PDA

View Full Version : Designing an Efficient Mobile Hospital

Bromley20
2019-09-10, 05:20 AM
I am playing in a campaign with friends and we all have our own challenges for ourselves while we play. I am trying to make a Healer (MH) be the best healbot. We are probably going to run into problems with long distance travel later in the campaign because we don't have anyone who can properly navigate over long distances or someone who can teleport the party around. I want to build a mobile hospital/clinic that can treat diseases, heal wounds, provide food and water, and take the party around to our destinations. I will have about 2.2 million to work with by level 20 and I have access to all 3.5 and 3.0 content that wasn't updated. DM doesn't usually allow Dragon mag or custom items though so I would like to keep that to a minimum. I understand the Stronghold Builder's Guide isn't the best way to determine prices for a base but I want to use it as a starting point to get a general design to present to my DM.

Goals for the base:

Capable of some sort of movement at a reasonable speed (don't care if it flies or drives)
Capable of curing things like ability damage and negative levels in addition to basic diseases and hp damage
Capable of providing food and water for anyone inside (extra food to give away is ideal)
Somewhat difficult to break into
Can provide healing services to public for cheap/free
Any ability to do other good deeds would be nice too

I understand that I probably won't be able to fulfill all the goals for the base. The more goals I can fulfill, the better. I found wondrous architecture in SBG that I could use in the base to fulfill some of the goals. Does anyone know of other books that have wondrous architecture or better items that could be used?
So far I've found:

Bed of Regeneration
Bed of Restoration
Bed of Wellness variants
Bier of Resurrection
Everful Larder and Everful Basin
Platform of Healing

I also don't know how to go about protecting this from casters. I don't have much experience playing passed level 8 so I don't know what casters are capable of after that. I know that it won't be completely impenetrable and a dedicated person could always get in. I would like to at least cover some of the common methods so I don't need to worry as much about it getting hijacked.

Any suggestions are appreciated

reddir
2019-09-10, 09:54 AM
Two thoughts come to mind, not sure of the cheese factor or costs.

1) Something like an Enveloping Pit or five, in which you can place you supplies, beds, instruments, etc and easily carry them around.

2) Wondrous Items that cast all the healing and restoration spells you can find. If you are okay with cheese, can make them resetting traps, but that isn’t needed.

tiercel
2019-09-10, 12:37 PM
In terms of downtime healing, Zaq’s rest-based healing microguide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189716-Boosting-Rest-Based-Healing-A-Microguide-3-5) is a pretty tasty starting point (it’s focused on hp recovery, but some rest boosters, like Healing Hymn, also boost ability damage recovery)

Vizzerdrix
2019-09-10, 02:27 PM
For the structure, portable hole and marvelous pigments will get you all the space you could ever want, as well as all the books thrown at your head that you could ever dodge.

For treatment, I would use resetting traps. Use minor servator on some big stuffed animals to guide people to the trap they need and to collect donations. I would also consider getting a few big golems to guard the front to keep someone from walking away with it.

Bromley20
2019-09-10, 05:47 PM
Enveloping pit seems to be the go to response for this kind of thing. I was originally thinking of regular building that can move but the pit actually seems pretty cool for a pop up hospital to bring with on adventures. I'll talk to my DM about getting one and building a quick healing station inside. Marvelous pigments was also suggested as a way to get a structure but I may be misunderstanding there. Was that just for creating the furniture inside or is there some way to get more space using it?

As for the rest based healing guide, I've been using that a lot so far. I didn't know the guide existed but we have been using most of the list to heal up at the end of the day. Our party seems to operate under the assumption that as long as we have 50% of our max at the end of a dungeon, we can just sleep and recover the rest of it. I also use the stigmata feat and burn a lot of constitution with it each day so that guide will help offset that. Thanks for the link to the guide.

The golem guards seem like a decent idea for protection. I'm assuming I may need to upgrade from one type to another as we level to keep the guards somewhat relevant as we play. Which types would be recommended and which types are traps to avoid? Does it really matter or will any type of golem work just fine?

I'm not sure how likely my DM is to allow me to use resetting traps to heal people. I'll ask about them about it. If they say no, are there any other items to heal large numbers of people each day or should I just stick with the various beds from SBG? I would like to use items to do most of the curing so I can save my spells for when we are away from the base.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-09-10, 06:58 PM
Rod of Body Restoration and Orb of Mental Renewal are cheap (3100 each I think) and can easily heal a lot of ability damage per day (4 to one stat or 2 to all 3 3/day) so you can rapidly undo the effects of disease or poison.

Vizzerdrix
2019-09-10, 07:14 PM
Hmm... I`m not 100% on the schools for most healing spells, but what about spellstitched undead dressed as plague doctors (or again, big stuffed animals) if you can't use resetting traps.

Oh! Healing belts! Cheap and they give a +2 to the heal skill.

Also schema are reusable so some of those may help. I think their is a guide out there for articifers that lists spells at the lowest possible level, to help with cpsts.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-09-10, 07:35 PM
Most healing in 3.5 is Conjuration (Healing) with a few Necromancy scattered about.

Efrate
2019-09-10, 08:37 PM
Something with draconic aura vigor, a familiar or companion, gets everyone to half health, auto stabilizes, and is pretty efficient to be in triage. Pseudodragons would do it super cheap. Any bound outsider with a healing spell sla would be pretty cheap to maintain. Create lantern archon gives you an aoe magic circle against evil effect to suppress charms and compulsions. Also tongues to translate. Anything with the SNA IV gets unicorns to handle a lot as needed. Raven familiars with wands.

I believe masters of the wild has a potion equivalent for using herbs that does not require casting, and there is a cauldron somewhere that lets anyone brew a potion, some adventure path or Arms and equipment guide.

Tooth of narberus for lesser restoration 3x a day, costs 10,800 but anyone who replaced a tooth can use it, and it just makes your voice deep.

Bromley20
2019-09-11, 03:56 AM
I have a cohort with draconic aura vigor and I can summon a unicorn each day as a mount so those are covered somewhat. Cohort has tongues and will know 30 languages by the time we hit level 20 so I'm not super concerned about translations. I already grabbed the healing belt and rod of body restoration to help reduce the amount of spells I need to use each day. What are schema from? Do they have a daily limit like eternal wands or can they be used more often? Ideally, I'd like to leave a small group of followers to run the place and heal the public when the party is in a dungeon. That's why I was looking at the beds over regular items I can just bring with me everywhere. Sorry that I didn't make that that earlier. I would like to be able to show up to a place and get the entire town cured in a day or two. In theory, a healing platform and bed of restoration could cure almost any condition in the general public without the limited used per day.

ChudoJogurt
2019-09-12, 10:53 AM
Think outside the box and hire a golden dragon cleric.
He can carry the party around as necessary, cast cure wounds/remove disease/remove curse/restoration/whatever, and he can defend himself and the party pretty well too.
I'd need to look into prices for that, but I think it would fit into 2 million, especially since you don't need a particularly old dragon.