PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeal Movement vs. Fall Damage

Greywander
2019-09-11, 03:05 AM
I guess the only way for a PC to do this, short of homebrew, would be with a Shadow sorcerer. This could also apply to some of the NPC ghost monsters.

An ability like Incorporeal Movement allows you to move through solid object, with you taking 1d10, or 5, force damage if you end your turn inside an object. So what if you're falling a really long way, and just before you hit the ground you just kind of... slide into it, avoiding the fall damage and taking the minor force damage instead?

While ghosts and whatnot have a fly speed, most Shadow sorcerers won't, which makes me wonder how this ability acts for characters who can't fly. Can you fall through the floor, if you want to? If you can touch the ceiling, can you "grab" it and pass through to the floor above? Can you travel up or down walls?

Blood of Gaea
2019-09-11, 02:36 PM
If you don't have a fly speed, you can't really slow yourself down, so even if you phased through 5 feet of ground, you'd just land 5 feet further down and still take the fall damage.

BestMaster46
2019-09-11, 03:31 PM
If you don't have a fly speed, you can't really slow yourself down, so even if you phased through 5 feet of ground, you'd just land 5 feet further down and still take the fall damage.

This is true. The next question is how far they've made it through the ground. I don't think you could make a valid argument that gravity is on your side the closer you get to the planet's core.

Arcangel4774
2019-09-11, 03:39 PM
This seems like something id rule for laughs. Make them fall some portion under the ground, maybe 5 ft for every die of fall damage normally they would normally have acrewed. Then make them have to spend movement to get out kf underground. I know incorporeal things usually pops you out if you phase into reality inside of something, but itd be much more funny, table dependent, if they were partially stuck underground