PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Chaotic Evil Item

blackjack50
2019-09-09, 09:09 PM
I had planned out a chaotic evil character. I plan on having a high deception and persuasion. The way I intend on being evil so as not to disrupt the party is to randomly give out something that is very dangerous. Maybe something that causes a lot of temptation. My first idea was basically A deck of many things, but that is already too powerful and to random. So what I am curious about is if I could hand out something like magic wands? Would a random person be able to use this at will? So like a level zero NPC? My only other idea was like a necklace of fireballs type thing. But that is a little too hand grenade-ish to tempt the average person.

Does anyone have any other ideas on items? I am working with my DM but he is a bit busy for the next couple of weeks and cannot respond. I’d like to have a few items planned to see what he thinks. It doesn’t have to be super destructive, but it does need to disrupt things if it is used.

RickAllison
2019-09-09, 09:28 PM
Wand of Wonder is an existing item in that direction. You can adapt the Feywild Barbarian or Wild Sorcerer tables for it.

CTurbo
2019-09-10, 06:57 AM
I have used a cursed ring that turned an attuned wearer CE and it worked just fine.

I know other people that have used various items that caused the player to switch to the opposite alignment completely.

Porcupinata
2019-09-10, 07:03 AM
A Wand of Magic Missile is a cheap item that doesn't have any class restrictions and doesn't even require attunement.

Give it to a commonor with a grudge against another commoner and you're effectively giving them a loaded gun that will never miss.

RickAllison
2019-09-10, 08:40 AM
A Wand of Magic Missile is a cheap item that doesn't have any class restrictions and doesn't even require attunement.

Give it to a commonor with a grudge against another commoner and you're effectively giving them a loaded gun that will never miss.

.... that’s gloriously evil because you’re spreading evil in the world. I play an Artillerist who was going to make those anyway. This could be a wonderful plan.

blackjack50
2019-09-10, 09:59 AM
I have used a cursed ring that turned an attuned wearer CE and it worked just fine.

I know other people that have used various items that caused the player to switch to the opposite alignment completely.

See. I like this. But I also was thinking about maybe something that curses the person if they use it. Like the Monkey’s Paw type thing. Give them a wish, but the wish is awful. “I wish I was rich,” but then their family dies and that is how they get rich. That kind of thing.

FilthyLucre
2019-09-10, 10:02 AM
I had planned out a chaotic evil character. I plan on having a high deception and persuasion. The way I intend on being evil so as not to disrupt the party is to randomly give out something that is very dangerous. Maybe something that causes a lot of temptation. My first idea was basically A deck of many things, but that is already too powerful and to random. So what I am curious about is if I could hand out something like magic wands? Would a random person be able to use this at will? So like a level zero NPC? My only other idea was like a necklace of fireballs type thing. But that is a little too hand grenade-ish to tempt the average person.

Does anyone have any other ideas on items? I am working with my DM but he is a bit busy for the next couple of weeks and cannot respond. I’d like to have a few items planned to see what he thinks. It doesn’t have to be super destructive, but it does need to disrupt things if it is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVe86MTk_60&t=710s

Guy Lombard-O
2019-09-10, 10:04 AM
See. I like this. But I also was thinking about maybe something that curses the person if they use it. Like the Monkey’s Paw type thing. Give them a wish, but the wish is awful. “I wish I was rich,” but then their family dies and that is how they get rich. That kind of thing.

Very "Needful Things".

RickAllison
2019-09-10, 10:06 AM

I think it'd be better to have a curse of inverse-Seeming. Make it subtle at first, things like asking them for a Perception check "But nothing is there..." or letting them know that someone is pulling a knife as they are talking to another PC. It'd require DM buy-in, but you could really crank up the paranoia.

CTurbo
2019-09-10, 11:05 AM

That ring was cursed. First of all, it couldn't be removed from a living "host" without some powerful divine magic, and secondly, it held the soul of an ancient powerful demon that subtly tried to coerce(usually in the form of dreams) the wearer into embracing both evil and chaos, and finally, it pretty much gave "inspiration" for doing something evil or super chaotic. It basically made the wearing "feel good" afterwards. The main benefits of the ring was it granted resistance to psychic damage and the whole inspiration thing after an evil act.

blackjack50
2019-09-10, 11:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVe86MTk_60&t=710s

What about this? What is your point? The cardinal rule is don’t screw other players. That is easily done by targeting NPCs. Not players. And always talk to the DM.

This character is likely going to be someone who switches alignments as the campaign goes on. But to start him out, I want his evil to be chaotic.

Wildarm
2019-09-10, 11:19 AM

I would go with magic potions which carry a curse or a hex. Warlock or Artificer would be suitable enough. Have the potions function just as they would normally but carries a curse or effect that lingers. Think alignment shifting, madness, addiction, control, bad luck, missing memories, blackouts where they did bad things etc.

blackjack50
2019-09-10, 11:20 AM
That ring was cursed. First of all, it couldn't be removed from a living "host" without some powerful divine magic, and secondly, it held the soul of an ancient powerful demon that subtly tried to coerce(usually in the form of dreams) the wearer into embracing both evil and chaos, and finally, it pretty much gave "inspiration" for doing something evil or super chaotic. It basically made the wearing "feel good" afterwards. The main benefits of the ring was it granted resistance to psychic damage and the whole inspiration thing after an evil act.

Interesting. A slow corrupting force? Having the person hearing voices and such? That has a lot of potential.

opaopajr
2019-09-10, 05:24 PM
I would go with magic potions which carry a curse or a hex. Warlock or Artificer would be suitable enough. Have the potions function just as they would normally but carries a curse or effect that lingers. Think alignment shifting, madness, addiction, control, bad luck, missing memories, blackouts where they did bad things etc.

Potions are ideal because they lower the stakes, and thus lower the setting disruption. The GM can set the potion uses so as to temper its frequency. And, potions are generally usable by all thus you can assure PC mischief-toys will go off. :smalltongue:

As for needing a curse or hex? Not necessarily needed. :smallsmile: People can mischievous and creative on their own without extra punishment. Sometimes feeding a market that desires malice is enough.

Maybe have this PC promote their services as a genuine (anthropological usage) 'sorceror' (which means a magician that focuses on casting negative spells on client's enemies). :smallcool: This way the GM does not have to make new content and widgets beyond creating a whispered black magic services market and giving this PC a reputation. Then whatever spells this PC has can be reassessed for creative malicious uses as per clients' wishes! :smallbiggrin:

Minor Illusion one-use potions sell themselves! Totally plausible, and affordable!, cantrip potion.

Sigreid
2019-09-10, 05:38 PM
Opium or an in game equivalent seems to do the trick.

blackjack50
2019-09-13, 10:54 AM
Opium or an in game equivalent seems to do the trick.

Lol. I’m going a little bit less drug dealer (for profit evil), and a little bit more like “curses.” I’m still figuring out how to flavor my character. I was thinking a bit vodooish. But also was thinking a bit like maybe Bettlejuice with less ambition lol.

blackjack50
2019-09-13, 10:58 AM
Potions are ideal because they lower the stakes, and thus lower the setting disruption. The GM can set the potion uses so as to temper its frequency. And, potions are generally usable by all thus you can assure PC mischief-toys will go off. :smalltongue:

As for needing a curse or hex? Not necessarily needed. :smallsmile: People can mischievous and creative on their own without extra punishment. Sometimes feeding a market that desires malice is enough.

Maybe have this PC promote their services as a genuine (anthropological usage) 'sorceror' (which means a magician that focuses on casting negative spells on client's enemies). :smallcool: This way the GM does not have to make new content and widgets beyond creating a whispered black magic services market and giving this PC a reputation. Then whatever spells this PC has can be reassessed for creative malicious uses as per clients' wishes! :smallbiggrin:

Minor Illusion one-use potions sell themselves! Totally plausible, and affordable!, cantrip potion.

Thank you. Talked to the DM and we like the idea of potions. We are working up the ideas for what the potions are and what happens to the person. Some are sad. Some are amusing.

GnollPaladin
2019-09-13, 11:03 AM
Garant the population something with permanent zone of truth. Works best in places that value honesty... but aren’t in practice.

blackjack50
2019-09-13, 11:40 AM
Garant the population something with permanent zone of truth. Works best in places that value honesty... but aren’t in practice.

Oh man. How might one market that in a potion? Make it impossible to lie is a good consequence of a potion.

Sigreid
2019-09-13, 12:12 PM
You could always watch the old Friday the 13th TV series. What you're talking about is kind of what the whole series was about.

Nhorianscum
2019-09-13, 12:19 PM
Lol. I’m going a little bit less drug dealer (for profit evil), and a little bit more like “curses.” I’m still figuring out how to flavor my character. I was thinking a bit vodooish. But also was thinking a bit like maybe Bettlejuice with less ambition lol.

Philter of love is pretty great.

opaopajr
2019-09-13, 04:56 PM
Good to hear we all helped you and your GM! :smallcool: GMing can be hard work, and can easily get out of hand making new stuff, so it's good to share experience where things worked and why. "Start Small" is one of the better slices of wisdom out there.

Good idea! This is a good time to stress this: The Whole of D&D Material is Good One-Shot Fodder!

Any Feature, Advantage, Proficiency, Feat, et cetera can be packed into item design. Just make rarer, higher level things take more time, effort, experience, and resources to make. Maybe have it require the services of someone from said Class, Race, or Background, whatever to make it complex.

Want an Oil of Darkvision (lasts 'one night' 8 hours)? Easy. Prestidigitation Laundry Powder? Done.
Beer of Second Wind Confidence (lasts until sober again)? Ta-Dah!

The printed materials are your oyster, and their one-shot nature are the campaign's seat belt. :smallsmile:

Philter of love is pretty great.

A classic! Even 'well intentioned' advantage can end up wrong and messy. :smallbiggrin:

You could always watch the old Friday the 13th TV series. What you're talking about is kind of what the whole series was about.

That is a GREAT idea. :smallcool: The show follows the negative consequences of seemingly beneficial artifacts -- all fueled by death and mayhem -- and how its temptation damns people. Great show to crib notes off of.