PDA

View Full Version : Myth to D&D

13_CBS
2007-10-14, 11:09 AM
Ok, so I'm entertaining thoughts about converting stuff from the Bungie game series Myth to D&D 3.5.

For those who have played the games, is this viable? Chances are that spells will be almost never present (except if the players get to very high levels--and no, I don't think the Warlocks will be a viable class...yet), but magic items might be here and there. And of course, there are other concerns...

Any thoughts?

UserClone
2007-10-14, 12:04 PM
Yes. Why? Myth didn't have a great story, IIRC. It was just an interesting RTS, and that only because of the Mods, and because you weren't spending all your time making units. You got what you got.

F.L.
2007-10-14, 12:06 PM
Be very careful with how you stat out the grenades. Though being careful with grenades is very good advice anyway.

Also, wouldn't the casters from Myth work out better as warlocks anyway? I seem to recall they only had 1 or 2 spells available to them (though 'make enemies detonate' is a good enough spell to make up for it).

Chronos
2007-10-14, 03:07 PM
The warrior and archer type units are simple enough, so I don't think anything more has to be said about them.

For the casters, you have:

Journeymen/Heron Guard: Can heal most of a unit's hit points (all of them, if the target is another Journeyman/Heron). Mechanically, that's closest to the Heal spell. The catch in the computer games is the limited material component, the mandrake roots. All Journeymen/Herons get this ability, but if you pay attention during the cutscenes, Heron Guard seems to be a prestige class, so there aren't really any "first level Heron Guard". That sounds like it could be balanced (though you'd have to find some other interesting abilities to fill out the prestige class).

Warlock: Can cast only two spells in-game, Fireball and Confusion. They can't actually cast them "at will", but their mana regenerates pretty fast. In D&D terms, a warlock's fireball probably only does 2 or 3 d6, since it can one-shot a ghol, but not a thrall (approximately zombie). Fluff material suggests they can cast other spells, too (off-screen), but doesn't give any indication what they are.

Fetch: Probably not actually a spell at all. Call them outsiders, and make their primary attack a 20-foot ranged touch with lightning splash damage. Approximately equivalent to a dwarf grenadier (see below).

Avatara/Shades: One spell, the Dispersal Dream. Insanely powerful; it can destroy armies in a single shot (if they're close enough together). In one of the missions, we see a single Dream kill about a thousand Myrkridia (very tough monsters). The balancing factor is that the caster only gets a limited number of charges (about 3), and there's no indication as to how those get replenished. I don't see how to work this into D&D, but it's only available to the highest-level characters (King Alric and a couple of Shades).

The Deceiver: At least four spells seen on-screen. First, the Dissolving Dream: Touch range, paralyzes and slowly kills, and nothing can resist it. Second, the Binding Dream, which acts as Dominate Monster, but can't affect nonliving things or creatures who are too powerful (but again, no save for those things it does effect). Third, some sort of Call Lightning-type spell, which he uses against Soulblighter, and which does a heck of a lot of damage. Fourth, some sort of mass teleport, seen at the end of the mission where you rescue him. The fluff says that he's a really high-level warlock, so presumably he has their spells, too. The lightning and teleport (and warlock spells) are simple enough to adapt, but again, I don't think the first two spells are really balanced in D&D terms.

Shiver: Three known spells. A long-range, single target spell (Whisper Dream) which does a lot of damage, a shorter-range cone spell which also does damage (Tremor Dream), and Death Throes. Unique among the high-level spellcasters, she's probably fairly balanced.

The Summoner: Two known spells. First, he can resurrect Myrkridia from skulls. He can do this very quickly, and he's got a lot of skulls available to him. Second, he can teleport himself short ranges, like Dimension Door. The Dimension Door probably isn't a problem, but the huge armies of Myrkridia he can produce probably is.

Finally, we have the dwarves. They're especially problematic, since a Dwarf's value in the computer game comes from his limitless supply of explosive ammunition. To put that into a D&D world, you'd have to figure some sort of cost for all those bottles/mortar shells, and the dwarf would go through a lot of them each battle. Plus, you'd have to explain why nobody else could use them.

13_CBS
2007-10-15, 06:09 PM
Cool stuff, Chronos. My worry, though, is how all of the Warriors, Berserks, Dwarves, etc. are basically clones of each other (games seem to get less interesting when there are several guys all wearing pretty much the EXACT SAME EQUIPMENT... :smallfrown: )

I'll have to think up of something for the dwarves, hmm...

TheElfLord
2007-10-15, 06:58 PM
I love Myth, and have addapted several of the story components into my World. I also occasionally try to stat things out, like Shades and trow.

13_CBS
2007-10-15, 09:55 PM
Hmm...I remember the dwarves having an extremely slow rate of fire. For mechanical balancing, perhaps dwarves can only attack as a full action every two or three rounds?

BabbageCliolog
2007-10-16, 02:34 PM
Ok, so I'm entertaining thoughts about converting stuff from the Bungie game series Myth to D&D 3.5.

For those who have played the games, is this viable? Chances are that spells will be almost never present (except if the players get to very high levels--and no, I don't think the Warlocks will be a viable class...yet), but magic items might be here and there. And of course, there are other concerns...

Any thoughts?

Pick up GURPS Myth (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/myth/). It's got all the background material you'd need for only $10.

Then convert from there.

At least, that's what I'd do. :smallbiggrin:

/BC

Leadfeathermcc
2007-10-16, 02:40 PM
Memory lane. Used to love that game, still do.

If you do convert it please send me the stats for the Ghols.

13_CBS
2007-10-16, 03:12 PM
Pick up GURPS Myth (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/myth/). It's got all the background material you'd need for only $10.

Then convert from there.

/BC

Ugh...I'd have to learn all the GURPS rules, wouldn't I? :smallannoyed: *Is too lazy*

BabbageCliolog
2007-10-17, 09:30 AM

Then convert from there.

/BC

Ugh...I'd have to learn all the GURPS rules, wouldn't I? :smallannoyed: *Is too lazy*

Not really. GURPS Myth is a setting book with GURPS stuff in it. The setting info is probably most of what you'd use. Most of the GURPS setting books have lots of setting info with a bit of GURPS mechanics/info. As for converting to D&D, I'm sure there are a few sites out there that convert GURPS to D&D and visa-versa. As for learning GURPS, just pick up GURPS Lite and read it. It's short, maybe 20 pages or so.

/BC