PDA

View Full Version : Counters to Detect E&G, Divine Sense, etc.

Greywander
2019-09-08, 03:04 AM
Blah blah blah, my homebrew undead race, blah blah blah.

I was rereading the description of the Amulet of Proof Against Detect and Location, thinking it would protect an undead PC from Detect Evil and Good and Divine Sense, however it only seems to protect you from divination spells cast on you. DE&G isn't cast on you, and Divine Sense isn't even a spell (and arguably isn't even magic).

What resources does an undead have for avoiding detection from these effects, other than "be somewhere else" or "leave no witnesses"?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-08, 03:20 AM
https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/arcanists-magic-aura

Mask option.

Greywander
2019-09-08, 03:24 AM
Nice find, this is basically perfect, it even specifically calls out Divine Sense. It's a 2nd level spell and lasts 24 hour with no concentration, to boot.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-08, 03:35 AM
Nice find, this is basically perfect, it even specifically calls out Divine Sense. It's a 2nd level spell and lasts 24 hour with no concentration, to boot.

In one of the Homebrew games I play our DM gave us a cloak with the effect of this spell(we have a party member of a very hated race/class/magicalstuff).

I think it should be an uncommon item with no attunement as it have a very specific goal and should be mass produce by creatures that are hated and can be magicly found.

Or for magical assassins.

I just recommend to add it as a magic item in your world if you make an undead race.

Greywander
2019-09-08, 04:03 AM
The problem with mass producing such an item is that the forces that be will eventually figure it out, and then all they need to do is look for the item. Detect Magic can also sniff out the item. In the case of Nystul's Magic Aura, Dispel Magic will dispel it. So a thorough caster would cast Dispel Magic, then Detect Magic, then Detect Evil and Good. Identify can also be used if they find a magic item and don't know what it does.

Still, either a magic item or Magic Aura would at least prevent casual observation. If arrested and subjected to a thorough search, there's a good chance of being caught.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-08, 04:19 AM
The problem with mass producing such an item is that the forces that be will eventually figure it out, and then all they need to do is look for the item. Detect Magic can also sniff out the item. In the case of Nystul's Magic Aura, Dispel Magic will dispel it. So a thorough caster would cast Dispel Magic, then Detect Magic, then Detect Evil and Good. Identify can also be used if they find a magic item and don't know what it does.

Still, either a magic item or Magic Aura would at least prevent casual observation. If arrested and subjected to a thorough search, there's a good chance of being caught.

If you are arrested and subject to a search you will probably be caught anyway.
Unless you are a pawn of a powerful figure in the place that arrested you.

Greywander
2019-09-08, 05:55 AM
This kind of makes me want to see a campaign where one player or group is trying to stay hidden and another player or group is trying to hunt them down. Maybe the same DM running two different games that influence each other. This is the kind of thing you'd see in a spy/counterspy type drama.

It would need to end either with a dramatic showdown where one of them is defeated for good, or with them joining forces to destroy a common enemy.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-08, 06:31 AM
This kind of makes me want to see a campaign where one player or group is trying to stay hidden and another player or group is trying to hunt them down. Maybe the same DM running two different games that influence each other. This is the kind of thing you'd see in a spy/counterspy type drama.

It would need to end either with a dramatic showdown where one of them is defeated for good, or with them joining forces to destroy a common enemy.

That reminds me a story about The Head of Vecna.

It can be fun, if you are going to run it online I will be happy to join.