PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed A ham fisted short 3.5 balance approach

gooddragon1
2019-09-09, 10:43 PM
Deleted content

daremetoidareyo
2019-09-09, 10:50 PM
+Casters are limited to 1 summon max (2 for druids).
+Druids lose animé companion and wild shape.
+Shapechange becomes exactly like polymorph, but with 25 hd cap on targets that aren't summoned or called
+Gated creatures are able to request payment, more likely if higher HD than you.
+Polymorph any object cast on something already affected by polymorph any object dispels the first one.

A ham fisted approach.

Casters must become wereboar monks.

Boom! Ham-fisted.

DrMotives
2019-09-10, 12:24 AM
And yet no one comments on druids not having an animé companion yet? I thought the waifu body pillow was their defining feature.

Endarire
2019-09-10, 01:26 AM
A better approach is to discourage or ban anyone from playing classes of tier 4 and below. It's probably more fun that way.

Palanan
2019-09-10, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by gooddragon1
Druids lose animé companion....

Losing that otaku sidekick really hurts.

Malphegor
2019-09-10, 07:24 AM
And yet no one comments on druids not having an animé companion yet? I thought the waifu body pillow was their defining feature.

my brain just went a weird path blending different anime and rpg conventions together and I think I have the skeleton of how to build a harem show protagonist character but I really don't want to do it.

Be an orc.

Be a strong, charismatic orc. Barbarian.

Orc warlord+Eye of Gruumsh+Dungeon Lord. I'd wiggle in thrallherd in there too if we can squeeze in psionics into a barbarian chassis. Basically you need maximum quantity of waifus and or husbandos for the audience to latch onto and be disappointed in the writer's own biases.

So you all live in a shared accomodation student dungeon outside the normal adventuring routes and you have a will-they-won't-they relationship with the orcs that your personality and willpower dominate.

But the truth is nobody just communicates that they want to get together and that's the justification for 3 seasons of 20 seasons that ends up in our orc overlord getting together with the first minion (almost always the tsundere one who's the hardest to get to know with a daaark backstory involving a loved one of theirs in the past) they met in episode 1, meaning 3 seasons have been a total waste of everyone's time.

This would also be the first time a relatively macho character has been the protagonist for a harem plot.

Gnaeus
2019-09-10, 09:43 AM
Going back to original post. It kicks Druid down probably into high T3 by functionally removing a big part of their list. Wizard has a sad but still has 20 ways to break the game. Cleric/artificer/psion barely notice.

liquidformat
2019-09-10, 10:24 AM
+Casters are limited to 1 summon max (2 for druids).
+Druids lose animé companion and wild shape.
+Shapechange becomes exactly like polymorph, but with 25 hd cap on targets that aren't summoned or called
+Gated creatures are able to request payment, more likely if higher HD than you.
+Polymorph any object cast on something already affected by polymorph any object dispels the first one.

A ham fisted approach.

I mean honestly this doesn't do much to balance the game across the board it just dramatically drops druid power level with little affect to clerics, wizards and other tier 1s.

If you really want to make a dramatic balance point adjustment with little effort I have found instead taking away all spells that are level 7+ pre epic does great. I leave tier 1 caster with 7+ spell slots so they can meta magic spells up to 9 if they want. It has opened up a lot of games people are willing to take half progression prcs and take them for longer as the hurt is not as big with the spells limited.

As far as removing animal companion from druid I think that is kind of mean, that is one of the big reasons people like druids, without it you might as well just be a cleric. Wild shape can be found in enough place that it isn't that horrible to remove it. Though I would suggest adding a new base class that focuses around wild shape as the other wild shape classes don't get the full range until someone is going MoMFs.

Asmotherion
2019-09-10, 10:37 AM
So i can't shapechange into a zodar for wish spamming but i can still get an easy Caster Level 60?

in all honesty there's two approaches to balance at high levels. Either a ton of houserules and negative interpretations of any unclear RAW or embrace that balance is unreachable at high levels and optimise boss fights at the same level as the party. i find the 2nd more fun and creative.

Troacctid
2019-09-10, 01:45 PM
More than half your nerfs are to 8th and 9th level spells. Why don't you just run a lower level game? Most campaigns never even come close to 15th level anyway. Or, if you want to run high levels, ban all spells above 6th level or whatever. Much simpler fix.

Karl Aegis
2019-09-10, 06:44 PM
Not allowing scrolls of 5th level or higher to be readily available probably does more.

daremetoidareyo
2019-09-10, 08:44 PM
My assumption here is that a problem is that casters can stomp all over combat. They have spells that trivialize it, but in my opinion, those changes should reduce some of that, and have more reliance on primary combat characters. Other parts might then be more manageable.

I'm definitely in agreement that it's better to have mutual trust and that you shouldn't try to regulate a game so much to have fun (if I understood an earlier post correctly), but I figured I'd float this viewpoint and the initial post as an idea. Maybe for players and the dm to look at, but also for evaluation here. It looks like I was wrong on this one, and it did feel a bit blegh. It was nice to see the feedback though to get a better idea of if it would help or hurt (thanks for the replies, and the pun).

2 racial hitdice +2 LA for the were boar template, and a level blown on monk should fix all that in a ham-fisted sort of way. I'm tellin ya, it's fullproof.

Zaq
2019-09-10, 09:50 PM
Losing that otaku sidekick really hurts.

Druids are pretty solid and can easily turn into snakes...