PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian beastmaster

KyleG
2019-09-09, 06:32 PM
So a one shot level character is what im creating and would kinda like a He-man build for nostalgic. Current idea is Barb 5 and 3 beast ranger.
My questions are:
1.if revised ranger is allowed would you rule that the companion could have taken HD and asi for the 5 barbarian levels?
2. If no, is it worthwhile with such a weak companion?
3. Would a 5 ranger 3 barbarian be better?

Kane0
2019-09-09, 06:40 PM
Yeah I would advise a Revised Ranger 5 (or 6) then Barbarian 3 (or 2). Keep the companion away from the direct front line of combat and Reckless attack to try and draw attacks away from it. Are you going Wolf totem barb or something like ancestral guardian?

Although... I feel compelled to plug (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?595643-By-request-Workshopping-another-Ranger).

CTurbo
2019-09-10, 05:19 AM
So a one shot level character is what im creating and would kinda like a He-man build for nostalgic. Current idea is Barb 5 and 3 beast ranger.
My questions are:
1.if revised ranger is allowed would you rule that the companion could have taken HD and asi for the 5 barbarian levels?
2. If no, is it worthwhile with such a weak companion?
3. Would a 5 ranger 3 barbarian be better?

I love the idea of a Barbarian Beastmaster and it's on my to-do list for one day. I would only do this using the Revised Ranger though.

1. No it doesn't work that way, but talk to your DM
2. Wolf and Panther aren't THAT bad if using Revised
3. Yes Ranger 5/ Barb 3 would be better IMO.

The best thing about the Revised Beastmaster is 5 levels of Ranger combined with 5 levels of Fighter/Paladin/Barb gets both you and your companion 2 attacks per round as Extra Attack will stack with Coordinated Attack.

KyleG
2019-09-10, 06:07 AM
I love the idea of a Barbarian Beastmaster and it's on my to-do list for one day. I would only do this using the Revised Ranger though.

1. No it doesn't work that way, but talk to your DM
2. Wolf and Panther aren't THAT bad if using Revised
3. Yes Ranger 5/ Barb 3 would be better IMO.

The best thing about the Revised Beastmaster is 5 levels of Ranger combined with 5 levels of Fighter/Paladin/Barb gets both you and your companion 2 attacks per round as Extra Attack will stack with Coordinated Attack.

Just a one shot so only the one level. With maybe 3 encounters a BM 5 / barb 3 will let me rage in 2.