PDA

View Full Version : What ways are there to learn/use additional languages?

lolcat
2019-09-09, 01:40 PM
Greetings playground!

The following scenario: My character took the reserve feat "summon elemental" at lvl 12, but did not think of learning the elemental languages back at character creation. The utility of the elementals is great, but to use it my character would need to be able to communicate with them in a more complex way and learning all 4 languages (ignan, terran, aquan, auran) seems like a tall order without currently having the speak language skill.
Any idea on how i can achieve that in a way that is usable over an entire (long) adventuring day?

Btw, character is Archivist 5 Runecaster 7.

Thanks!

liquidformat
2019-09-09, 01:46 PM
MIC has pearl of speech (think that is the name) which is ~500gp and allows you to know/speak all languages.

You could also get tongues permanency but I believe that is more expensive

ZamielVanWeber
2019-09-09, 02:11 PM
The Crystal Mask of Languages from MIC Grant's Knowledge of several (5?) Languages as long as you wear it.

ngilop
2019-09-09, 02:15 PM
MIC has pearl of speech (think that is the name) which is ~500gp and allows you to know/speak all languages.

You could also get tongues permanency but I believe that is more expensive

just a clarification: Each pearl is for 1 specific language, not all languages.

I normally had like a dozen and half languages known as a character on my int based casters. Spend 2 points get a language. As a caster you only need 1 or 2 actual skills so that why you can easily learn 1 or 2 languages a level and still have 2 or so skills leveling up.

lolcat
2019-09-09, 02:33 PM
Spend 2 points get a language. As a caster you only need 1 or 2 actual skills so that why you can easily learn 1 or 2 languages a level and still have 2 or so skills leveling up.

Don't you need speak language as a class skill for that?

ngilop
2019-09-09, 02:35 PM
2 skill points because it is a cross class skill, to my knowledge only bard has it as a class skill.

lolcat
2019-09-09, 02:43 PM
I did not realize that, thank you!

liquidformat
2019-09-09, 02:57 PM
2 skill points because it is a cross class skill, to my knowledge only bard has it as a class skill.

factotum too...

Afghanistan
2019-09-09, 04:53 PM
Master Linguist from Races of Eberron gives you a new language at every level. The feat is absolutely abyssmal because the game doesn't have many languages in core (20 in core, 4 of which you need to know) so ymmv.

I enjoy making up languages so that is definitely something always fun as well. Nothing is more satisfying than starting a conversation in Common and ending a conversation in Lingua-technis.

Zaq
2019-09-10, 02:19 AM
factotum too...

Also spellthief, fatemaker, and mage of the arcane order. And illumians automatically get it as well.

I know this off the top of my head because an Iron Chef character I built had all four of those elements and still took no ranks in Speak Language. Mostly because I had already finished the skill table by the time I noticed how many independent sources of SL I had, but still, what a weird coincidence, right?