PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need advice for melee Sorlock

apan91
2019-09-10, 02:59 AM
Hello,

I am creating a melee Sorlock character (warlock3/sorc17) based on the hexblade patron and using quickened Green-Flamed Blade. I am unsure about the sorcerer bloodline though. I think the best options are Dragon and Divine.

Dragon will give me +CHA damage on GFB (x2 if quickened), and +1HP/level. (13+DEX AC is a bit redundant since I have medium armor proficiency)

Divine will give me the whole cleric spell list to choose spells from, and +2d4 on a saving throw or attack roll once per short rest. (empowered healing is not important since I will most likely be taking Gift of the Ever-Living Ones).

I think Divine might be a bit more powerful, but I am worried it will make the character too squishy. Any advice is welcome.

TLDR: Dragon or divine bloodline for melee sorlock?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-10, 03:16 AM
Divine have more spells that work great for melee.

Armor of Agathys will solve you HP problem and mid armor will make you feel defended.

I myself like the shadow but it depends on your party and your ability to use darkness in a way that will not **** up your party.
Storm can also work for the movement.

I play right now a melee range Sorcelock (I use crossbow Expert to shoot in melee) and shadow work great as I am able to insulate a dangerous enemies with darkness and give my party a safe option to get rid of the other enemies.

I am not liking dragon because it make you want to lock yourself into a single type of damage and immunities exist and it look like all the ways to make immunity into a resistance or non existent are not existing.

If you choose dragon or Divine I will say Divine for melee range.

Blood of Gaea
2019-09-10, 04:10 AM
Go variant human to pick up warcaster at 1st level and the combination of medium armor, a shield, and armor of agatyhs will make you reasonably tough.

Though honestly, this feels like a weird way to go about a Shillelagh Arcana Cleric build.

Khrysaes
2019-09-10, 04:38 AM
Hello,

I am creating a melee Sorlock character (warlock3/sorc17) based on the hexblade patron and using quickened Green-Flamed Blade. I am unsure about the sorcerer bloodline though. I think the best options are Dragon and Divine.

Dragon will give me +CHA damage on GFB (x2 if quickened), and +1HP/level. (13+DEX AC is a bit redundant since I have medium armor proficiency)

Divine will give me the whole cleric spell list to choose spells from, and +2d4 on a saving throw or attack roll once per short rest. (empowered healing is not important since I will most likely be taking Gift of the Ever-Living Ones).

I think Divine might be a bit more powerful, but I am worried it will make the character too squishy. Any advice is welcome.

I would go divine because of Spirit Guardians. Makes it harder for things to escape from you, especially if you have earth tremor to make it difficult terrain, and distant spell metamagic. Spirit guardians slow stacks with difficult terrain for a -75% speed. Pairs well with the Polearm master and Warcaster feats.

Just take the dodge action and walk around keeping bad guys in range and they wont be able to escape you, especially if you have a mount.

Alternatively, if you are allowed to take Ravnican backgrounds, they give you additional spells to pick from on your spell lists and that includes the Orzhov Representative which has both Guidance and Spirit Guardians, so you could pick Dragon AND get spirit guardians.

CTurbo
2019-09-10, 05:11 AM
Stone Sorcerer all the way. The only 2 ability scores you'll care about is Con and Cha. You could even dump Dex.

Nhorianscum
2019-09-10, 05:19 AM
Hello,

Divine is fat as hell with extent metamagic aid+death ward+hero's feat.

Draconic hits harder turn 1 and has more flexibility in terms of metamagic choice.

They're pretty even up to tier 4 where Divine is a runaway winner.

For mele Sorc/Cleric and Sorc/Paladin are preferred imo