PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sorlock Archetypes vs Bladelock/Padlock

Expected
2019-09-09, 07:43 PM
Assuming a character will be a Half-Elf Divine Soul OR Shadow Sorcerer 17/Pact of the Tome Hexblade Warlock 3 with Elven Accuracy, and only having 2 Eldritch Invocations (Really only one because Agonizing Blast is a must), there are a few invocations that seem like the best choice: Aspect of the Moon (coffeelock), Book of Ancient Secrets, Devil's Sight (for Divine Soul), or Repelling Blast.

I can attempt coffeelock but I will have to choose the Shadow archetype if I want Darkness. How good is coffeelock and is it worth losing Repelling Blast and Book of Ancient Secrets as well as the utility from Divine Soul? Is Darkness + Devil's Sight/Eyes of the Dark worth using since Darkness competes with Hex for concentration? Book of Ancient secrets lets me take advantage of rituals (we don't have a Wizard in my party). Which of these is optimal?

Bobthewizard
2019-09-09, 07:59 PM
I love divine soul for a sorcadin. Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians with a paladin's armor and smites is amazing.

But I don't like it for a sorlock. Quickened EB/AB is better than Spiritual Weapon, and you won't have the AC to wade into melee for Spirit Guardians.

I'd go Shadow sorcerer. Then you won't need Devil's sight. Book of Ancient Secrets can be mostly replaced with ritual caster.

So I vote Repelling Blast. Eldritch Blast is what you'll be doing most turns in combat so make it cooler and better.

Expected
2019-09-09, 08:26 PM
I agree. Divine Soul is amazing for Sorcadin and I would build one but we're using pointbuy so it's too MAD and hungry for ASI/feats.

I might go Shadow Sorcerer and pick up Repelling Blast or Aspect of the Moon for coffeelock but I'd love to hear more opinions.

In addition to my questions, is the bladelock better than the Sorlock after XGTE? If so, how do you build it? And how does it compare to the Padlock (Paladin/Warlock)?

Crgaston
2019-09-09, 10:14 PM
I agree. Divine Soul is amazing for Sorcadin and I would build one but we're using pointbuy so it's too MAD and hungry for ASI/feats.

I might go Shadow Sorcerer and pick up Repelling Blast or Aspect of the Moon for coffeelock but I'd love to hear more opinions.

In addition to my questions, is the bladelock better than the Sorlock after XGTE? If so, how do you build it? And how does it compare to the Padlock (Paladin/Warlock)?

Do you mean pure Hexblade, pure Pact of the Blade of some other patron?

Expected
2019-09-09, 10:45 PM
Do you mean pure Hexblade, pure Pact of the Blade of some other patron?

I forgot to clarify, yes, pure Hexblade and Pact of the Blade.

Nhorianscum
2019-09-09, 11:45 PM
Assuming a character will be a Half-Elf Divine Soul OR Shadow Sorcerer 17/Pact of the Tome Hexblade Warlock 3 with Elven Accuracy, and only having 2 Eldritch Invocations (Really only one because Agonizing Blast is a must), there are a few invocations that seem like the best choice: Aspect of the Moon (coffeelock), Book of Ancient Secrets, Devil's Sight (for Divine Soul), or Repelling Blast.

I can attempt coffeelock but I will have to choose the Shadow archetype if I want Darkness. How good is coffeelock and is it worth losing Repelling Blast and Book of Ancient Secrets as well as the utility from Divine Soul? Is Darkness + Devil's Sight/Eyes of the Dark worth using since Darkness competes with Hex for concentration? Book of Ancient secrets lets me take advantage of rituals (we don't have a Wizard in my party). Which of these is optimal?

Progression on sorlock is like...

Sorc 1 or 7/Lock1/Sorc11/Lock2-3/Sorc 17-18.

So, darkness/devil sight is crap, use twinned greater invis.

Coffeelock is crap because it competes directly with using that 6th-9th level slot when we get it.

You can go into more than 1-lock earlier but it's not providing a meaningful increase in damage until tier 3, and it's always a tradeoff in terms of control.

Crgaston
2019-09-10, 07:05 AM
I forgot to clarify, yes, pure Hexblade and Pact of the Blade.

Depends on how you want to play, but a Sorlock who Quickens Agonizing Repelling Eldritch Blast is absolutely fearsome.

Bloodcloud
2019-09-10, 08:28 AM
Your DM might straight disallow coffeelocking as it is cheesy moldy cheese. I'd recommend against.

If you are sorlocking, going agonizing/repelling blast is a must imo. Repelling at least adds some strategic positioning to your gameplay and allows you to combo with another character setting up damage zones.

After that, party composition would help find the better subclass. Hexblade giving out medium armor and shield and the curse is hard to beat though.

Bobthewizard
2019-09-10, 09:50 AM
Definitely take Hexblade for a sorlock. Medium armor and shield and Hexblade's curse is better than any other patron for a 3 level dip. Any pact is fine.

Agree with skipping coffee lock. Most DMs will ban it. And if they don't, unlimited spells slots and sorcery points is so powerful it's boring.