PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hexblade - Sorcerer Build to Level 30

Perdition
2019-09-11, 05:43 AM
Hello All,
as the title states, I'm looking for help optimising a hexblade-sorcerer build up to level 30, for a homebrew game I'm aiming to play in.

I'll be joining at level 5, with all available published content with the exception of the warforged in the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is disallowed. I'm thinking of starting with a level of fighter for the proficiency in con saves which will be helpful for maintaing my spells on the frontline. I'm currently thinking about starting Fighter 1/Hexblade 4, taking the 5 level in warlock for the extra attack invocation and then moving into sorcerer.

I'm aiming to be frontline melee with utility type spells overall.
Stat generation is point buy.
With that said I have several questions for you all:

Which sorcerer subclass should I take?
Which levels should I take in which order?
Is there anything I've overlooked?

Thank you in advance

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-11, 05:48 AM
I suggest wild magic sorcerer.

Composer99
2019-09-11, 06:25 AM
I take it you can only get to 20th level in any given class?

Also, is the multiclass spell slot table being modified to have levels past 20th?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-11, 07:04 AM
How about starting with Sorcerer for con save, going 2 lock and 3 Sorcerer for metamagic(quick little BB). And then take whatever you want in any order (I personally like Sorcerer more but both are good).

Hexblade gives you medium armor and shield proficiency so no real need for fighter armor.
Fighting style is a tempting thing but I think that 2 paladin will give you more then 1 fighter(I think that losing less is more accurate) if you want it.

I will probably go 18 Sorcerer, 11 hex and do whatever for the last level(maybe there is a reason to go fighter1).
(Sorcerer 18 gives really nice stuff).

Divine soul have some nice spells for melee range but you still have the problem of known spells, some nice healing and good flight (I think it is to late for flight).

Shadow gives you darkvision, almost devil sight, better offensive highten metamagic, a 120 ft free bonus action teleport and an almost bear totem resistance+walk through walls.

Perdition
2019-09-11, 07:10 AM
I take it you can only get to 20th level in any given class?

Also, is the multiclass spell slot table being modified to have levels past 20th?

Yes, and no I don't think so, let me confirm

EDIT: yeah slots cap at the top of the multiclassing slot table

Perdition
2019-09-11, 07:14 AM
How about starting with Sorcerer for con save, going 2 lock and 3 Sorcerer for metamagic(quick little BB). And then take whatever you want in any order (I personally like Sorcerer more but both are good).

Hexblade gives you medium armor and shield proficiency so no real need for fighter armor.
Fighting style is a tempting thing but I think that 2 paladin will give you more then 1 fighter(I think that losing less is more accurate) if you want it.

I will probably go 18 Sorcerer, 11 hex and do whatever for the last level(maybe there is a reason to go fighter1).
(Sorcerer 18 gives really nice stuff).

Divine soul have some nice spells for melee range but you still have the problem of known spells, some nice healing and good flight (I think it is to late for flight).

Shadow gives you darkvision, almost devil sight, better offensive highten metamagic, a 120 ft free bonus action teleport and an almost bear totem resistance+walk through walls.

One of the things available to us is to train fighting styles via time and money so that's a big demerit for fighter?
Yeah, I was also looking at storm sorc, the capstone looks brilliant but I'm not too sure about the rest of it

Nhorianscum
2019-09-11, 07:37 AM
At a semi-rediculous level like 30 we are no longer limited and can just toss together the "best" setup based on personal preferance.

For this we'll need...

20 fullcaster levels for our extra 6th and 7th level slots. (11 lock can give us a 3rd 6th level/day but the campain ends at 30 so the 7th level slot is better)

17 in at least one fullcaster class that knows Wish.

Action surge.

So our chassis here is Sorc17/3 fullcaster levels/Hex1/Fi2.

Past that leveling up is Sorc1 or Sorc 7/Hex1/Sorc 11/Dip up to 2 levels/Whatever.

Ez PZ.

Keravath
2019-09-11, 08:30 AM
If you are aiming to be melee then a hexblade with PAM+GWM using Darkness+devils sight and shadow of moil to generate advantage can be very effective in the melee role especially using a glaive or other reach weapon. I have one at level 10 that is 9 hexblade/ 1 shadow sorcerer variant human with resilient con, GWM and PAM and they can be very effective in melee. They have been playable at all levels so far. The plan in my case is to go to hexblade 12 for the Lifedrinker invocation and then follow up with sorcerer or possibly bard levels.

In your case, with level 30 as the cap, you could take hexblade to 12 for the complete melee chassis with warlock spell support and then start adding the sorcerer levels.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-11, 08:48 AM
One of the things available to us is to train fighting styles via time and money so that's a big demerit for fighter?
Yeah, I was also looking at storm sorc, the capstone looks brilliant but I'm not too sure about the rest of it

I think it is making the fighter dip a little useless (if you will have the time and money for the training).

Storm Sorcerer capstone is amazing, may be the best in the game.

If you want to be lightning focus it works.
The reaction you get at level 14 is nice and the one that let you control wind can be really effective against cloud spells.

I still think that the shadow features are better and that the Divine soul gives you better list for melee.

But you know, you will still do great with any of them.

The new UA origin also look cool, it looks like his early features are way better then the end features. I didn't test it so I can't recommend it. And it doesn't look like a great fit for what you say you are looking for.

Foxydono
2019-09-11, 09:20 AM
I would go human Paladin 1 (with 16 cha, 15 con 15 str after stat distribution), take prof con feat, so Constitution is 16 also. Go 5 sorcerer (divine soul) and take warcaster feat. You are mainly a caster with smite and fireballz. Go warlock 2 and go hexblade and devil sight. After go paladin 8, you get extra attack and two asi. Now finish 20 Charisma, a bit late, but you will mamage. I recommend ancient for spell dmg resistance, but take what you like.

Pump sorcerer to 18 for capstone ability and flight. You also get 9th level spells. The last two levels go info fighter for action surge and fighting style. You also have three more feats along the way. If you like you can go fighter earlier, but I prefer sorcerer first for more spell slots, meta magic and high level spells. For metamagic I would take quickened and twinned for dmg and subtle if you do more rollplaying and less combat.

Nagog
2019-09-11, 09:21 AM
If spell slots don't cap out, I'd go Hexblade 10 Divine Soul Sorc 20. You won't get the Armor of Hexes, but in return you'll be getting 9th level spell slots from Sorc that you can upcast your Warlock spells with (45 AoA HP and damage is no laughing matter), and you'll get two 5th level short rest spell slots to toss around as well. As for what order to take the spells in, I'd recommend starting with 4 HexLock 1 Divine Soul. Keep your Sorc spells/slots as healing to begin with and use your HexLock for offensive abilities, then you can see what the party needs more: Damage or Healing.

Bloodcloud
2019-09-11, 09:33 AM
Eldritch knight 11 Warlock 2 Sorcerer 17.

Full multiclass caster spell slot, 2 1st level pact magic slots, 9th level spell, all armor and weapon profiency.

Metamagic + action surge

Eldritch strike to land those big spells

Fully powered eblast for ranged attack

Storm sorc actually looks good here, as wading into melee to cast spells is gonna be your thing. Divine soul to get access to yet another spell list . Dragon for tankiness and wings.

Switch warlock 2 for paladin 2 if you want smites instead of ranged attack and more low level slots, both are very good options and access you different spell opportunities (armor of aghatys and hex on the warlock side, bless/cure wound on paladin side mostly.

Storm Sorcerer 17, Thunder Cleric 2, Ancient Paladin 7, Fighter battlemaster 3. Master of smithing Thunder.

Eldritch knight 11 / Warlock 17 / Bard 2 could also be a nice one. Hexblade, don't take the extra attack invocation but use the cha to weapon damage one. Nice mix of spell slot and warlock smiting.

Paladin 6, Sorcerer 17 gets you full multiclass spell slot and 9th level spell, stack Hex blade 7 and you got a real Cha centric character with lotsa spell slots and can double-smite (cha to weapon attack, cha to all saves, cha full spellcasting) Be an half elf, and use elven accuracy for ridiculous crit-fishing and -5 +10 madness.

Damon_Tor
2019-09-11, 09:58 AM
I really like Shadow Blade on a gish, easy advantage by using Control Flame premtively before combat begins to kill light sources. Quicken and Twin Booming Blade for three very strong attacks per turn. Mobile gets you in and out to reduce the amount of face tanking you have to do.

17 levels of sorcerer gets you your 9th level spell access and that full caster slot progression and all those extra sorcery points. Then you get 6 levels of Paladin to finish your slot progression and tank up on hitpoints and get CHA to all saves and of course to get smites. That leaves you 7 levels of warlock, getting you two extra level 4 slots per short rest and 4 invocations.

Seems pretty solid to me.

Nagog
2019-09-11, 10:25 AM
I really like Shadow Blade on a gish, easy advantage by using Control Flame premtively before combat begins to kill light sources. Quicken and Twin Booming Blade for three very strong attacks per turn.

Is there a reason you need both Quicken and Twin for the Booming Blade? I believe with Twin you can make both attacks for the cost of 1 Sorcery Point, also to my knowledge the Booming effect does not stack, so I'd go with a different melee cantrip unless you have multiple enemies around you.

Bloodcloud
2019-09-11, 02:50 PM
Is there a reason you need both Quicken and Twin for the Booming Blade? I believe with Twin you can make both attacks for the cost of 1 Sorcery Point, also to my knowledge the Booming effect does not stack, so I'd go with a different melee cantrip unless you have multiple enemies around you.

I think he wants to booming blade 4 times, but of course you can't stack most metamagic, but you could quicken one then twin one. But your are burning through sorc point real fast doing that.

Damon_Tor
2019-09-12, 11:02 AM

Twin lets you attack two guys, once. Quicken allows you to attack one extra guy (or one of the first guys a second time.)

And it's true the effect doesn't stack.

So if you're fighting one guy you won't use Twin, just quicken to hit him twice. Against two guys you'll twin to attack both then quicken to attack one a second time. Against three guys you'll twin to attack two of them then quicken to attack the third. And in each case you'll want to make use of your mobile feat to get out of melee range each time.

Yes, it's a lot of sorcery points, but this is a level 30 build with levels of warlock, so it really isn't a concern at this point.

Ovarwa
2019-09-13, 01:32 PM
Hi,

Charisma to almost everything: Hex1+/Paladin6+/Swashbuckler3+/SorcererX.

Anyway,

Ken