PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Assassination Using "Call Weaponry"

Techcaliber
2019-09-07, 09:30 PM
Hello everybody!

Recently, I decided to change my character from a Dread Necro. to a Psychic Warrior (PW), mainly because Dread Necro. didn't fit the game that had been made. While looking through Psionics available to PW, I found Call Weaponry. Now, it seems to me that this would be perfect for assassinations, considering that this is an Evil Campaign.

Now, I'm wondering if you could you use call weaponry to summon a weapon that pierces through someone killing them, or would something prevent this? I know the question is simple, but really what I am looking for are valid arguments to use against my DM if he says this wouldn't work. Especially a stubborn DM who doesn't like to yield when they are wrong.

I know it's a **** move to argue with the DM in some cases, but I believe this isn't one of those moments.

Thanks in advance for your advice!:smallbiggrin:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-07, 09:42 PM
Well, first of all, look at the soulbound weapon ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a). You automatically get a +1 (or more) magic weapon at base, and you can augment it using additional weapon enhancements of your choice.

I'd choose a weapon that has as much versatility as possible, such as an elvencraft longbow/quarterstaff with a close combat knife, oil chamber, and wand chamber built into all three weapon parts. Add in a stacked weapon crystal (weapon crystal from the MIC with as many additional weapon crystal bonuses added using the magic item stacking rules also in the MIC), then add as many save-or-die enhancements as you can. If you need something a bit different, add morphing and sizing to your weapon when you summon it, then change it to whatever you want it to be.

Alternatively, take a level in rogue or two levels in swordsage for some sneak attack, and take the Craven feat to add +1 (or +2)d6 + Character Level damage to it, and change your summoned weapon to a poison ring, from the Dragon Compendium. It only deals 1 damage (plus all the above additional damage), but it's on a touch attack, and it's designed to deliver poison (which is easily obtained via psionic minor creation).

There are lots of tricks you can get, here. And I'm wondering; if you craft the base item yourself and have the Enhance Item feat, would the DCs for any save-or-die/lose effects get a boost?

Choose any item creation feat you already know. When you create an item with that feat, adjust the DC for saving throws required by the magic item, if any, by your key ability modifier.

Are there any item creation feats that allow you to create nonmagical weapons as part of its effects, maybe?

Also, this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?593471-3-P-RWBY-esque-Custom-Weapons!)

You might also consider a level in (heavily ACF'd) monk, along with Tashalatora, so you get plenty of unarmed strike boosts (which can themselves be upgraded (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863)) and can have a decent AC while unarmored.

[edit] And no, you can't summon a thing inside another thing, unless said thing says it can be summoned in another thing.

The Viscount
2019-09-07, 09:44 PM
Are you asking if you can make it so that the weapon appears in the space occupied by their body, stabbing them?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-07, 09:45 PM
Are you asking if you can make it so that the weapon appears in the space occupied by their body, stabbing them?Well, no, that's not a thing that can happen, although you could Quicken call weaponry, make your attack roll, and fluff it as such.

Psyren
2019-09-07, 10:21 PM
I know the question is simple, but really what I am looking for are valid arguments to use against my DM if he says this wouldn't work. Especially a stubborn DM who doesn't like to yield when they are wrong.

I know it's a **** move to argue with the DM in some cases, but I believe this isn't one of those moments.

Your DM would be right and you would be wrong:

You call a weapon “from thin air” into your waiting hand...

And in case you're arguing you can put your hand up against them and then manifest, that's a no too:

Line of Effect
A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a power can affect. A solid barrier cancels a line of effect, but it is not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight. You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you manifest a power on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect.

Effect: One weapon; see text

The target itself blocks your line of effect for creating the weapon; you must create the weapon in an empty space first and then use it.

PaucaTerrorem
2019-09-08, 10:05 AM
I’m assuming you want the weapon to appear behind them and stab them in the back as it flies to you.
Approach the DM and explain the coolness of this. Even come with some penalties that you take on your attack. Be as reasonable as you can and if they say no don’t argue. Just remember this move for use with another DM.

Psyren
2019-09-08, 11:29 AM
It doesn't "fly" at all, it appears out of thin air in your hand. You're not Jedi-yanking it from somewhere in the room.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-08, 02:45 PM
It doesn't "fly" at all, it appears out of thin air in your hand. You're not Jedi-yanking it from somewhere in the room.Well, if you learn accio...

Manyasone
2019-09-08, 03:44 PM
Well, if you learn accio...

need a wand for that...

TheCount
2019-09-09, 12:37 PM
you can specialize in coup de grace, but its easiest if the enemy is helpless, so... hold person, monster, entagle, daze and so on.
I remember some weapons and enchantment that interact with coup de grace, but nothing detailed sadly.
also i know its not call weaponry, but psion nomad has a personal space acf (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a)is it as good as call weaponry? no, it isnt, but you do get to vanish things away and get them back whenever you want it.
also, psionic disintegrate is a 6th level psion/wilder power, and its not transmutation but a kind of teleport.

XionUnborn01
2019-09-09, 10:37 PM
Well, no, that's not a thing that can happen, although you could Quicken call weaponry, make your attack roll, and fluff it as such.

This was going to be my suggestion. You can't make it appear in them but you could fluff it as that if you make your attack which would be pretty cool.

Telonius
2019-09-11, 12:38 PM
Your DM would be right and you would be wrong:

And in case you're arguing you can put your hand up against them and then manifest, that's a no too:

The target itself blocks your line of effect for creating the weapon; you must create the weapon in an empty space first and then use it.

I'm wondering if you could do this to something on the Ethereal plane with a Transdimensional spell...

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-11, 01:49 PM
I'm wondering if you could do this to something on the Ethereal plane with a Transdimensional spell...Psionic ethereal jaunt and apply the Transdimensional Power feat (CPsi) to call weaponry? I don't think that would work, since call weaponry would act like it's on the Material Plane, as normal.

[edit] Huh. What would happen if you manifested a Transdimensional psionic ethereal jaunt? Would you be able to be on the Material, Ethereal, Shadow, and Astral planes all at once? Could you see and hear into all of them?