PDA

View Full Version : Advice on an Appropriate Gift for a Character

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-10-14, 10:38 AM
I have a party of four Raptoran's about to leave on their Walk of the Four Winds. Each of them is recieving a special gift before they leave. I've already decided what three out the four are recieving, but I'm stuck on what to give the last one. The gifts so far are:

For the Ranger, a short sword. (He already has a bow, that he made himself)
For the Druid, her animal companion, a Hawk.
For the cleric, a footbow, because he really likes flying/gliding.

The last character is a soon-to-be warlock. (He hasn't discovered that he's a warlock in-game yet.) He's a really good runner (run feat), but there's not really much else to say about him. I have no idea what to give him.
A couple of things to keep in mind: These are first level characters- no magic items. Also, forged metal is quite rare and valuable in this area. (ie. that short sword is much more valuable than the other gifts.)

UserClone
2007-10-14, 10:40 AM
Isn't there some kind of Leaf-Weave armor in that RoTW book? Would that work or do warlocks have ASF%?

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-10-14, 10:45 AM
That's not a bad idea, but he already has some leather armour. Warlocks can wear light armour without ASF.

de-trick
2007-10-14, 10:50 AM
mmmmmhhhh you said no magic items, at first a wand of magic missile, or a spell component pouch or maybe a masterwork staff

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-10-14, 10:54 AM
He doesn't need a spell component pouch and he's already got a weapon. (A cheap one, but still) No magic items, so the wand is out.

Hario
2007-10-14, 11:13 AM
how is the cleric flying/gliding if they are level one, and embarking on the walk of four winds, if they are flying that means as long as they have a big enough con modifier to go up 40 feet a round they pass the test, and raptorans don't start flying until level 5, though I do think they can glide before then.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-10-14, 11:16 AM
He's not really flying yet, he's just gliding. However, he took some flight related feat from the RotW book. Maybe I should have just wrote gliding. Either way though, that's not really what this thread is about.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-10-14, 11:20 AM
Drugs, lots of drugs. =P

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-14, 11:30 AM
Raptorans have talons right? So how about metal caps for the talons that give a bonus to gripping (i.e. balance checks).

UserClone
2007-10-14, 11:40 AM
I think the LW armor fits the area/budget, plus if it's MW then later on he can have it enchanted, thus it will still be around as a reminder of way back when, but will still be viable as an AC boost. My 2 cp.:smallwink:

EDIT: You would think with the rarity of metal and all, that the Shortsword would HAVE to be MWk. They would treat it with the respect that such rare material deserves, wouldn't they? An take their time crafting a near-perfect sword?

EDIT2: In fact, you could make all the items masterwork, and give the Druid a Falconer's glove (masterwork also) which gives him a +2 to handle animal checks made for Raptor-type-birds.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-10-14, 12:56 PM
The metal caps are an okay idea, but there's the problems of metal being rare, and that it's not really specificly benificial to him.
Making the items masterwork is a good idea. I think I'll do that. I might end up going with the LW armour, but I have some time still before I actually have to make a decision, so I'm going to see if anyone comes up with something else.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-14, 12:59 PM
The metal caps are an okay idea, but there's the problems of metal being rare, and that it's not really specificly benificial to him.
Making the items masterwork is a good idea. I think I'll do that. I might end up going with the LW armour, but I have some time still before I actually have to make a decision, so I'm going to see if anyone comes up with something else.

Because metal is so rare it is a great gift. Basically, I was thinking a +5 bonus to balance and climb checks, so he can now run on tree branches and such no problem. It just gives him more maneuverability at the low levels.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-10-14, 01:04 PM
Hmm... I didn't thing of running on tree branches and such. That's actually a pretty cool idea. I may use that. Thanks.

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-14, 01:38 PM
Other than the Run feat, can you give us some idea of the other abilities and such that the soon to be warlock has?

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-10-14, 03:14 PM
There's not much to tell really. He has good dex and charisma, and okay con. He's got ranks in bluff, perform (oratory) (for debating- it's a raptoran thing) and some other mostly cha based skills. I think he was intending on taking the spider climb invocation, once he gets his abilities, but that may change, and really, it shouldn't be factored in here, because it isn't known in-game that's he's a warlock yet. Personality wise, he's outgoing and personable, and very competitive. (loves racing) I can't really think of anything else.

Jerthanis
2007-10-14, 05:39 PM
I hear Jewelry always makes a good gift...

If they're too low level for magic, and Warlocks don't need a lot of exotic equipment, all that's left is masterworked armor or something purely flavorful. I'm no expert on Raptoran culture, but something as simple as a Raptoran good luck charm might stay around his character's neck for the duration of the campaign. Or, if you're unlucky, he'll be upset at how much better everyone else's gift is and be all dismissive of it.

I don't know... judgement call. Masterworked armor is probably going to be your best bet.