PDA

View Full Version : Ranger beast master with skeleton companion!

moonfly7
2019-09-13, 09:03 AM
So, I had an idea in my first ever DND game where I played a ranger, if we had gotten to level 3 I would have asked the DM if I could have a skeleton companion for my beast master.
Fast forward 3 years later to mow, same DM. He has really loose rules on polymorph and wild shape, and I'm in his game, which is now level 7.
We talk, and he agrees, I can have a skeleton companion for beast master ranger(revised) but we've worked out the rules so that if it dies, I need someone to cast animate dead if I want him back, otherwise I just get an animal that lives around the area I'm in.
I'm thinking that the skellies a dead ranger, and it was guarding some old nature temple when me and my animal companion were attacked. My companion was killed, and the skeleton managed to save my life.
Because he's bound to a skeleton, he's probably going to be hunted/shunned by most society and probably the beast conclave. Druids might even be hunting him, I don't know. But He doesn't care, he's a ranger, he's always been more or less unwelcome in society. Besides, he sees the skeleton as a fellow ranger, a fellow man of arms who he can trust with his life.

So, let me know what you think! Maybe give me some race ideas if you can, and maybe an idea for what uncommon magic item I should take, thanks in advance!

CTurbo
2019-09-13, 09:20 AM
I love the idea and it's the kind of thing I would allow in my game. As far as race goes I don't think it matters as it wouldn't/shouldn't get any racial bonuses anyway.

As far as magic item maybe some kind of much weaker Cloak of Invisibility? Like equal to the spell "Invisibility" that doesn't let you say invisible after attacking.

moonfly7
2019-09-13, 09:44 AM
I love the idea and it's the kind of thing I would allow in my game. As far as race goes I don't think it matters as it wouldn't/shouldn't get any racial bonuses anyway.

As far as magic item maybe some kind of much weaker Cloak of Invisibility? Like equal to the spell "Invisibility" that doesn't let you say invisible after attacking.

I meant races for my character, not my skeleton.
I'm also tempted to get as many items for me skelly as possible, but since he can't attune, I'm limited.

I'd also love some help with fighting combos, like different routines they might do together. The beauty of this build is that one of us can be an archer, and the other a melee, we just have to decide which. We can both shoot sometimes, allowing for a volley of arrows, but the skeleton would probably be better as melee, because if I do a ranged attack, at level 5 it can make a melee attack directly after.

NaughtyTiger
2019-09-13, 04:48 PM
lizardfolk? definitely reusing your enemy... and it has decent ranger compatibility?
duergar? cuz they are jerks

moonfly7
2019-09-13, 05:02 PM
lizardfolk? definitely reusing your enemy... and it has decent ranger compatibility?
duergar? cuz they are jerks

Well I mean, the skeleton isn't evil or held against its will, and it wasn't originally an enemy. I see it as the ultimate body cop. Lizardfolk could be good though.
I plan on fighting near by him in melee, he's a dex fighter so I'm going to be strength, and since he's going dual wielding I'll be using a single weapon and maybe the shield mastery feat to help protect him a bit.
Also, he can use otems for me, so if I go down he can apply a med kit to stabilize me, or feed me a health potion to get me up.

CTurbo
2019-09-13, 05:28 PM
So you're joining his game with a level 7 character? Sorry I assumed you were already a level 7 Beastmaster and you were just going to get a Skelly companion now.

The Revised Beastmaster is much much stronger than the phb version so that's good. Ask your DM if the skelly will get to level up only with Ranger levels or character levels. If it's just Ranger levels like RAW then you'd probably be best off sticking single class Ranger so you can boost the Skelly as much as possible. A single Skeleton is already not going to be very "good" in a level 7 party considering the enemies you'll be facing. I'd be looking to bump it's Dex at least once if not twice and maybe even give it the Tough feat if the DM will allow? You need to find out things like will the DM let it use a shield? What armor restrictions? You can "bard" an animal you should be able to "bard" your skeleton to an extent. I'd want it to at least have a shield.

Considering the Skelly is always going to be squishy compared to the rest of the party so you trying to focus on ranged attacks while leaving it down in melee is a bad idea. I highly recommend making a melee ranger is planning around fighting side by side, and if you NEED to fight from ranged, then both of you can do that too. Both of you Fighting Dueling Style would probably be best. You don't want your AC to be WAY better than the Skelly because then it will get focused on.

How will you get your stats? Standard Array? Point buy? Rolled?

For race I would probably go Variant Human and take Sentinel so if you're fighting beside your buddy, you can make enemies pay for attacking it. Wood Elf is always great too.

The Revised Beastmaster's 5th level Coordinated Attack feature stacks with other classes Extra Attack feature so a Ranger 5/Fighter 5 for example... both you and your Skelly would get 2 attacks per round, and you'd get the third attack if you could trigger a reaction attack.

Build ideas

BeastMaster 5/BattleMaster 5. You get 2 Fighting Styles which any two out of Dueling, Archery, or Defense would be best IMO. TWF is not THAT bad. You'd get 3 smaller attacks per turn and a possible 4th with your reaction and your Skelly would still get 2. This build with Riposte and Sentinel you'd have an VERY reliable way to get a reaction attack each round. Maybe just maybe ask the DM if your Skelly could gain the 2nd Fighting Style instead of you? It's a reach but you never know.

BeastMaster 5/Wolf Totem Barb 5. You don't HAVE to go Str Ranger with this but I probably would. You could easily keep Dex at 14 and use Medium Armor. You can't Rage and Spell and Rage at the same time but you won't always be Raging. When you ARE Raging, you and your Skelly would be a beast combo in combat with both of you always having advantage on all of your attacks, and the damage resistance is just great.

Beastmaster 5/Monk 5. The Revised Ranger is actually a pretty great multiclass for a Monk. Monks get a lot of attacks and that benefits Favored Enemy and Hunter's Mark. That's an extra 1d6+2 per attack for 3-5 attacks a round. (2 attacks with Action, 1-2 attacks with Bonus Action from Martial Arts/FoB, and then a reaction attack) and then another 1d6+2 for your Skelly's 2 attacks. This build is a little more ASI dependent though.

IF you roll stats and get GREAT stats, Beastmaster 7/Paladin 6 is actually amazing. Yeah it's a 13th level character but your beast would be proficient in all saves, have advantage on them, and get to add the your Cha to then as well. Plus both of you get 2 attacks now with SMITE. Of course this build is crazy MAD needed a 13 in Str, Dex, Wis, and Cha. Oathbreaker 7 and your Skelly gets to add your Cha mod to damage too.

BeastMaster 5/Cleric 5. BE capable of casting your own Animate Dead. Now you don't even care how squishy your Skelly is as long as it hits hard. War Cleric gets you an extra Bonus Action attack for Emergencies. Plus Spirit Guardians! Hmmm.... how would healing work on your undead Companion?

BeastMaster 5/Bladesinger 5. A little MAD, but the synergy is there. Just can't use a shield. Cast your own Animate Dead again while a couple times a day be even better in combat.

moonfly7
2019-09-13, 05:44 PM
So you're joining his game with a level 7 character? Sorry I assumed you were already a level 7 Beastmaster and you were just going to get a Skelly companion now.

The Revised Beastmaster is much much stronger than the phb version so that's good. Ask your DM if the skelly will get to level up only with Ranger levels or character levels. If it's just Ranger levels like RAW then you'd probably be best off sticking single class Ranger so you can boost the Skelly as much as possible. A single Skeleton is already not going to be very "good" in a level 7 party considering the enemies you'll be facing. I'd be looking to bump it's Dex at least once if not twice and maybe even give it the Tough feat if the DM will allow? You need to find out things like will the DM let it use a shield? What armor restrictions? You can "bard" an animal you should be able to "bard" your skeleton to an extent. I'd want it to at least have a shield.

Considering the Skelly is always going to be squishy compared to the rest of the party so you trying to focus on ranged attacks while leaving it down in melee is a bad idea. I highly recommend making a melee ranger is planning around fighting side by side, and if you NEED to fight from ranged, then both of you can do that too. Both of you Fighting Dueling Style would probably be best. You don't want your AC to be WAY better than the Skelly because then it will get focused on.

How will you get your stats? Standard Array? Point buy? Rolled?

For race I would probably go Variant Human and take Sentinel so if you're fighting beside your buddy, you can make enemies pay for attacking it. Wood Elf is always great too.

The Revised Beastmaster's 5th level Coordinated Attack feature stacks with other classes Extra Attack feature so a Ranger 5/Fighter 5 for example... both you and your Skelly would get 2 attacks per round, and you'd get the third attack if you could trigger a reaction attack.

Build ideas

BeastMaster 5/BattleMaster 5. You get 2 Fighting Styles which any two out of Dueling, Archery, or Defense would be best IMO. TWF is not THAT bad. You'd get 3 smaller attacks per turn and a possible 4th with your reaction and your Skelly would still get 2. This build with Riposte and Sentinel you'd have an VERY reliable way to get a reaction attack each round. Maybe just maybe ask the DM if your Skelly could gain the 2nd Fighting Style instead of you? It's a reach but you never know.

BeastMaster 5/Wolf Totem Barb 5. You don't HAVE to go Str Ranger with this but I probably would. You could easily keep Dex at 14 and use Medium Armor. You can't Rage and Spell and Rage at the same time but you won't always be Raging. When you ARE Raging, you and your Skelly would be a beast combo in combat with both of you always having advantage on all of your attacks, and the damage resistance is just great.

Beastmaster 5/Monk 5. The Revised Ranger is actually a pretty great multiclass for a Monk. Monks get a lot of attacks and that benefits Favored Enemy and Hunter's Mark. That's an extra 1d6+2 per attack for 3-5 attacks a round. (2 attacks with Action, 1-2 attacks with Bonus Action from Martial Arts/FoB, and then a reaction attack) and then another 1d6+2 for your Skelly's 2 attacks. This build is a little more ASI dependent though.

IF you roll stats and get GREAT stats, Beastmaster 7/Paladin 6 is actually amazing. Yeah it's a 13th level character but your beast would be proficient in all saves, have advantage on them, and get to add the your Cha to then as well. Plus both of you get 2 attacks now with SMITE. Of course this build is crazy MAD needed a 13 in Str, Dex, Wis, and Cha. Oathbreaker 7 and your Skelly gets to add your Cha mod to damage too.

BeastMaster 5/Cleric 5. BE capable of casting your own Animate Dead. Now you don't even care how squishy your Skelly is as long as it hits hard. War Cleric gets you an extra Bonus Action attack for Emergencies. Plus Spirit Guardians! Hmmm.... how would healing work on your undead Companion?

BeastMaster 5/Bladesinger 5. A little MAD, but the synergy is there. Just can't use a shield. Cast your own Animate Dead again while a couple times a day be even better in combat.

If I multiclass I'll be a druid, land druid to be specific, but I don't think I'll do even that.
Second, this is one of my (many) backup characters, so he isn't in just yet, but my characters are currently cursed to die exactly every 2 and a half sessions. So won't be long.
Third, he actually has 44 HP right now, more than our late wizard, and as much as my last character at 6th level. He uses my proficiency bonus, and adds it to his to hit, damage, and AC. So with just armor scraps he has a 16. But I'm going to by him some studded leather and bump that to 17. Possibly 18.

Oh, and the skeleton has a name now, I'm case I forgot to mention;
He is now INDIANA BONES!!!!
He was a ranger who died in an ancient temple, my next ability score increase is going into int for him so I can give him history out the wazu. At least until I get a headband of intellect.