if you feel like grabbing Improved Turn Resistance [Libris Mortus] get a +8 on turn checks.

Not bad, for a full on Wizard build. You get d12 HDs, the full list of Undead immunities, full caster levels, the ability to heal yourself, a lot, and your undead minions, a lot, at range.

It costs 3 feats, which is not great, and 6.5k+ xps, which is also hardly ideal, but I believe the results will be a staggeringly powerful wizard.

Suggestions? Ideas? Am I missing anything?

Armads
2007-10-14, 02:14 AM
You cannot spellstitch yourself. It's not a player template, as there is no LA listed.

You already can get someone else to spellstitch you, however, if spellstitching was allowed for PCs. Therefore, you can also get overpowered stuff like Divine Power spellstitched to yourself (it's evocation, after all). But that'll cause the DM to hit you with the DMG. Other good candidates for spellstitching are Create Undead Warrior, Animate Dead (as these have material/xp costs)

Dread Necromancers already have unlimited healing if they are undead via their charnel touch. They also can get the feat Tomb-tainted soul to treat themselves as undead for that healing.

TomTheRat
2007-10-14, 02:24 AM
Actually it says specifically that you can spellstich yourself.

And yeah, Dread Necro gets to heal themselves, but its not a good heal, and in a combat situation an Inflict Critical is far more valuable than a 1d4+whatever.

Armads
2007-10-14, 02:53 AM
It's not worth it devoting all your spellstitched SLAs to inflicts, though. It's more effective to pick up spells that have material or xp costs, because you don't need to pay them.

Anxe
2007-10-14, 09:58 AM
It is a cool combo, but it's not super cheese, more like cheddar. I like the idea though. A blasting lich who can also heal himself.