PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Dwarven Tree-Slayer (just for fun, but PEACH anyway)

DeTess
2019-09-09, 10:33 AM
As a natural consequence of OOtS 1179 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1179.html), I present to you, the Tree-Slayer

Hit die:
D12

Prerequisites:
Race:
any dwarf

BaB:
6+

Skills:
2 from: craft(carpentry) 5 ranks, Surival 5 ranks, knowledge(nature) 5 ranks

feats:
1 from: weapon focus(battleaxe), weapon focus(greataxe), weapon focus (dwarven war axe)

Class skills
The Dwarven tree Slayers’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), knowledge(nature), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level
4+int skill points

proficiencies:
The tree-slayer gets proficiency with handaxes, battleaxes, greataxes and dwarven war axes

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+1
+2
+0
+2
favored enemy(plants), rage 1/day

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+3
tree-slayer's mount

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+3
rage 2/day

4th
+4
+4
+1
+4
improved favored enemy(plants)

5th
+5
+4
+1
+4
Timberrrr!, rage 3/day, improved tree-slayer's mount

Favored enemy (plants)
At 1st level, the Dwarven tree-slayer gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of the plant type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against plant creatures.

At 4th level these bonuses increase by 2, dwarven tree-slayers automatically overcome DR of plant-creatures, and ignore the hardness of objects made primarily from wood.

Rage
At 1st level, the Dwarven tree slayer can fly into a rage once per day. This feature functions exactly like the barbarian feature. At 3rd and again at 5th level teh dwarven tree slayer gains an additional use per day of this ability.

Tree-slayer's mount
The Tree slayer gets a Dire beaver (https://koboldpress.com/our-dire-and-native-beaver/) that functions as a loyal mount. The dire beaver gets bonus HD, bonus natural armor and bonus strength equal to your class level. If the Dwarven tree slayer has the 'special mount', 'animal companion' or a similar feature, the dire beaver mount can be designated as the special mount, gaining all the benefits associated with the feature.

At 5th level, you can choose to gain a giant woodpecker as your mount instead. Use the giant eagle statblock and add the 'cleave trees' and 'spit splinters' abilities from the dire beaver.

If a dwarven tree-slayer loses their special mount, they need to perform the ritual of mighty blows to attract a new companion. To perform this ritual they need to find a mighty arboreal foe, with a trunk at least a meter in diameter, and fell it in single combat using an axe of their choice. Succeeding at this ritual will attract a new mount that will serve the dwarven tree-slayer loyally.

Timberrrr!
At 5th level, the Dwarven Tree-Slayer gains the ability o inflict critical hits on creatures of the plant type and the threat range and critical multiplier of all axes used by the dwarven tree-slayer against an enemy of the plant type is increased by one. In addition critical hits scored are confirmed automatically.

Doug Lampert
2019-09-09, 12:53 PM
You need to give this class the ability to critical against plants and against inanimate objects if they are trees.

Otherwise doubling the critical range and increasing the multiplier vs. plants does nothing.

DeTess
2019-09-09, 01:09 PM
You need to give this class the ability to critical against plants and against inanimate objects if they are trees.

Otherwise doubling the critical range and increasing the multiplier vs. plants does nothing.

Good catch! I've rolled that into the Timberrr! ability.

AchtungNight
2019-09-09, 05:14 PM
Great thread! Here are my thoughts-

Seeing the Treeslayers in OotS #1179, and watching the "Character Building" videos on Youtube got me thinking. I want to build such a character for my next D&D campaign. What might they be like?

Start as Dwarf, Ranger Variant. Favored Enemy Trees (obviously)- get bonuses against Treants and maybe Plant Creatures also such as Shambling Mounds and Myconids. Specialized in Axe as melee weapon. Some Sorcerer abilities- Fire & Lightning Spells. Mount / Animal Companion- Dire Beaver, Dire Woodpecker, maybe Giant Termite or Wood-Boring Beetle. Nature Skills for finding specific trees and surviving in the wild. Prime Requisites- Strength to cut trees down, Wisdom for Nature Skills, Dexterity to dodge falling trees.

The Timber! ability is cool. Maybe they can work with Thor or other clerics regularly for Fire & Lightning spells. Or ally with some Dark Destruction Druid variant.

Squire Doodad
2019-09-09, 08:17 PM
Great thread! Here are my thoughts-

Seeing the Treeslayers in OotS #1179, and watching the "Character Building" videos on Youtube got me thinking. I want to build such a character for my next D&D campaign. What might they be like?

Start as Dwarf, Ranger Variant. Favored Enemy Trees (obviously)- get bonuses against Treants and maybe Plant Creatures also such as Shambling Mounds and Myconids. Specialized in Axe as melee weapon. Some Sorcerer abilities- Fire & Lightning Spells. Mount / Animal Companion- Dire Beaver, Dire Woodpecker, maybe Giant Termite or Wood-Boring Beetle. Nature Skills for finding specific trees and surviving in the wild. Prime Requisites- Strength to cut trees down, Wisdom for Nature Skills, Dexterity to dodge falling trees.

The Timber! ability is cool. Maybe they can work with Thor or other clerics regularly for Fire & Lightning spells. Or ally with some Dark Destruction Druid variant.

Is there a Favored Enemy Plant? Just trees seems too specific- what if they were fighting a fern-mandrake? Or a Banana Tree?

Sir_Galliant
2019-09-09, 09:18 PM
Maybe treeslayers could have knowledge of making things from wood, an an ability similar to a dwarves' natural ability to detect unusual stonework, but wood instead of stone.