PDA

View Full Version : Necromancy Wizard/Warlock combo

Nagog
2019-09-13, 05:05 PM
Hey Ya'll! Just wanted to run a build past y'all and get some feedback and suggestions!

The character is a Necromancer with a heavy focus on raising the dead in various ways. Due to his... varied and rules bending backstory, he's from the distant past, so the dead he's raising are mostly old friends (if they're spirits) or just whatever corpse happens to be lying around if they're physical.
Stats: 7; 15; 15; 20; 12; 19. (We rolled for stats)
For the mechanics behind it, I'm currently level 3 Necromancy Wizard, planning to stick with that until level 6 or further, then multiclass into Warlock to capitalize on his Charisma. I'm thinking I'll only go 3 levels into Warlock so I can still get 9th level Wizard spells if we make it to level 20. The issue I'm having most trouble with is the Patron. Considering I'll only be 3 levels in, I won't be getting anything but the patrons level 1 ability, and I'd like to be able to re-texture it as necromantic in nature.
Right now my plan is to go with the recent UA "Lurker in the Deep" and re-texture the tentacle summoned to a ghost or other spirit, however this is open to change if a better selection is presented
Playstyle is a back line caster/minionmancer.

Questions? Suggestions? Concerns? Personal attacks?

Justin Sane
2019-09-13, 06:01 PM
The Raven Queen patron looks like a better thematic fit, and it does get Spiritual Weapon, which is much easier to refluff.

Nagog
2019-09-13, 06:09 PM
The Raven Queen patron looks like a better thematic fit, and it does get Spiritual Weapon, which is much easier to refluff.

I've been considering that, also Spiritual Weapon scales better than Lurker's tentacle, but I have no idea what I'd do with the raven XD
I should also mention the campaign this character is in goes by Old Fey rules (Names have power, vial of salt to distract a fey, etc.). Also the character is undead, which may mean Raven Queen has a bone to pick with him (pun 100% intended). Long story short, he's a pseudo-lich (Undead and effectively immortal, but without any of the other arcane might perks of being a lich like revival or spellcasting prowess).

JackPhoenix
2019-09-13, 07:16 PM
Soooo.... what's wrong with Undying patron?

Damon_Tor
2019-09-13, 08:47 PM
Soooo.... what's wrong with Undying patron?

How about this: use the undying patron and make the identity of that patron... himself. At some point in the future he gets strong enough to reach back to the past and influence his own timeline, acting as his own patron to augment his power.

RickAllison
2019-09-13, 11:16 PM
The flip side is that the first ability for Undying doesn't really capture the feel of being undead. You are immune to disease, can keep people from dying, and are warded against the undead. Neither of the spells do a lot for that image either.

I would go with Fiend instead. The spells don't fit too well, but you can primarily rely on your warlock spell list anyway since those are just additional options. Getting temporary HP from slaying the living does tie well into your theme, since undead seeking out and draining life shows up a lot.

Nagog
2019-09-14, 09:11 AM
The flip side is that the first ability for Undying doesn't really capture the feel of being undead. You are immune to disease, can keep people from dying, and are warded against the undead. Neither of the spells do a lot for that image either.

I would go with Fiend instead. The spells don't fit too well, but you can primarily rely on your warlock spell list anyway since those are just additional options. Getting temporary HP from slaying the living does tie well into your theme, since undead seeking out and draining life shows up a lot.

Agreed on the Undying patron. TBH the Undying patron feels like a weak subclass mechanically, when there's the celestial that prevents folks from dying before dropping to 0 hp. And disease and poison are both uncommon problems to have, considering how easy they are to get rid of otherwise.

For the Fiend, I may nab that temp hp. It would combine well with Necromancy Wizard's Grim Harvest feature, so I could heal myself and grant temp HP as well.

Magicspook
2019-09-15, 11:17 AM
Feylock gives you a fear/charm aura 1/rest