PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can someone cast spells via a Dreaming Puppet?

Malphegor
2019-09-11, 04:39 AM
Been looking at Oneiromancy spells from Heroes of Horror, and while they're expensive to get (2 3 feats!), they look pretty potent, small as the list is.

But one caught my imagination. And gave me a fiendish glee.

Dreaming Puppet, is like dominate Monster but at the spell level of Dominate Person, lets you assume total direct control of a person's sleeping body whilst their dream self deals with you in their dreams and tries to throw off your influence.

Basically, sleepwalking as a curse. Cool. Posession is nine tenths of being Lawful Evil, after all.

Now, my thought is- if one can totally control the actions of a sleeping body, can one cast spells from that body if that body is the one doing all the components of a spell? Since you're using your real body's knowledge.

How tied to one's original body is one's spellcasting? (assuming wizard since that's learnt magic rather than other forms that are potentially bodily-derived from ancestors)

I guess there's probably a case to say that you don't have the spell slots in someone else's body, but that then begs the question what a spell slot is if not an organisational structure in someone's mind.

Example:

Wizardfax the Wizard has cast Dreaming Puppet on Lord Gubbin, ruler of the serpent isles.

Lord Gubbin is from a nation of anti-magic populace who dislike all forms of arcane magic due to the preaching of their clergy.

Can Wizardfax, whilst controlling Lord Gubbin, utilise Lord Gubbin's hands and body and a pile of guano for the components to cast the Maximised Heightened Fireball (prepared as Wizardfax prior to posession) at the AntiMagicPope?

Calthropstu
2019-09-12, 11:31 AM
No. The spell acts like dominate which does not allow for posession. You give it commands which it obeys.

The spell you are looking for is magic jar.