PDA

View Full Version : Help with making decisions on warlock.

Throne12
2019-09-08, 01:04 AM
So we are going to start a new campaign we are going to be playing through ghosts of saltmarsh. I made a lv1 kraken warlock the new UA changling. The rest of the party is a paladin and a rogue. I've never played warlock before and looking for tips

AscendingApe
2019-09-08, 03:38 AM
What kind of tips are you looking for? Pact of the tome and blade are both pretty good, chain decidedly less so. If you have a paladin and a rogue, I would suggest tome so you can better cover the magical aspects and let the other two handle direct combat. On top of that, tome nets you free cantrips and even gets an invocation that allows you to transcribe ritual spells.
Being charisma based means warlock is well suited for being the party face, and Changling shapeshifting even more so.
Outside of that, the real wild card is what invocations you take, with agonizing blast being a staple.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-09-08, 03:54 AM
I'd agree with the above, if you're the primary arcanist in the party, Tome Pact is the way to go. If you pick Tome but you still want some melee power, make at least one of your three Tome cantrips Shillelagh (you can base it on Charisma), and pick Greenflame Blade if you'd like even more.

OTOH, the Kraken Patron already has gobs of offensive power, so you might be just fine letting the Paladin and the Rogue handle melee and pick up all those nifty utility cantrips.