PDA

View Full Version : It's a-me, Mario!

Uncle Pine
2019-09-09, 07:40 AM
I was toying with the idea of making a Mario character (because why not). So far I have the following:

- Dwarf: Mario is short.

- Lion totem city brawler (Dragon #349) barbarian 1/warblade 5/???: Mario is going to punch people in the head, which makes better!monk city brawler barbarian a good idea. Warblade gives access to sudden leap and leaping dragon stance, which seemed appropriate.

- Gauntlets of vaulting: A&EG p109 has a halberd of vaulting, which is an incredibly neat item whose existance I wasn't aware of until this morning, only as a pair of gloves (as per MIC). This is what sparked the idea of jumping on people's head. It'll also be way too expensive until level 10ish, but a plumber can dream.

- Necklace of fireball (https://youtu.be/kwgX9iyZfwk)

- Infusions (Masters of the Wild): slightly more expensive than the average scroll, but worth extra flavor points.

- Feats: Wild Cohort, Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Greaves), Open Least Chakra (feet). Stunning people at the end of a jumping charge sounded thematically appropriate and worth two feats. Power Attack + Leap Attack also work as replacements or additions if feats are on the table, or can be grabbed later on. Riding lizards (FRCS) aren't normally available as animal companions but they don't seem any better than other 4th level alternate options from the PHB, meaning you could grab your own rideable Yoshi at level 7 with a lenient DM. Fleshrakers work equally well, are stronger in combat, and have RAW support as animal companions.

- Apprentice (Spellcasting mentor, DMGII). UMD is a hell of a class skill. Knowledge (architecture and engineering) can also come in handy, but it's mostly UMD.

What other things do you think we can cram into this?

Zaq
2019-09-09, 07:48 AM
You need produce flame.

Saintheart
2019-09-09, 08:07 AM
Profession (Plumber)?

daremetoidareyo
2019-09-09, 09:00 AM
Necklace of fireballs

EndlessKng
2019-09-09, 09:03 AM
Profession (Plumber)?

Arguably also a few ranks of Carpenter as well, from his original appearance (though there has been the MatPat/Game Theory argument that this is a separate Mario - iirc, the father to the Mario Brothers.

-

Mario himself needs either a level in a casting class or a class for UMD. He seems to be able to use any magic he gets his hands on, so he needs spell trigger or spell completion or the ability to simulate it.

Also, are we looking at this from a specific game, all games, or a general angle? If we include Odyssey, we need a familiar - or we need to take Fiend of Possession which has its own implications.

Albions_Angel
2019-09-09, 09:17 AM
A big old hammer. One he can hide in his back pocket preferably. Also potions of enlarge person in edible, mushroom shaped containers.

Uncle Pine
2019-09-09, 10:16 AM
You need produce flame.

Necklace of fireballs
A rose of fireballs, worn like a necklace, with each petal representing a bead that can be detached and thrown.

Arguably also a few ranks of Carpenter as well, from his original appearance (though there has been the MatPat/Game Theory argument that this is a separate Mario - iirc, the father to the Mario Brothers.

-

Mario himself needs either a level in a casting class or a class for UMD. He seems to be able to use any magic he gets his hands on, so he needs spell trigger or spell completion or the ability to simulate it.
That's probably a good idea. The Apprentice feat (DMGII) can be used to get UMD as a class skill without dips or jumping through hoops, which leaves Mario with a LOT of new toys at his disposal.

Also, are we looking at this from a specific game, all games, or a general angle? If we include Odyssey, we need a familiar - or we need to take Fiend of Possession which has its own implications.
I'd say all suggestions are welcome, but keep in mind that at his core this Mario is a mostly mundane, melee-focused, happy stomping dwarf (so even if Dr. Mario exists, multiclassing into Healer wouldn't be a great idea).

A big old hammer. One he can hide in his back pocket preferably. Also potions of enlarge person in edible, mushroom shaped containers.
What about a Stone Hammer? :smallwink:
As for power-up mushrooms, Apprentice/UMD ranks mean Mario can make use of infusions (from Masters of the Wild), which are basically scrolls in plant/root/fungi form.

Telonius
2019-09-09, 10:29 AM
He's able to swim underwater either indefinitely or until the time runs out (usually 300 seconds), depending on what game you're playing.

He has max ranks in Lucid Dreaming (explaining the existence of Mario 2).

Trandir
2019-09-09, 10:38 AM
Among other things he needs to have throw anything.
Mario over the cours of the years has throw almost anything: from vegetables to Bowser.
And lets not forget max ranks on jump.

Telonius
2019-09-09, 11:22 AM
I'd say that Mario is not a Dwarf. While he has been rocking the mustache for decades, he's never had a beard.

He's been a referee for boxing (Punch-Out) and tennis (from the "Tennis" game in 1984 on), so maybe a couple of ranks in Profession (Referee) might be in order.

Erit
2019-09-09, 01:11 PM
I'd say that Mario is not a Dwarf. While he has been rocking the mustache for decades, he's never had a beard.

Strongheart Halfling, maybe, with some form of Powerful Build?

Thurbane
2019-09-09, 05:07 PM
There was a dwarf miniature from one of the early sets that we always joked looked like Mario...I'll see if I can find it.

Here we go:

https://52f4e29a8321344e30ae-0f55c9129972ac85d6b1f4e703468e6b.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/products/pictures/122985.jpg

KillianHawkeye
2019-09-09, 07:49 PM
wow, paint his outfit red and blue and that's pretty spot on

Rawrawrawr
2019-09-10, 03:41 PM
If you want to capture his ability to grow twice his a size as a dwarfy character, Duergar is always an option - a dwarf, but with built-in Enlarge Self or Expansion. Alternatively, if you're already going barbarian, you could take Stoneblessed (Goliath) and go for Goliath Mountain Rage.

If you can find a way to add fire damage to your unarmed strikes, and then get a wand flower of Blood Wind, that's another way to throw "fireballs".

But ultimately, Mario convinces people he's a hero by jumping, so he's obviously a jumplomancer.

Zaq
2019-09-10, 09:51 PM
But ultimately, Mario convinces people he's a hero by jumping, so he's obviously a jumplomancer.

I mean, that's a repeated plot point in SMRPG...

DMVerdandi
2019-09-10, 11:22 PM
Luigi[Waruigi Waaah]
Human Erudite[319+Convert Spell to power] 20/Factotum 1/Unarmed Swordsage19

Stats:[Str:16,Dex:20,Con:12,Int:20,Wis:15,Cha:8]

Weapons: Unarmed Attack,+1 Sizing,metalline club

Feats: Magical Apprentice,Able Learner[Bonus:Imprint stone],Chameleon Crafter,[Bonus:Extend power], Persistent Power, Superior Unarmed attack, Versatile Unarmed Attack [Bonus: Quicken power],

Notable spells and powers:
>Jump
>Greater Dimension Jumper
>Greater Teleport
>Energy Ray
>Summon Undead V (Summoning Boos...scary...)
>Summon Natures Ally IX (For summoning Yoshi)
>Lesser orb of Acid(Green Fire from Smash)
>ALL THE BIGBY'S HAND SPELLS FOR MASTER HAND
>Phantasmal killer, power word spells, fear spells. Have him be a debuffer based on horror and spreading his cowardice

>Divine power,Heroics,greater mighty wallop

>Maneuvers mostly diamond mind and shadow hand, with a little setting sun.

Malphegor
2019-09-11, 10:56 AM
There's probably something doable with a Scout/Ranger Swift Hunter build to replicate a platformer character.

Buufreak
2019-09-11, 11:02 AM
With a heart raised on Mario 3, I propose Mario is a tanuki hengyoki.

liquidformat
2019-09-11, 11:16 AM
Mantis Jump from sword and fist is a mario feat, also blade dancer is a great mario prc

EndlessKng
2019-09-11, 01:14 PM
If you want to capture his ability to grow twice his a size as a dwarfy character, Duergar is always an option - a dwarf, but with built-in Enlarge Self or Expansion. Alternatively, if you're already going barbarian, you could take Stoneblessed (Goliath) and go for Goliath Mountain Rage.

If you can find a way to add fire damage to your unarmed strikes, and then get a wand flower of Blood Wind, that's another way to throw "fireballs".

So I looked up the original Jumplomancer build (or think it was the original), and it involved fighter and druid. And while you seem to have been joking... that isn't necessarily a bad option. He has many animal transformations, and while some are item based in the games, an argument could be made for them being wild shape uses. Alternatively, he could he a transmuter using the items as material components.