PDA

View Full Version : Advice on building/using Elocator

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-14, 02:55 AM
Hey there. I was wondering what tips people might have for building/using the Elocator from the Expanded Psionic Handbook.

I'm really fond of the prestige class, and was hoping that some people out there might have some advice on how to build or utilize this prestige class.

I'd of course want to take the dodge variant from Magic of Incarnum so I can use the feat for something other than the dodge bonus if I so choose... or some other variant of dodge that counts as dodge for a prerequisite.

One of the builds I was considering was adding it on top of a full psion progression.

Anxe
2007-10-14, 10:03 AM
I like that class too. Just the idea of always floating sounds so cool. On to business! Elocaters are best when they work in a team with somebody else. So you're gonna want to be summoning Astral Constructs to help you with flanking and opportunistic strike. Her flanking ability works well with rogues too. Finally all those five-foot steps work well with scouts too. So the best way to play this class is either as a scout or rogue with a level of Psion splashed. The elocater manifesting progression should be enough to cover your summoning abilities.

Dullyanna
2007-10-14, 10:47 AM
I'd recommend a psychic rogue, maybe with a few fighter levels to make entry into the class easier (And martial weapon proficiency to boot). You could also go the other way around (Rogue w/Psy_Warrior levels, for more skill points and a different list o' powers).

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-14, 01:30 PM
Psychic Rogue? Wazzat? Sorry, but I haven't encountered that build before.

And yes, capricious step lends it's self well to scout, while the ability to flank as somewhere else makes for good roguiness.

*bites lip* Unlike most flying classes, this one seems incredibly well geared towards melee combat, rather than it being a perfect design for a 'you can't hit me' flying ranged attack machine.

For a character like this though, I do think that having a reach weapon (like maybe a spiked chain?) would come in incredibly handy.

Iku Rex
2007-10-14, 02:01 PM
Which books can you use?
Are you starting at level 1?

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-14, 02:30 PM
We are not starting at level 1. I left the group for a while and am considering going back with a new character. When I left everyone was level 6, they're probably level 7 or 8 by now.

I was told that we could use anything that we could show the DMs and is not campaign specific, although occasionally the DM will rule that 'you can't use X, and you'll find out why later' such as any variation of gunpowder belonging exclusively to a group of Dwarvish and gnomish Kython hunters.

The group is big fans of Arcanus (A 3rd party campaign setting) and while the races aren't available, many feats and equipment items that aren't exclusively based on the campaign world are allowed.

They've also got a 3rd party book called the Ultimate Equipment guide, which I routinely use to pull out insanely good light armor that protects better than full plate, in part because everything is made of Mithril.

The head DM loves having various mercenary companies use Naptha. He's a lead by the nose DM who is an ex-marine, who happens to be a year younger than me, and is... rather stuborn that his railroading will happen no matter what.

There are 2 other DMs in the group. One is in love with the libris morum, and has a kingdom ruled by a lich. The other focuses on druids and nature type creatures that live in the huge forest that lies between the countries the other two DMs focus on.

But really, if it's not campaign specific, and I can show them the book, there's a good chance I can use it.

The scout/psion build does look like a good one, but I think I'd probably want to mix in a level of lion totem barbarian if I was going with a scout build.

Dullyanna
2007-10-14, 03:11 PM
Here's a link to the Psychic Rogue
[url]http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b[url]

Again, Scouts are nice, but remember that 1: Elocaters get a really nifty flanking ability at level four, and 2: You need three feats (Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack) and 8 ranks in concentration just to get into the class. IMO, the class lends itself better to sneak attack than skirmish, and a few levels in Fighter or Psychic Warrior let you have a few more feats i.e. Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain.

Swooper
2007-10-14, 03:58 PM
One of the players in a PbP game I'm starting soon is going to play Psychic Rogue 5 /Thief Acrobat 5 /Elocator 10. Perhaps not optimal, but it's quite interesting.

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-15, 09:12 PM
Okay. I get 10 free feet of movement on top of a full round action, and I can get pounce with a single level of Barbarian. I can also use my scorn earth ability in many areas in order to get both of them even if surrounded. 3rd level Scouts also get extra land speed. This actually seems like it synergizes really well for skirmish.

On the other hand, I can flank from any spot that would be adjacent to me. If that'd normally put me in flank with my ground-based companions that sounds pretty powerful too. I'm not sure how spring attack and mobility synergize with sneak attack though. Also, if I'm going with a spiked chain, and was 10 feet in the air, then any spot adjacent to me would be one square above my fellows, thus keeping me from flanking and using the range of the spiked chain in that way... but focusing on being able to flank would let me aid anyone else with sneak attack in battle.

I do think a level or two of Psion, or psychic warrior would be beneficial, as I think I'd prefer that power progression to that of the Psychic Theif. I'm also not sure my DMs would allow a website prestige class.

How do most people out there think this would stack up?

RTGoodman
2007-10-15, 09:28 PM
I do think a level or two of Psion, or psychic warrior would be beneficial, as I think I'd prefer that power progression to that of the Psychic Theif. I'm also not sure my DMs would allow a website prestige class.

Psychic Rogue isn't actually a Prestige Class - it's just a variant rogue that gets few skill points, but access to a limited list of psionic powers. There's also the psionic assassin on there somewhere.

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-15, 09:40 PM
Sorry. I meant website class. Not sure if they'd let me take website, base, or otherwise.