PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I have no idea what to spend my GP on.

skunk3
2019-09-13, 02:18 AM
I'm in a gestalt game right now and we are well into epic levels at this point. I am level 25 and the rest of the party is level 24. Due to my class/prc levels I am basically a crafting machine. The only problem is that I have already crafted basically everything I can think of for my character. Sure, there's a few things I could still do but overall I have all of my bases covered. On top of that, nobody in my party needs/wants anything crafted at the moment. I have a fair amount of wealth and there's always more coming, so what should I spend it on? My character has no desire for estates and opulence in general. He is a reclusive tinkerer. I am thinking about maybe making some kind of construct but I looked them up and none of them really seem all that great TBH. Any ideas?

rel
2019-09-13, 04:31 AM
Well, if you already have all the epic items you want you could start researching epic spells.
Since you have epic WBL you can also trivially grab any non-epic stuff you don't have; custom spells, grafts, location based upgrades, powerful allies, rare material components...

Biggus
2019-09-13, 05:26 AM
What do you already have?

Are you allowed multiple powers on a single item?

What classes do you have?

MisterKaws
2019-09-13, 06:36 AM
You got a satellite beam of mass destruction yet? If not, get to it.

smasher0404
2019-09-13, 10:46 AM
Secret laboratory so people can't bother you while you are tinkering?

skunk3
2019-09-13, 02:52 PM
I should clarify a bit more:

-I am a Warlock who is taking the Master Arcane Artisan PrC on one side of the Gestalt after level 20. (Being able to use invocations that are equivalent to a 6th level spell is good enough for our table.) Basically, I can craft anything.

-We also houseruled in our game that instead of having to take a separate feat for each type of crafting, you only need to take one "craft magical items" feat and that will suffice for anything non-epic. To qualify for epic magical items you merely only have to take "craft epic magical items." It makes crafting more accessable and less of a pain.

-I have already crafted a +5 tome for the stats I care about: CHA, CON, DEX.

-I have crafted basically every item that I can think of that would be beneficial for Warlocks unless I am somehow missing something. (greater chausuble of fell power, veil of allure, bracers of the blast barrier, etc. Also, basically every slot that I have at the moment is a custom item that has the properties of 2 or more different items.

-There are some epic magical items that I still want/need to craft... like getting the maximum bonus from a cloak of CHA (+6 up to +12), same with DEX and CON. I also want to upgrade my resistance item which is currently at +5, max for non-epic. I could also upgrade my natural armor item and give myself better bonuses to my armor and buckler too but AC isn't a huge issue for me as I am rarely in melee range.

Basically, what I am looking for is suggestions that are a bit off the beaten path and maybe overlooked and/or not well-known. Obviously I don't have an infinite amount of GP and it will be quite some time before I have the funds necessary to craft what I already want to make but I will eventually want to get there. I also have Exceptional Artisan (feat) at the moment and after a few levels I will have the other artisan feats for cost reducers, which are a massive help when you're talking about epic items.

Last but not least since we know that this campaign is slated to go up to level 30 or so we will be getting a few divine ranks by the end and one of the divine salient abilities that I plan on getting is Craft Artifact, but I have no idea how that even works or if there's any limits/rules to it, or how to price any of it.

Efrate
2019-09-13, 05:23 PM
Skin of the proteus made by someone with max manifester level.

At will item of shapechange.

Item of gate.

Item of shades.

Epic crucible of fell power, adds xd6 per blast.

Rings of elemental immunity/mindblank/fom.

Soulfire + other yummy stuff armor.

Biggus
2019-09-13, 06:24 PM
-I am a Warlock who is taking the Master Arcane Artisan PrC on one side of the Gestalt after level 20. (Being able to use invocations that are equivalent to a 6th level spell is good enough for our table.) Basically, I can craft anything.

OK, I know very little about how Warlock crafting works (it sounds like it's been houseruled anyway) so I'm just going to take you at your word that you can craft basically anything and toss out some suggestions, you'll have to disregard anything you can't make or isn't useful.

Metamagic Rods (SRD and MiC p.164): there seems to be some disagreement about whether these work with Warlock invocations, if they do at your table they'd be very useful, especially Quicken. If these work, then presumably so does the Circlet of Rapid Casting (MiC p.86).

Third Eye Conceal (MiC p.141): 120,000GP, continuous Mind Blank effect.

Casting Glove (MiC p.84): enables you to activate or consume stored items as if they were in your hand. Most useful for metamagic rods, but also for eg with a Talisman of Undying Fortitude (MiC p.188). If the Master Alchemist prestige class (MoF p.34) exists in your setting, high-level potions.

Ring of Anticipation (DotU p.100): a snip at 6,000GP, allows you to roll initiative twice and take the better result.

Amulet of Second Chances (MiC p.70): 40,000GP, once per day allows you to redo the whole last round if things go badly wrong(!)

Boots of Temporal Acceleration (MiC p.79): 43,000GP, Time Stop for two rounds once a day.

Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE p.79): 75,000GP, continuous True Seeing.

Ring of Negative Protection (MiC p.126): 36,000GP, makes you immune to negative levels.

Tabard of Valor (CCh p.142): 12,000GP, you gain the Mettle ability whenever your HPs are below half maximum.

Ruby Cincture of Immutability (MiC p.131): 12,000GP, negates polymorph, petrification or disintegrate as an immediate action 1/day.

Mantle of Second Chances (MiC p.115): 12,000GP, reroll any one roll as an immedaite action 1/day.

I've deliberately stuck to relatively little-known items and not generally mentioned any which are from the DMG or are very popular (such as the Belt of Battle) on the assumption you know about those, I can suggest some if you like though.

You may also want to have a look at this list for ideas: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

Last but not least since we know that this campaign is slated to go up to level 30 or so we will be getting a few divine ranks by the end and one of the divine salient abilities that I plan on getting is Craft Artifact, but I have no idea how that even works or if there's any limits/rules to it, or how to price any of it.

The short answer is there aren't any rules because creating artifacts is assumed to be something PCs can't do, so you'll need to ask your DM. As regards numerical bonuses, one houserule I've seen is that epic crafting feats allow you to make items up to double the normal maximum (such as a +10 Resistance item or a +12 Strength item) and craft artifact allows you to go up to triple (so a +15 Resistance item or a +18 Strength item).

EDIT: not magic items, but if you're an epic Warlock, do you know about these? http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a

skunk3
2019-09-14, 06:34 AM
OK, I know very little about how Warlock crafting works (it sounds like it's been houseruled anyway) so I'm just going to take you at your word that you can craft basically anything and toss out some suggestions, you'll have to disregard anything you can't make or isn't useful.

Metamagic Rods (SRD and MiC p.164): there seems to be some disagreement about whether these work with Warlock invocations, if they do at your table they'd be very useful, especially Quicken. If these work, then presumably so does the Circlet of Rapid Casting (MiC p.86).

Third Eye Conceal (MiC p.141): 120,000GP, continuous Mind Blank effect.

Casting Glove (MiC p.84): enables you to activate or consume stored items as if they were in your hand. Most useful for metamagic rods, but also for eg with a Talisman of Undying Fortitude (MiC p.188). If the Master Alchemist prestige class (MoF p.34) exists in your setting, high-level potions.

Ring of Anticipation (DotU p.100): a snip at 6,000GP, allows you to roll initiative twice and take the better result.

Amulet of Second Chances (MiC p.70): 40,000GP, once per day allows you to redo the whole last round if things go badly wrong(!)

Boots of Temporal Acceleration (MiC p.79): 43,000GP, Time Stop for two rounds once a day.

Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE p.79): 75,000GP, continuous True Seeing.

Ring of Negative Protection (MiC p.126): 36,000GP, makes you immune to negative levels.

Tabard of Valor (CCh p.142): 12,000GP, you gain the Mettle ability whenever your HPs are below half maximum.

Ruby Cincture of Immutability (MiC p.131): 12,000GP, negates polymorph, petrification or disintegrate as an immediate action 1/day.

Mantle of Second Chances (MiC p.115): 12,000GP, reroll any one roll as an immedaite action 1/day.

I've deliberately stuck to relatively little-known items and not generally mentioned any which are from the DMG or are very popular (such as the Belt of Battle) on the assumption you know about those, I can suggest some if you like though.

You may also want to have a look at this list for ideas: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

The short answer is there aren't any rules because creating artifacts is assumed to be something PCs can't do, so you'll need to ask your DM. As regards numerical bonuses, one houserule I've seen is that epic crafting feats allow you to make items up to double the normal maximum (such as a +10 Resistance item or a +12 Strength item) and craft artifact allows you to go up to triple (so a +15 Resistance item or a +18 Strength item).

EDIT: not magic items, but if you're an epic Warlock, do you know about these? http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a

Yes, I'm aware of the epic Warlock feats and I plan on having a couple of them before everything is done.

Metamagic rods are kinda iffy when it comes to invocations AFAIK.

I already have basically permanent mind blank from the capstone of a prestige class.

Why go with casting gloves when you can get a pair of Gloves of the Master Strategist? Superior in basically every way.

Ring of Anticipation isn't that useful for me as I have improved initiative and a great DEX modifier.

Amulet of Second Chances sounds cool. I might have to add that on to my throat/neck item. Same with Boots of Temporal Acceleration and the Hathran Mask of True Seeing. I already have "See The Unseen" as an invocation but it has its limits.

Ring of Negative Protection / Soulfire armor enhancement aren't necessary as I have those bases covered from PrC.

As far as Tabard of Valor goes, can people just craft items that are a part of a set? Aren't there some sort of special requirements when it comes to items that come from a set?

Ruby Cincture of Immutability is already on my list of "maybes" already as something to add to my existing custom belt slot item but so far those effects haven't been threats.

As far as artifacts go, I am planning on speaking with my DM and making some sort of item that amplifies Eldritch energy somehow... like a magnifier that maybe turns EB damage into D8's or D10's instead of D6's? Who knows how much it would cost and if it could ever happen but it would be sweet.

skunk3
2019-09-14, 06:35 AM
Skin of the proteus made by someone with max manifester level.

At will item of shapechange.

Item of gate.

Item of shades.

Epic crucible of fell power, adds xd6 per blast.

Rings of elemental immunity/mindblank/fom.

Soulfire + other yummy stuff armor.

An epic Chausuble of Fell Power would be great but I'd have to learn more about the formula involved to come up with prices for +X d6 to blast damage.

skunk3
2019-09-14, 06:39 AM
FYI: My class levels are: (we started at like level 8 I think)

Side 1: Pixie (+4 LA), Dark template (+1 LA), Enlightened Spirit 10, Occult Slayer 5, Master Arcane Artisan 5
Side 2: Warlock 25

My UMD ranks are maxed out.

Biggus
2019-09-14, 08:07 AM
Why go with casting gloves when you can get a pair of Gloves of the Master Strategist? Superior in basically every way.

I'm confused, how Gloves of the Master Strategist superior to a Casting Glove? They're just a Glove of Storing with True Strike 1/day added aren't they?

False God
2019-09-14, 08:14 AM
He is a reclusive tinkerer.

Has your character considered that the flesh is weak and should be replaced with glorious machine?

Calthropstu
2019-09-14, 09:28 AM
Get an epic base, equip it with epic traps, add an epic monster to it, and hire adventurers to deal with it.

And loot their corpses.

Asmotherion
2019-09-14, 09:48 AM
As long as you have your bases covered Epic Golems are not bad. Eventhough they're not really something you need to craft VS Call via Gate or Shapechange into they're still a nice asset to the party.

Eternal Wans or Runestaffs of spells your party may occasionally need/find benefical but not significant enough your Wizard bothers preparing. Most Enchantment and Evocation Spells fall under this.

i also find that there is no such thing as too many metamagic rods. Especially to help your Wizard buffstac more spells for the whole party.

What items do you already have? this will be useful to provide more useful solutions.

PS: Cover your bases includes having at least one item for each of True Seing/Mind Blanc and your choice of Negative Energy/Energy Drain/Ability Score Damage/Drain imunity.

Get an epic base, equip it with epic traps, add an epic monster to it, and hire adventurers to deal with it.

And loot their corpses.

-What a nice idea!

https://akanagi.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/overlord-season-4-release-date-when-its-the-anime-coming-out-758x426.jpg.webp

Efrate
2019-09-14, 10:14 AM
Crusables seem to scale in price like magic weapons only starting at +2 because blast itself is a "magic weapon."

3d6 would require CL 12 and cost 32,000.

4d6 would be 50,000 require CL 15.

5d6 would be 72,000 and need CL 18.

6d6 would require CL 21 and be a non-epic item, so it would likely be 98,000. Since technically as a +7 weapon, and that is within the normal range, and caster level in and of itself doesn't get the x10 increase.

7d6 woud be 128,000 cl 24.

8d6 would be 162,000 and cl 27.

9d6 would be 200,000 and cl 30.

10d6 would be epic as a +11 weapon, and would be cl 33 and cost 2,420,000.

And so on and so forth.

RNightstalker
2019-09-15, 12:09 AM

And loot their corpses.

Wow...that is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time!

Troacctid
2019-09-15, 12:39 AM
Have you seen my Warlockopedia? I have an...extremely comprehensive itemization guide (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit?usp=sharing).

skunk3
2019-09-15, 06:05 AM
Have you seen my Warlockopedia? I have an...extremely comprehensive itemization guide (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit?usp=sharing).

Yeah, I've seen it.