PDA

View Full Version : Psionics Limited to Level 9? Why?

kalos72
2019-09-09, 07:05 PM
In the FR world, why would Psionics be limited to level 9 like spells? Mystra doesnt control psionics?

Is there a RAW reference in the FR world?

Tvtyrant
2019-09-09, 07:13 PM
In FR when they transitioned to 3.0 Psionics and Magic became bound together, psionics no longer using sciences but disciplines and no longer ignoring magic resistance. It now imitates the weave but still is not of it.

Mechanically its because ye olde psionics were a mess, the new system is almost unrelated.

kalos72
2019-09-09, 07:27 PM
Ahh, that makes sense sadly.

Is there any documented reference to needing something like High Magic for psionics past 9th level? Or psionic rituals?

Feantar
2019-09-09, 07:45 PM
I seem to recall that Auppenser is in a coma since Jhaamdath fell (Auppenser is the god of psionics) and Mystra keeps his portfolio until he wakes up. So maybe that's why there's the limitation.

In general, anything psionic in FR lore has to do with that empire.

Psychoalpha
2019-09-09, 08:42 PM
Also maybe just 'because'? I mean, FR is one of the only settings to try and explain why spells are limited to 9th level, it's usually just 'because, that's why'. I mean why don't spell/psionic levels go up to 500? Because they don't. >_>

kalos72
2019-09-09, 09:05 PM
I seem to recall that Auppenser is in a coma since Jhaamdath fell (Auppenser is the god of psionics) and Mystra keeps his portfolio until he wakes up. So maybe that's why there's the limitation.

In general, anything psionic in FR lore has to do with that empire.

I do remember that line now...I wonder what they say about Sardior coming into the Psionics realm.

I mean, there is no real or lore tie between the Weave and Psionics other then the Auppenser is dead so someone needs to control things. If Sardior becomes strong enough I would think he would get control over the limitations.

My group is tied to Sardior so...I can see a new campaign hook growing here.