PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Class ~ Dragon's Soul

TheClaimer
2019-09-10, 12:19 AM
OK folks, after a lot of feedback from here and friends I've significantly reworked this class I've been working on building. Basic idea is a Dragonborn that has much closer ties to their draconic heritage than most. Perhaps their ancestor was a particularly powerful dragon, or maybe there were hatched from a discarded dragon egg that wasn't blessed by Bahamut or Tiamut. Whatever the case may be, they've found themselves to be far more dragon like than their peers, and chosen to lean into this and capitalize on it for greatness.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Aqj9yZcH09TTglxI3Y7xY_U8YuzW?e=SKHbLC

I've tried to base it loosely off the Paladin class, adding in it's own version of the Warlock's invocations at a reduced amount to account to less over all features and not having the expanded spell lists that come with oaths.

JNAProductions
2019-09-10, 10:28 AM
Why does it get three skills?

Why does Unarmored Defense not reference Dexterity at all?

What happens if you're not a dragonborn and select this class?

Draconic Polymoprh is okay when it's a Wyrmling. When it's a Young Dragon, 2-5 times per short rest, that's crazy.

Path of Heart is too good-subtle casting on everything is ridiculous.

Path of Mind is too good-as written, you can gain proficiency in literally every skill and tool. Also grants Reliable Talent, which is way too good when combined with Proficiency in EVERYTHING.

Path of Might needs a "When you start with at least 1 HP" on regen. As written, it works at 0.

Overall, this class has way too much going on. I'd recommend paring it down to a Dragonborn-only Paladin subclass, instead of a class on its own.

TheClaimer
2019-09-10, 12:14 PM
Why does it get three skills?

This was a holdover when it was based on another class. Has been updated to match Pally's two skills

Why does Unarmored Defense not reference Dexterity at all?

Two reasons, one thematic, the other mechanical. Thematically I wanted it to be based around the Dragon's Soul ignoring wounds through hardened scales and sheer force of will. Mechanically I felt that using dex would make it too MAD for the non combat sub classes.

What happens if you're not a dragonborn and select this class?

Language has been updated to indicate this is only for the dragonborn race

Draconic Polymoprh is okay when it's a Wyrmling. When it's a Young Dragon, 2-5 times per short rest, that's crazy.

You're right. Re-checking the CR ratings, the young dragons are far more powerful than I originally though. Apotheosis has been reworked to provide a once per long rest only transformation, and have removed the language increasing the number of transformations on wyrmlings to keep it at 2 per rest.

Path of Heart is too good-subtle casting on everything is ridiculous.

I actually had others indicate it was too weak for a class feature. It has been updated to be a limited use feature instead of blanket.

Path of Mind is too good-as written, you can gain proficiency in literally every skill and tool. Also grants Reliable Talent, which is way too good when combined with Proficiency in EVERYTHING.
Has been reworked to more closely match the knowledge domain benefits it is based on. now only grants 2 additional skills, gives expertise in said skills, and grants two languages. Draconic Talent has been scaled back to only grant expertise in two additional skills, dropping the reliable talent entirely. This keeps the subclass theme of a highly skilled individual without being broke.

Path of Might needs a "When you start with at least 1 HP" on regen. As written, it works at 0.

Updated. Good catch.

Overall, this class has way too much going on. I'd recommend paring it down to a Dragonborn-only Paladin subclass, instead of a class on its own.

With the adjustments I've made do you still feel the same? If so, do you have any further ideas on paring back how much is going on?

JNAProductions
2019-09-10, 12:46 PM
I'm having trouble getting it to load again, but if you made the changes you said, it should be a lot better.

I'd make Unarmored Defense 10+Dex+your choice of Con or Cha, but not 10+Cha+Con.

TheClaimer
2019-09-10, 02:58 PM
I think it may because I accidentally left it up and open in my browser while I'm working. Should all show there now. What is your main concern about the unarmored defense? Just odd that it doesn't use dex or more of a balance concern?

JNAProductions
2019-09-10, 03:05 PM
I think it may because I accidentally left it up and open in my browser while I'm working. Should all show there now. What is your main concern about the unarmored defense? Just odd that it doesn't use dex or more of a balance concern?

Both of those.

TheClaimer
2019-09-10, 07:53 PM
I guess I can see where you're coming from on this. Makes it not MAD enough since dex could be completely ignored. I hadn't considered that. Updated like you suggested to be 10+dex+con/cha