PDA

View Full Version : Blew up a sulfur mine. Fueled a cursed weapon. Became a demon.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-13, 03:19 PM
So, I took on a side quest to get cash. Goblin village, they trapped the area to high heaven. Found a sulfur mine connected to them. So I covered a large crossbow bolt (I was using them with Launch bolt if I felt lazy for a ranged attack) anyway covered it in grease. Opened a rope trick in air, lit it on fire dropped it. Stepped into rope trick. Close. DM informs me it was a 5 mile mine and I killed so many people my cursed item got filled turning me demon. I'm a wizard/Jade Phoenix mage. (Gestalt). He wants to use Succubus and just give me racial bonuses from the curse. I feel like I'm wasting the +10 charisma (the other stat bonuses aren't too shabby, he's using savage species and calcing bonuses using that) from stats he plans to give me. But greater teleport at will is nothing to knock I suppose. Dunno odd day, and umm we've gone evil I suppose. I'll have to process the major character modification I've undergone.

Telonius
2019-09-13, 03:36 PM
What's more surprising to me is that no other team of adventurers had gotten to them before you. 5 miles worth of flammable substances in a D&D world is just begging for immolation.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-13, 03:45 PM
What's more surprising to me is that no other team of adventurers had gotten to them before you. 5 miles worth of flammable substances in a D&D world is just begging for immolation.

Yeah, shame it's all nuked now. Interestingly enough this Kingdom was "preparing for War" with an neighboring Kingdom. I became a Criminal of the state I was told. So I joined the Warband I guess? of bandits that were pillaging small towns and villages. Why not I'll get death penalty if I get captured by the Kingdom at this point. I figure why not join the people that the kingdom was so understaffed our party got hired to eliminate.

CIDE
2019-09-13, 04:10 PM
Mostly a fluff question but how much of a physical change was there from this whole thing? Aesthetically?

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-13, 04:16 PM
Mof question but how much of a physical change was there from this whole thing? Aesthetically?

He described it as similar to a volcano going off and killing everyone in 7+ ish mile radius? Honestly I think I gave him a head ache trying to figure out exactly how much changed in the world off that. How many farms got destroyed, food supply interrupted. I wonder if the kingdom is gonna be able to go to war w/o Supplies. LOL

Afghanistan
2019-09-13, 07:11 PM
Well now I want a campaign journal :smallannoyed:

CIDE
2019-09-13, 07:22 PM
He described it as similar to a volcano going off and killing everyone in 7+ ish mile radius? Honestly I think I gave him a head ache trying to figure out exactly how much changed in the world off that. How many farms got destroyed, food supply interrupted. I wonder if the kingdom is gonna be able to go to war w/o Supplies. LOL

I more meant the character but the mine explosion works too.

NNescio
2019-09-13, 09:08 PM
...Sulfur doesn't explode.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-13, 09:32 PM
I more meant the character but the mine explosion works too.Succubi are shapeshifters. It doesn't matter what s/he looks like now, since s/he can change whenever s/he wants.

(Did he swap genders, or does he just gain the abilities of a succubus while looking generally the same?)

Use that amazing Cha score to (greater) planar bind some things. And if your Cha is significantly higher than your Int now, what about taking the Lost Tradition feat, from Bastards & Bloodlines for Charisma?

Also, look at some sorcerer and bard optimization handbooks and other threads for Cha optimization?

...Sulfur doesn't explode.It does burn, however, and there were likely explosive gases trapped all over the place down there, especially since there tends to be a lot of sulfur around volcanic vents (which can be rife with pressurized, explosive gas).

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-13, 09:40 PM
...Sulfur doesn't explode.

Dunno, I just got warned about it being possibly explosive to fire by the DM. Which, I utilized by intentionally exploding it. I assume natural gas or something in there. The sad part was it overkill mostly tbh, it was just some goblins modeled after Tuckers Kobolds. I decided traps take to much time, nuclear option works to. Like why be a smart player and tactically "deal" with Tuckers kobolds, when I can instead just go Nuke it from Orbit level destruction on my problem.

Succubi are shapeshifters. It doesn't matter what s/he looks like now, since s/he can change whenever s/he wants.

(Did he swap genders, or does he just gain the abilities of a succubus while looking generally the same?)

Use that amazing Cha score to (greater) planar bind some things. And if your Cha is significantly higher than your Int now, what about taking the Lost Tradition feat, from Bastards & Bloodlines for Charisma?

Also, look at some sorcerer and bard optimization handbooks and other threads for Cha optimization?

It does burn, however, and there were likely explosive gases trapped all over the place down there, especially since there tends to be a lot of sulfur around volcanic vents (which can be rife with pressurized, explosive gas).

I was told my shapechange is limited to single form, and it's what I looked like prior to gaining a demonic form. Which is apparently just darker skinned, bald and horned. *shrug* And no my Cha went from 10 to 20. The 6 int? I gained puts my Int into the 30s. So Int still better. Just feels weird to have a +5 stat that I.. think I'll only utilize via Diplomacy? But we're Gestalt and were lvl 8. The other players got a handwave "you're 10 now" and I was told this "boon" is going to treat me as the same ECL as a lvl 10. It's non buy off LA, kiiinda sucks but the party is only 40,000 EXP or something? (UA EXP chart variant) ahead of me, and 40k isn't a ton in a few levels I should catch up.

False God
2019-09-13, 09:56 PM
I was told my shapechange is limited to single form, and it's what I looked like prior to gaining a demonic form. Which is apparently just darker skinned, bald and horned. *shrug*

As someone playing a Succubus in another game, that's soooooo boring. Half the fun is simply pretending to be someone else at random, also really leverages that charisma score when you're lying to everyone.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-13, 10:09 PM
Did you gain Hit Dice? Can you swap bodies to negate the LA? If so, get yourself a thought bottle. Give yourself a permanent negative level (and purposefully fail your Fort save), then get a greater restoration to ensure that your XP level is equal to your effective character level. Now store your XP in the thought bottle, give yourself a bunch of permanent negative levels to rid yourself of your LA and HD, and do a permanent body-swap with someone else, so you're no longer a succubus. Then use the thought bottle again to restore your XP, and use those XP to take class levels.

Screw you, HD and LA.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-13, 10:42 PM
Did you gain Hit Dice? Can you swap bodies to negate the LA? If so, get yourself a thought bottle. Give yourself a permanent negative level (and purposefully fail your Fort save), then get a greater restoration to ensure that your XP level is equal to your effective character level. Now store your XP in the thought bottle, give yourself a bunch of permanent negative levels to rid yourself of your LA and HD, and do a permanent body-swap with someone else, so you're no longer a succubus. Then use the thought bottle again to restore your XP, and use those XP to take class levels.

Screw you, HD and LA.

Debated, but I have to "take it as is, or make a new character." Really enjoying the character actually and I don't want to feel like that cheesy dude who makes x2 the Brother of Fred #1. I'd have to go new concept to be happy. *shrug*

Afghanistan
2019-09-13, 11:05 PM
Like why be a smart player and tactically "deal" with Tuckers kobolds, when I can instead just go Nuke it from Orbit level destruction on my problem.

In other words: "Why solve the puzzle, when I can smash the puzzle instead, and burn down the manufacturer."

I'll need to keep this in mind for use of Tucker's Kobold style encounter design in the future; Although, I am quite torn on how to do so when your character was quite blatantly chaotic evil in the first place and therefore gave no ****s. I'd be quite upset if I was your DM and you did the equivalent of flipping the table instead of solving the problem. Not that I'd verbally complain mind you, but I would be at a loss for words.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-13, 11:17 PM
In other words: "Why solve the puzzle, when I can smash the puzzle instead, and burn down the manufacturer."

I'll need to keep this in mind for use of Tucker's Kobold style encounter design in the future; Although, I am quite torn on how to do so when your character was quite blatantly chaotic evil in the first place and therefore gave no ****s. I'd be quite upset if I was your DM and you did the equivalent of flipping the table instead of solving the problem. Not that I'd verbally complain mind you, but I would be at a loss for words.

I don't like puzzles to be honest. I usually let other players solve them unless I can figure them out in like say give 20-30 minutes of our time? Also mind this wasn't a maximized spell or crap like that, I just set Grease on Fire and used the environment. Which the DM himself made. I expect he wanted us to be careful in the area of Sulfur vents and crap while doing reflex saves, tumble checks or crap and moving around a maze. But to be fair, when you're told something is dangerously explosive and it's directly in the area of your "kill" objective. Do you honestly think a player isn't going go creative and well, set off the explosive material you put around them?

I would say this is, a lesson to a DM as well? Don't put explosive material in areas you don't want blown up?

NNescio
2019-09-14, 03:36 AM
It does burn, however,

Plenty of things burn. Most don't explode though, unless you mix them with oxidizers in the right proportions (which is why sulfur isn't explosive but gunpowder is).

and there were likely explosive gases trapped all over the place down there, especially since there tends to be a lot of sulfur around volcanic vents (which can be rife with pressurized, explosive gas).

Volcanic gases have too much water vapor and carbon dioxide to be explosive (generally speaking, that is). There are individual components that might be explosive, but only if mixed with air in the correct proportions (without other components), which are highly unlikely to occur under volcanic conditions.

You might be thinking of firedamp, which doesn't usually occur in regions of volcanic activity. (Same reason why it's hard to get both coal and magma on the same map in Dwarf Fortress, because the game models geology.)

In any case, even if the volcanic gases are somehow mixed with air in proportionally-correct ratios (and dried), having enough of them (or aerosolized finely-divided sulfur, which is even far less likely) to blow up an entire mine (and the 7 mile radius around it) is virtually absolutely impossible. You can't get the power of a strategic nuke (this is not hyperbole) out of that even if all the stars align.

DM must have been belaboring under the mistaken impression that sulfur is explodium like naquadah or other similar SciFi/Fantasy unobtainium. Possibly the misconception arose because sulfur is a component of gunpowder.

Eh, it's taking out a strategic resource of an enemy. Went way overboard, but I see no way how one can reasonably foresee the scale of the destruction (given the information provided by the OP), both in and out of character.

But to be fair, when you're told something is dangerously explosive and it's directly in the area of your "kill" objective. Do you honestly think a player isn't going go creative and well, set off the explosive material you put around them?

I would say this is, a lesson to a DM as well? Don't put explosive material in areas you don't want blown up?

Agreed. Don't put explosive barrels around things you don't want blown up.

(And don't scale up the explosion to credulity-shattering levels just because one isn't happy with the player blowing things up.)

Crake
2019-09-14, 03:42 AM
Side note: You can't "close" a rope trick. Pulling up the rope doesn't actually close the portal, just hides it, things can still pass in and out of it, like, i dunno, a giant explosion.

Mr Adventurer
2019-09-14, 03:44 AM
The Grease spell also doesn't say anything about being flammable.

Crake
2019-09-14, 04:08 AM
The Grease spell also doesn't say anything about being flammable.

He did just mention using grease, not necessarily the grease spell.

Mr Adventurer
2019-09-14, 04:19 AM
He did just mention using grease, not necessarily the grease spell.

True. Though it is capitalised at one point.

NNescio
2019-09-14, 04:32 AM
Side note: You can't "close" a rope trick. Pulling up the rope doesn't actually close the portal, just hides it, things can still pass in and out of it, like, i dunno, a giant explosion.

True, but the Rope Trick portal still blocks "area effects", which don't necessarily have to be a spell.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-14, 06:06 AM
True, but the Rope Trick portal still blocks "area effects", which don't necessarily have to be a spell.

That's how it got ruled to me. And yes I used grease the spell. Which is being house ruled to function as regular grease for certain effects. Like being lit on fire. Not the first time I'd used it to that effect.

Particle_Man
2019-09-14, 10:28 AM

On the other hand, CE souls sometimes end up becoming demons. Perhaps the cursed item merely sped this process up dramatically? So that the character *did* die (and became a demon), but just didn't notice (I mean, explosions are fast - perhaps too fast to process)? :smallbiggrin:

A use for the CHA bonus is to hide the INT bonus. Don't let on that you are a powerful wizard, but just a "garden variety" succubus. Let people underestimate you. And even if you can't shapeshift to anything you want, you can still use a (now boosted by cha) disguise skill, supplemented by a 1st level wizard spell like disguise self.

That said, I thought that Jade Phoenix Mage had to be non-evil? And that prestige classes did not get to be gestalted? Or was only the wizard part of you gestalted with something?

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-14, 11:15 AM
On the other hand, CE souls sometimes end up becoming demons. Perhaps the cursed item merely sped this process up dramatically? So that the character *did* die (and became a demon), but just didn't notice (I mean, explosions are fast - perhaps too fast to process)? :smallbiggrin:

A use for the CHA bonus is to hide the INT bonus. Don't let on that you are a powerful wizard, but just a "garden variety" succubus. Let people underestimate you. And even if you can't shapeshift to anything you want, you can still use a (now boosted by cha) disguise skill, supplemented by a 1st level wizard spell like disguise self.

That said, I thought that Jade Phoenix Mage had to be non-evil? And that prestige classes did not get to be gestalted? Or was only the wizard part of you gestalted with something?

I started CN, the cursed item shifted me evil. After several kills with it. Also the DM allowed JPM in gestalt because it barely forwards the TOB half it's basically a caster prc. Real dual progressions actually progress both halves. Like theurge.

Crake
2019-09-15, 12:04 AM
I started CN, the cursed item shifted me evil. After several kills with it. Also the DM allowed JPM in gestalt because it barely forwards the TOB half it's basically a caster prc. Real dual progressions actually progress both halves. Like theurge.

JPM is a full initiator progression class, I don't know what you're talking about :smallconfused:

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-15, 05:07 AM
JPM is a full initiator progression class, I don't know what you're talking about :smallconfused:

It gives +0 on stances and maneuvers on most levels. The total is 5 maneuvers 3 readied 1 stance over 10 levels. That isn't much compared to the progression of the base 3. That's pretty ****ty progression.

Particle_Man
2019-09-15, 09:45 AM
Yeah but JPM also gives actual class abilities of its own, including two special stances, a way to turn magic into melee damage and autoresurrection. It is also full BAB.