PDA

View Full Version : Mimics in 5e

nedlud
2019-09-11, 05:16 AM
Hi all,

I've just become interested in Mimics as monsters in 5e and so far I can't find an awful lot of information about them for 5e.
The MM has a stat block, and a bit of information like the fact that some can talk.

But there's nothing about sub-types (common, killer, metal).

I found an old Ed Greenwood article (The Ecology of the Mimic) for AD&D that says "It should be remembered that mimics can travel on walls and ceilings as easily as they can on floors". The 3.5 stats give Mimics a Climb skill. But the 5e MM doesn't, nor does it list a climb speed. I'm assuming this ability has been removed from the current Mimic.

Has any more stuff been published in any 5e supplements? Or am I looking at doing some homebrew stuff to include this in my 5e game?

Dungeon-noob
2019-09-11, 05:31 AM
Hi all,

I've just become interested in Mimics as monsters in 5e and so far I can't find an awful lot of information about them for 5e.
The MM has a stat block, and a bit of information like the fact that some can talk.

But there's nothing about sub-types (common, killer, metal).

I found an old Ed Greenwood article (The Ecology of the Mimic) for AD&D that says "It should be remembered that mimics can travel on walls and ceilings as easily as they can on floors". The 3.5 stats give Mimics a Climb skill. But the 5e MM doesn't, nor does it list a climb speed. I'm assuming this ability has been removed from the current Mimic.

Has any more stuff been published in any 5e supplements? Or am I looking at doing some homebrew stuff to include this in my 5e game?
Given what i know about the way 5e works, i doubt the subtypes will be a thing in it. Same for the climbing, if it's not in the statblock, assume it won't be unless published otherwise.

Most more detailed looks at creatures like this end up requiring homebrew to get what you want, usually.

nedlud
2019-09-11, 05:42 AM
Most more detailed looks at creatures like this end up requiring homebrew to get what you want, usually.

Fair enough. Homebrew it is :smallsmile:

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-11, 06:30 AM
Fair enough. Homebrew it is :smallsmile:

The best way to homebrew 5e monsters is to look at the 4e equivalent and then go from there. A lot of cool things suddenly disappeared in 5e...