PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing an Artificer - Grafting Flesh

Nezkrul
2019-09-09, 11:45 AM
I’m building a BBEG. I need to make him a base artificer, but with as many different graft flesh feats as I can fit onto his build as possible. He is a mad scientist/frankenstein; performs experiments on himself, people and monsters alike, has no conscience, feels no remorse, enjoys his work. He will have many weird amalgams in his lair, horrible but effective.

Starting with human artificer, level 20, up to +2 la in acquired templates (born human, so no inherited) will have most of his own body parts replaced by grafts.

Gün
2019-09-09, 01:38 PM
Here is a transhumanism guide in 3.5 written by @Gavinfoxx. It is a fascinating read that utilizes grafts and some other stuff go for body augmentation.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z9NJIs751Af3i0IEIJwCkIp9H9YFiZYZ7u-wmYVaheI/edit

And there is also this.

Here're a few:

Let Me Touch Your Skin
So, find someone who can create and install illithid grafts (LoM). No, illithids are not a good idea here, because you'll wake up without a brain. Try a relatively trustworthy shapeshifter who can take the form of an illithid, or destroy the mind of an illithid and then use one of the myriad ways of inhabiting its body and do it yourself; those are much better ideas. Have 'em put you (or your body, at least) under for a few weeks (best done in quintessence) and remove your skin, turning it into an illithid humanoid skin graft. Now, ensure it's preserved via gentle repose or similar, and then enhance it as a magic item or twenty, which will take up your magic item slots, (?)(un)fortunately(?). Then reinstall.

My favorite is the below WoC sanctified psychoactive skin of proteus, with a built-in 'possum pouch that is itself enhanced as a handy haversack + sanctified enveloping pit (for a 10' x 10' x 50' haversack), with hands that act like gloves of the master strategist to shrink items and auto-store them in your pouch.

Now you're a shapeshifter who has his own video game inventory.

Holy Psychoactive Skin, Batman! (Meh; I'll think of something better to call it later.)
Use the Words of Creation (WoC) feat on a sanctified psychoactive skin of proteus. Now you've got +1 ML for fairly cheap on it, and you can use it to turn into creatures of 8 HD or lower. This works well for any psionic or magic item, really, but on the skin of proteus it's especially valuable.

liquidformat
2019-09-09, 03:16 PM
Your biggest struggle is going to be the lack of heal skill to obtain the Graft Flesh feat, unless you are going to have a minion/cohort in charge of the actual grafting. With that said the half golem templates, Tauric Creature and symbiotic creature templates are all great to use for a mad scientist/frankenstein BBEG.

TheCount
2019-09-10, 03:05 PM
A 2lvl dip into chameleon for a floating feat you can change every day.

Also, a way to get that 10 ranks in heal (at least, the original graft feat needed that)

Donors.

Nezkrul
2019-09-12, 12:11 PM
Could he polymorph or shapechange himself, then pick that chameleon bonus feat to be a racial specific graft feat, and have enough time to use it?

liquidformat
2019-09-12, 01:33 PM
your best option if you want to go graft heavy is to take the fleshwarper prc from Lords of Madness. It lets you take whatever grafting you want. Also take a look at Magic of Eberron for more grafts

CIDE
2019-09-13, 02:19 PM
You should look at the Renegade Mastermaker PrC. Even if you just steal some of their class features to dump onto an Artificer/fleshwarper/whatever. By level 10 they count as Warforged and can take Warforged components and feats and end up getting battlefists as part of the class. That's a way to really pile on components as grafts. If money is no issue they can be slotless.