PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Wilora Forms

Thurbane
2019-09-11, 09:34 PM
So, the Wilora (City of Splendors p.141) has the ability to assume alternate forms of any "bird or birdlike magical beast of Large or smaller size".

I'm trying to make a list of possible forms: of course "birdlike" is very open to interpretation. Here's what I've got so far:

Abrian
Blood Hawk
Cockatrice
Corollax
Deadborn Vulture
Elysian Thrush
Giant Eagle
Giant Owl
Giant Raven
Girffon
Hippogriff
Owlbear
Peryton (?)
Phoenix
Senmurv (?)

...do you think the various Sphinxes would count as birdlike?

Cheers - T

Palanan
2019-09-11, 10:10 PM
Hengeyokai Sparrow?

Not sure if that qualifies as a birdlike magical beast, since it's technically a subrace.

DrMotives
2019-09-11, 10:23 PM
Rainbow Crow (HoB)
Axebeak (A&EG)

The hawk & ibis headed sphinxes, sure. But the human and other animal headed ones, I don't think so.
Also, I'm never sure about stirges. Sometimes they're depicted as birdlike, othertimes batlike.

ben-zayb
2019-09-12, 07:37 AM
Rocs?
Murder of Crows from ToM?
If Sphinx qualify enough by virtue of bird wings, the epic monster Chichimec also would.

Saintheart
2019-09-12, 07:45 AM
Rocs?

Animal, not Magical Beast.

I like the Nagpa as certainly bird-like-looking, but they also fall outside that type.

Bronk
2019-09-12, 07:47 AM
Some more: Chronotyryn, Dire Eagle, Dire Hawk, Axebeak, a bunch of regular birds...

Edit: Also the Flying Monkey, the Manticore and Manticora, Pegasus, Shedu, Simurgh, Tressym, and Giant Vulture.

liquidformat
2019-09-12, 09:12 AM
Some more: Chronotyryn, Dire Eagle, Dire Hawk, Axebeak, a bunch of regular birds...

Edit: Also the Flying Monkey, the Manticore and Manticora, Pegasus, Shedu, Simurgh, Tressym, and Giant Vulture.

half of these are animals; Flying Monkey, the Manticore and Manticora, and Pegasus don't seem bird enough, they have wings but nothing else bird like. Also Manticore and Manticora are supposed to have bat like wings...

Bronk
2019-09-12, 11:14 AM
half of these are animals; Flying Monkey, the Manticore and Manticora, and Pegasus don't seem bird enough, they have wings but nothing else bird like. Also Manticore and Manticora are supposed to have bat like wings...

Animals make the list. The others are as birdlike as the senmurv or the peryton... maybe less so the manticore and manticora though.

Oh, also celestial, fiendish, and other similar templates that switch and or keep the original creature as a magical beast could be included, depending on the rest of the wording of the ability...

liquidformat
2019-09-12, 11:28 AM
Animals make the list. The others are as birdlike as the senmurv or the peryton... maybe less so the manticore and manticora though.

Oh, also celestial, fiendish, and other similar templates that switch and or keep the original creature as a magical beast could be included, depending on the rest of the wording of the ability...

missed the bird at the beginning and only read birdlike magical beast; still not convinced Flying Monkey or Pegasus make the list much less manticore and manticora, wings alone don't seem like enough to be able to make the list. If they are, then most dinosaurs should also be making the list as most of them should have feathers and some are closely related to birds...

Either way mage bred, warbeast, feral, and brainfarting on the one that gives dire animals acid damage should all work if we are throwing in templates.

ben-zayb
2019-09-12, 12:53 PM
Animal, not Magical Beast.

I like the Nagpa as certainly bird-like-looking, but they also fall outside that type.
Yikes, I missed that crucial type limit.