PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [DSP Psionics] Augment Blade and Crystalline Focus items

sage20500
2019-09-10, 03:10 AM
So yeah; random question in regards to the Augmented Blade Soulknife archetype;

Are they able to use Crystalline Focus items like the Crystal Hilt?

Silvercrys
2019-09-10, 05:27 AM
I don't believe the normal Crystalline Focus items work with Augmented Blade, but DSP made one just for them in Psionics Augmented: the Crystalline Setting. It's in Compilation 2, I believe.

It's not on the d20PFSRD site, but it looks like it basically has the same stats as the other focus items, just changed fluff/rules text so it works with Augmented Blade. It's just a necklace or ring or something that your Psicrystal can sit in while it powers your item(s).

Manyasone
2019-09-10, 02:20 PM
https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Crystalline_Setting
And now i'll fly away, as they say

sage20500
2019-09-10, 02:58 PM
https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Crystalline_Setting
And now i'll fly away, as they say

Just to be sure on this with that item; if you take the blade skill that allows you to spit your psicrystal so that you can enhance multiple items at a time (like for example your armor), when you use this ability if I had a +1 Setting, would I choose to only boost either my blade or my armor enhancement bonus by 1, or would I boost both my blade and my armor enhancement bonus by 1?

-Edit-
Also random question; the item takes up your weapon slot in order to be able to use it; how does that work with augmented blade? I know it makes sense with the crystal bow or the crystal hilt because your supposed to be forming your mind blade around the crystalline focus item, but for the setting your supposed to be using a regular weapon, so would that mean that you can't actually wield a weapon while using this item?

Which leads to a different question that I just realized came up with the astral spaulders and the aegis; I know aegis can wear regular armor and then use the astral skin to get all the benefits of their CP's and still keep the upsides of wearing actual mundane armor; but would the fact that the Spaulders take up your armor slot mean that you can only use them if your wearing no armor while using astral skin or make it to where your stuck using one of the other two astral suits that are actually armor?

Am mostly confused about the Spaulders part because when I looked up the Armor of the Mind aegis handbook; the author of the guide writes it as if you can wear both the Spaulders and also Mithral fullplate armor at the same time and be able to benefit from both items; except if they both take up the armor slot I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

Silvercrys
2019-09-10, 05:29 PM
Just to be sure on this with that item; if you take the blade skill that allows you to spit your psicrystal so that you can enhance multiple items at a time (like for example your armor), when you use this ability if I had a +1 Setting, would I choose to only boost either my blade or my armor enhancement bonus by 1, or would I boost both my blade and my armor enhancement bonus by 1?Seems like it increases both and prevents you from wielding a magic weapon from another source by RAW, so you can't use it to augment just your armor and use a normal magic weapon (unless you're like, wielding the "Crystalline Setting" in your off-hand, though I think RAI it should have the same slot as any or all of the items it is enhancing rather than being stuck to the weapon slot).

-Edit-
Also random question; the item takes up your weapon slot in order to be able to use it; how does that work with augmented blade? I know it makes sense with the crystal bow or the crystal hilt because your supposed to be forming your mind blade around the crystalline focus item, but for the setting your supposed to be using a regular weapon, so would that mean that you can't actually wield a weapon while using this item?Having a slotted magic item just makes it interfere with other magic items in that slot, unless it doesn't make sense that you can wear both items (for example, there's no reason you couldn't wear two belts or two cloaks, but you can only gain the benefits of one item in each slot).

Which leads to a different question that I just realized came up with the astral spaulders and the aegis; I know aegis can wear regular armor and then use the astral skin to get all the benefits of their CP's and still keep the upsides of wearing actual mundane armor; but would the fact that the Spaulders take up your armor slot mean that you can only use them if your wearing no armor while using astral skin or make it to where your stuck using one of the other two astral suits that are actually armor?

Am mostly confused about the Spaulders part because when I looked up the Armor of the Mind aegis handbook; the author of the guide writes it as if you can wear both the Spaulders and also Mithral fullplate armor at the same time and be able to benefit from both items; except if they both take up the armor slot I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.Basically, as long as your DM agrees that you can use the Crystalline Spaulders as pauldrons on your Mithral Full Plate (the magic items section basically explicitly says you can wear both armor and pauldrons, so), you can use both, but you can't use magic Full Plate and the Crystalline Spaulders at the same time because they share a slot.

Manyasone
2019-09-11, 12:43 PM
Ahum. I was of the opinion that the item description spoke for itself. It states it is slotted onto a weapon and your power is channeled through it. And it can be used on a weapon of your own choosing

Silvercrys
2019-09-11, 12:48 PM
Well, the problem is it explicitly applies to non-weapon items if you augment those, but it still uses the Weapon slot and doesn't say what happens when you have Split Psicrystal.

RAI it should disable any slots you enhance with it, I believe, but RAW it only disables the weapon slot if you use it to enhance your Armor or something.

Manyasone
2019-09-11, 01:40 PM
Hmmm. The 'or item' is indeed the bump here... Maybe if the writer could. Be contacted because errata is non-existent I think

Silvercrys
2019-09-11, 01:59 PM
Yeah, either change the item slot to "special, see text" with a note saying it uses the same slot as any or all of the items it enhances, or remove the line where it says "or other item" so it only works on weapons. Either allows the item to work, though obviously the latter is a bit of a nerf.

I believe DSP is ~mostly incommunicado at the moment, though the primary owner/point of contact Jeremy Smith left a message on the Starfinder Psionics Handbook kickstarter saying he was going through a bit of a rough spot but was continuing work on the book (it's almost a year late, I think?). Wish him the best and all that, respect him and his work immensely (and hopefully the errata for some of this stuff is still in the pipeline along with additional Path of War content, heh).

Looks like Chris Bennett / ErrantX is the principal author of the bit where the Crystalline Setting appeared, though I haven't seen him around the forums much recently either.