PDA

View Full Version : Solo and small parties - extra concentration, attunement?

Greywander
2019-09-13, 04:50 AM
I posted this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?596581-Solo-small-party-Try-Heroic-Resistance-Actions) a little while ago looking into solutions for small parties and solo games by taking a page out of the rules used for legendary monsters; namely, PC versions of Legendary Actions and Resistance.

Aside from action economy, as well as the ease with which a small party can be completely disabled by just a few failed saves, a small party is also at a disadvantage when it comes to concentration slots and attunement slots. A party with two or three casters can combine their concentration to have multiple spells up and running at once, such as putting both Fly and Invisibility on the rogue. A party with only one caster can't. Likewise, a solo player has to contend with just three attunement slots, while a larger party can make use of a larger number of magic items.

How would people feel about giving small parties and solo players extra concentration or attunement slots? Thinking about it somewhat briefly, here's my initial thoughts on how to handle it:

Three player parties are probably fine as-is.
Two player parties get four attunement slots each, and a third concentration slot that is shared between them (perhaps via a magic item that only one or the other can hold).
Solo players get six attunement slots and two concentration slots.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-13, 05:02 AM
seems alright.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-09-13, 05:04 AM
Hmm. My immediate reaction is that I don't think that kind of thing is necessary. For sure the ability to bring in more concentration spells and magic items is a nice perk for large parties, but I don't feel like it's the only thing keeping them from disaster.

Like, how often does a five-person party actually execute combo moves that rely on multiple concentration spells or magic items? I can't recall many instances of that in my games.

That said, I haven't done much with small parties. Just a few short mini-arcs for solo characters. And in those cases, I have tended to de-emphasise combat even more than I usually would. So yeah, not really an expert in this particular issue.

Kwinza
2019-09-13, 07:22 AM
The easiest fix, should this need a fix, is to simply not use that many save or suck spells on a smaller group.

Tailor the campaign around the group, not the group around the campaign.