PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fun low level build?

Voidstar01
2019-09-10, 08:51 PM
Right so as I write this our level 1 party is literally in a den of thieves, our tank is paralyzed, and we haven't rolled above a 15 the entire night. I need a fun low-level build... just in case. ABSOLUTLY NO CASTERS the DM has a weird hate on for magic (no meta magic, wizard don't exist, spells cap at 4th level, spells only recharge once a week, you get extra spells based on ranks in knowledge arcana, but anytime you cast a spell above 2nd level you risk taking damage). All races are homebrew except human, no magic items, campaign likely caps at 10. You guys got anything for this?

EDIT: The tank is activity dying now, and on fire so no chance of stabilization, it took 5 round to drop one thief.

EDIT 2: they have a wizard with sleep

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-10, 09:06 PM
Anything from Tome of Battle (Crusader is the tankiest class in the game, Warblades are fantastic damage dealers and solid tanks, and Swordsages are damage and mobility/stealth).

Totemist and Incarnate from Magic of Incarnum are both fun and interesting. The former channels the souls of magical beasts to gain their powers, and makes for a great natural weapons melee fighter, ranged fighter, or grappler, in addition to having some solid mobility/utility options; the latter channels more abstract concepts and is more focused on utility options.

Warlock from Complete Arcane is caster-lite; all the fun, none of the bookkeeping (or brokenness), and may be able to skirt past the campaign restrictions. Ask your DM. Binder from Tome of Magic is kind of the same deal, but even more distanced from traditional magic, as you make pacts with weird beings each day that grant you a couple of thematic powers.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-09-10, 09:37 PM
Azurin martial decisive strike monk 1/incarnate 1/crusader 1
Feats Combat Expertiseflaw, Combat Reflexesazurin, Improved Unarmed Strikemonk 1, Improved Trip1, Karmic Strike3, Midnight Dodgeflaw, Pole Fightermonk 1; Flaws Glory-Hound, Vulnerable; Traits Aggressive

Wield a guisarme, don't wear armour. Martial Spirit + Therapeutic Mantle + Astral Vambraces. A detailed description of the combinations used is linked in my signature.

Edit: Hang on, level 1 precisely? Arctic warforged crusader with Adamantine Body is pretty classic.

Voidstar01
2019-09-10, 09:52 PM
Arctic warforged crusader with Adamantine Body is pretty classic.

Arctic warforged?

Voidstar01
2019-09-10, 10:45 PM
Somehow we all lived... I don't even.... what?

Vizzerdrix
2019-09-10, 10:47 PM
Arctic warforged?

Like a regular warforged, but with antifreeze for blood.

Sounds like a silly game with a killer DM.

Tibbit stoneblessed into goliath barbarian.

Voidstar01
2019-09-10, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a silly game with a killer DM.

I mean we somehow lived by lighting the building on fire so...

radthemad4
2019-09-10, 10:56 PM
Arctic warforged?Warforged with the Arctic Template (Dragon Mag 306). The Arctic template grants +2 Con, -2 Cha, +1 saving throws against Cold, -1 saving throws against Fire, +2 Wilderness Lore Check (a 3.0 thing, I think this would be Survival in 3.5?), SLA ray of frost as a 1st level caster. LA +0 based on a forum post, but I'd check the source.

Zera
2019-09-11, 05:34 AM
Right so as I write this our level 1 party is literally in a den of thieves, our tank is paralyzed, and we haven't rolled above a 15 the entire night. I need a fun low-level build... just in case. ABSOLUTLY NO CASTERS the DM has a weird hate on for magic (no meta magic, wizard don't exist, spells cap at 4th level, spells only recharge once a week, you get extra spells based on ranks in knowledge arcana, but anytime you cast a spell above 2nd level you risk taking damage). All races are homebrew except human, no magic items, campaign likely caps at 10. You guys got anything for this?

EDIT: The tank is activity dying now, and on fire so no chance of stabilization, it took 5 round to drop one thief.

Solution: Change DM

Divine Susuryu
2019-09-11, 11:33 AM

Are you enjoying this game a lot? Like a lot? Because the "I hate magic so much you wouldn't even believe it" is often a dealbreaker, particularly if your enemies are allowed casters.

RNightstalker
2019-09-11, 09:15 PM
Solution: Change DM

This seems to be a running theme in the forum recently.

Silvercrys
2019-09-11, 11:16 PM
To answer the question, I'd play a Warblade straight up, or a Scout 4/Ranger X with Swift Hunter (Complete Scoundrel) if Tome of Battle is banned (I suspect it is or would be shortly if the DM hates magic that much).

But yeah I'd probably evaluate how much fun you're really having in the game, heh. If the DM's rules are consistent and apply to both PCs and NPCs/monsters and the anticaster stuff was explained beforehand and is related to the type of game you all wanted to play, it's probably fine, but if you're not having fun because of his houserules you might be better off in another game (or in no game, for that matter).

Divine Susuryu
2019-09-12, 09:46 AM
This seems to be a running theme in the forum recently.

Well, when the choice is "here are these awful, restrictive, one-sided houserules that punish the players while leaving the NPCs relatively unaffected" or "don't play", most of the forum is going to lean to "don't play".