PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise/Business rules in 5e?

Chrizzt
2019-09-10, 02:52 PM
In 3.5, in Player Handbook 2 there were rules for setting up businesses or organizations. Is there something similar in 5e?

My plan would be to set up a spy network, whose heart is in the castle of my char (who has the noble background and who has lost his castle, but will win it back through a quest, if everything goes right).

I don't intend to do this for making money, but much more as a plot device. E.g. our group was robbed by a powerful wizard last session. The network could in a similar case help sniff him out if he teleported in a different kingdom or the like.

So I'm willing to invest gold. While there might be no return on investment in form of coin, perhaps in form of fluff and information.

Is there something somewhere in the rules which could be a clue how to do this?

If the informants / contacts would not be working 24h fulltime, the price for skilled hirelings (1gp per day) might be a starting point, if they work on demand or “part time“ as hidden contacts. E.g. 1gp per week perhaps?

Protolisk
2019-09-10, 02:55 PM
There ARE official rules for business ownership, starting on page 126 in the DMG, as well as various forms of downtime in the Xanathar's Guide, but they are a little lack luster and are nearly impossible to turn a profit. But besides that, there are little ways to make money besides adventuring RAW in the books that I know about.

Edit: I should say the DMG rules are impossible to turn a profit. Xanathar is mostly working freelance, so it likely isn't what you are looking for.

If you just want a general place and its not a for profit venture, the DMG is a good place to start.

Emongnome777
2019-09-10, 03:27 PM
Acquisitions Incorporated covers this I think. I don’t know much about it, but there may be something helpful there.

Beleriphon
2019-09-10, 04:20 PM
Acquisitions Incorporated covers this I think. I don’t know much about it, but there may be something helpful there.

Having recently purchased this book yes there are rules. Good rules, even if you aren't a Penny Arcade fan the rules for actually operating your franchise are good.

Basically each PC takes a role in the organization, the names a bit silly and fit with PA's general sense of humour, but the idea is solid that the PC are the executives/officers of the company. The only NPC that can take a similar role is the majordomo, everybody else is an NPC hire. Each PC role is above and beyond class and backgrounds, think of them as super backgrounds that also come with magic items of limited business related use.

There costs of business each month paid to HQ, but that could be redone as just monthly expenses from payroll to food. There are downtime activities that cover things from running the business, increasing/decreasing costs each month, finding new opportunities, etc. These are in addition to the regular downtime in Xanathar's and the DMG.

Organizations have ranks from 1 to 4. Rank 1 provides a few NPC employees, the majordomo, the location and few other odds and ends. Rank 2 through 4 are upgrades in terms of costs/profits by default, more employees, and the actual location of the business.

Franchise location examples include: an old wagon that is bigger on the inside, a tavern, a lighthouse, an old manor house, a 1000 foot tall hollow statue (which eventually walks), and a bunch more.

TyGuy
2019-09-11, 11:08 PM
Having recently purchased this book yes there are rules. Good rules, even if you aren't a Penny Arcade fan the rules for actually operating your franchise are good.

Basically each PC takes a role in the organization, the names a bit silly and fit with PA's general sense of humour, but the idea is solid that the PC are the executives/officers of the company. The only NPC that can take a similar role is the majordomo, everybody else is an NPC hire. Each PC role is above and beyond class and backgrounds, think of them as super backgrounds that also come with magic items of limited business related use.

There costs of business each month paid to HQ, but that could be redone as just monthly expenses from payroll to food. There are downtime activities that cover things from running the business, increasing/decreasing costs each month, finding new opportunities, etc. These are in addition to the regular downtime in Xanathar's and the DMG.

Organizations have ranks from 1 to 4. Rank 1 provides a few NPC employees, the majordomo, the location and few other odds and ends. Rank 2 through 4 are upgrades in terms of costs/profits by default, more employees, and the actual location of the business.

Franchise location examples include: an old wagon that is bigger on the inside, a tavern, a lighthouse, an old manor house, a 1000 foot tall hollow statue (which eventually walks), and a bunch more.

This sounds so amazing! In your opinion, even with all these options and rules, does business running still come across as down time filler that would most likely get hand waved by; or something that can take on a mini-game depth?

RickAllison
2019-09-11, 11:14 PM
This sounds so amazing! In your opinion, even with all these options and rules, does business running still come across as down time filler that would most likely get hand waved by; or something that can take on a mini-game depth?

The way the book has it set up is that the business is the primary adventure. How much importance you place on it is very campaign-dependent, but the book approaches it from the point of view that the PCs' primary motivations have to do with making their business succeed. If the players and GM are up for it, the entire game revolves around the business.

TyGuy
2019-09-11, 11:17 PM
I like it! Do you think it can coincide with Dungeon of the Mad Mage? Sounds like turning Troll Skull into a base and using both materials would be amazing if they're compatible.

RickAllison
2019-09-11, 11:25 PM
I like it! Do you think it can coincide with Dungeon of the Mad Mage? Sounds like turning Troll Skull into a base and using both materials would be amazing if they're compatible.

Yes and no. I can't think of anything that would make them incompatible, but you would need to keep an eye on the balance. AI incorporates various magic items as part of the business, and adding a bunch of magic items always runs the risk of tipping the balance a bit. Shouldn't be anything too bad, most of the effects are more utility but it does mean they have to spend fewer resources on some obstacles.