PDA

View Full Version : MARK IV Hazardous Environment Suit (Artifact)

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-14, 01:50 PM
MARK IV Hazardous Environment Suit
Value: 100,000gp

The HEV suit is an orange suit of full platemail +5 armour, minus the helmet. It has the following abilities;

Energy Armour The suit has a store of 100 units of energy. Every time the wearer takes damage half of the damage instead drains units of energy instead of hp. For example 30 points of damage will take away 15hp and 15 points of energy. If the suit is exposed to shock energy then the suit's energy is restored and none of the damage is blocked (1 point of damage = 1 unit of energy). A friendly caster can release a spell which does shock damage slowly to restore the suit without harming the wearer.

Antidote The wearer recieves +5 to saves against secondary (not primary) damage from poisons.

Administering Morphine The wearer gains the Ferocity (Ex) ability. They may fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Zoom The wearer gains the use of a small telescope which may be used or put away as a free action.

Flashlight As a swift action the user may shine a light 30 feet ahead, iluminating all in a strait line. The suit has a small internal power supply which lasts 10 rounds, it is able to restore 2 rounds worth of energy every round it is disabled.

Long Jump Module This is a separate arifact worth 10,000gp. If added to the suit the wearer gains +10 to jump checks and need only move 5 feet to make a running jump.

Sprint Module The wearer may run without penalty, draining two of the flashlights 10 charges per round. If they run out the normal rules for running apply.

Air Supply This works the same as the sprint module but applies to holding breath under water.

Comments/criticisms?

Xenoti
2007-10-14, 02:02 PM
doesnt the mark iv HEV have a helmet, that seals the suit to protect against NBC contaminants?

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-14, 02:04 PM
doesnt the mark iv HEV have a helmet, that seals the suit to protect against NBC contaminants?

Yes, but Gordon's didn't.

Xenoti
2007-10-14, 02:27 PM
Yes, but Gordon's didn't.

ah okay. Looks interesting

Maldraugedhen
2007-10-15, 08:53 PM
I'd say bundle the helmet anyway, unless you're going to give the players thick black glasses and a red crowbar too.

Neftren
2007-10-15, 08:55 PM
I assume the Air Supply has some sort of mouth apparatus, since there's no helmet?

Neftren
2007-10-15, 08:56 PM
Whoops, double post. my bad.

Waspinator
2007-10-15, 10:06 PM
I'd say bundle the helmet anyway, unless you're going to give the players thick black glasses and a red crowbar too.

And remove their ability to speak.

SurlySeraph
2007-10-15, 11:06 PM
The price is WAY too low. According to the SRD, +5 full plate armor with no other enhancements is 26,650 gp. The energy armor ability is like getting a ton of damage reduction. I'm not that good on pricing, but I'd put the HEV suit at 100,000 gp if not more.

The Long Jump Module is also underpriced. In the SRD, the Improved Ring of Jumping (which gives +10 to jump checks) is worth 10,000 gp. I'd price the Long Jump Module at 10,000 gp, because needing the HEV suit to use it at all makes up for how it makes running jumps require less room.

The abilities are all good, it's just that you need to make players really pay for them.

@V: Gravity Gun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59740).

Crowbar
A crowbar grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Strength checks made for such purposes. If used in combat, treat a crowbar as a one-handed improvised weapon that deals bludgeoning damage equal to that of a club of its size.

So a crowbar does 1d6 bludgeoning damage, has a x2 critical, and can be thrown 10 feet. However, it has a -4 on all attack rolls because it's an improvised weapon.

JacksonAces
2007-10-15, 11:25 PM
Someone needs to work out a Gravity Gun Artifact, and the crowbar for good measure. I'm no good at custom items, or I'd do it myself.

~jack

Mewtarthio
2007-10-15, 11:52 PM
Do Artifacts even have prices? There's no way you can buy them, and you'd have a lot of difficulty selling one in the traditional sense. There's no sense in assigning value for WBL purposes, either, since Artifacts aren't meant to be balanced.

TheLogman
2007-10-16, 05:32 AM
Jackson, I already statted out the Gravity Gun and Portal Gun, and it was actually them that prompted the creation of this thread. You can check them out when I post the next changes to the Gravity Gun.

Maldraugedhen
2007-10-16, 05:59 AM
Would it really qualify as an 'improvised weapon' after the initial Black Mesa incident?

You'd think Gordon would have gotten to at LEAST greater weapon focus: crowbar by the time people start tossing them to him to use as a weapon (like Barney does).