PDA

View Full Version : PrCs that give and/or upgrade weapons

DEMON
2019-09-14, 02:53 PM
*ONLY SPELL-"LESS CLASSES PLEASE*

Hello folks,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for any and all Prestige classes that either provide or upgrade a weapon the PC has, such as:

- Anointed Knight (Anoint Ancestral Weapon)
- Incarnum Blade (Shape and Bind Blademeld)
- Kensai (Signature Weapon)
- Shadow Sentinel (Umbral Blade)

pabelfly
2019-09-14, 04:35 PM
Ruathar lets you receive an elven-themed item as a gift, and includes a longsword, rapier or composite longbow. Also fully advances spellcasting.

Nounverber
2019-09-14, 04:36 PM
The Samurai (Oriental Adventures) base class gets an ancestral weapon that can be upgraded by sacrificing things worth gold to it (instead of selling vendor trash for half price) and meditating for days. It is usually a sword of some type but there's flavor rules within the class to get it as a different weapon. Best of all is it scales off character level, not Samurai level

Unavenger
2019-09-14, 04:59 PM
Shadowsmith can create items, including weapons. Soulbow sort-of creates weapons/upgrades the mind blade.

EDIT: Legacy champion upgrades your weapon of legacy. There's also a bunch of UA classes which upgrade a weapon as part of a variant rule system.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-14, 09:38 PM
Pyrokineticist (and its energy type alternatives) and soulbow both grant one and improve it a bit over the course of each PrC. The first grants touch-attack energy whips and extra energy damage to any weapon you hold (including the whips), and the second grants mind arrows and improves them with every level.

Silvercrys
2019-09-14, 09:51 PM
Oriental Adventures Samurai and Soulknife are two base classes that do it, think we're out of (first party) prestige classes already though.

Ancestral Relic and Item Familiar are two feats that do the thing, too, as do Legacy Weapons from, well, Weapons of Legacy, though the benefits usually don't outweigh the costs.

Let's see.

Shape Soulmeld (Incarnate Weapon) will give you a scaling weapon, too, though you'll have to take a bunch of Incarnum feats to power its enhancement bonus.

Totemist 2 can get you all sorts of natural weapons that scale the same way, particularly Sphinx Claws, but you need the actual levels because you normally don't get the natural weapon unless you bind it to your totem chakra.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-14, 09:55 PM
Oriental Adventures Samurai and Soulknife are two base classes that do it, think we're out of (first party) prestige classes already though.

Ancestral Relic and Item Familiar are two feats that do the thing, too, as do Legacy Weapons from, well, Weapons of Legacy, though the benefits usually don't outweigh the costs.

Let's see.

Shape Soulmeld (Incarnate Weapon) will give you a scaling weapon, too, though you'll have to take a bunch of Incarnum feats to power its enhancement bonus.

Totemist 2 can get you all sorts of natural weapons that scale the same way, particularly Sphinx Claws, but you need the actual levels because you normally don't get the natural weapon unless you bind it to your totem chakra.I was only concerned about PrCs. There are plenty of other ways to get weapons, after all, and listing them all would take a very, very long time. Like, there's an ACF for psychic warriors called soulbound weapon. And you can trick your way into making a very expensive weapon via the Landlord feat. Of course, Leadership could get you a fiend of possession that could possess a weapon, or a ghost who possesses an intelligent weapon.

Isn't there an incarnum PrC that lets you chakra bind a melee weapon?

Thrallherd could also get a fiend of possession or a ghost (or both!) easily enough. And one of those is a PrC, while the other is PrC-esque.

darkdragoon
2019-09-14, 10:02 PM
Would Exotic Weapon Master count?

UA legendary weapons and their related scion class:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-14, 10:11 PM
There's the psychic weapon master PrC (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d)...

DEMON
2019-09-15, 03:57 AM
Would Exotic Weapon Master count?

Exotic Weapon Master doesn't fit the bill, but Psychic Weapon Master does.
But who on Earth came up with such godawful pre-reqs for that PrC?!

Asmotherion
2019-09-15, 05:10 AM
Disiple of Dispater for crazy crits. 3.0 material but never updated to 3.5 so fair game.

No spellcasting; Gives you some SLAs though.

DEMON
2019-09-15, 09:01 AM
Disiple of Dispater for crazy crits. 3.0 material but never updated to 3.5 so fair game.

Not really what I'm looking for, as it doesn't really improve a weapon, but thanks anyways.

Shadowsmith can create items, including weapons.

Thanks and lookin up the Shadowsmith I also found Shadowblade, which also fits the bill to the T.

Zaq
2019-09-15, 11:00 AM
Does stormlord (Complete Divine) count? It spontaneously gives specific magical enhancements to your javelins as you throw them.

There’s also shining blade of Heironeous, not that we like talking about that one.

You mentioned anointed knight. I remember that there’s a really boring and generic equivalent PrC in BoVD (warrior of darkness or something?)—does it also get the ability to buff a weapon? I genuinely forget and can’t be arsed to look it up right now.

DEMON
2019-09-15, 11:10 AM
Does stormlord (Complete Divine) count? It spontaneously gives specific magical enhancements to your javelins as you throw them.

I guess it does. It's a +1/level casting PrC though, but that does not affect this particular ability.

There’s also shining blade of Heironeous, not that we like talking about that one.

Kind of a caster as well, but the Shock/Holy/Brilliant Bade abilities would count.

You mentioned anointed knight. I remember that there’s a really boring and generic equivalent PrC in BoVD (warrior of darkness or something?)—does it also get the ability to buff a weapon? I genuinely forget and can’t be arsed to look it up right now.

The WoD works somewhat differently to AK, when it comes to weapons. Instead of Anoint Weapon ability it gets another instance of self-buffing (Black Magic Elixir), but it also gets a Darkling Weapon ability @ lvl 2 that I completely forgot about and that actually fits the bill... so thanks!

DEMON
2019-09-16, 05:53 PM
Another one for the list: Shadowstriker (CC) and his Luminous Weapon ability.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-09-16, 10:27 PM
Techsmith count? Lol. A golem is a weapon....

pabelfly
2019-09-16, 11:18 PM
Since Monks turn their bodies into lethal weapons, do the various Monk PrCs count?

DEMON
2019-09-17, 04:05 PM
Techsmith count? Lol. A golem is a weapon....

Nah, let's stick to the spirit of the challenge :smalltongue:

Since Monks turn their bodies into lethal weapons, do the various Monk PrCs count?

Yes, but only as long as they provide upgrades to the unarmed strike other than a base Monk does...

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-17, 08:24 PM
Yes, but only as long as they provide upgrades to the unarmed strike other than a base Monk does...

In that case, Sacred Fist, Enlightened Fist, and Fist of the Forest all probably qualify. (I'm noticing a theme with these Monk PrC names...)

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-17, 08:26 PM

In that case, Sacred Fist, Enlightened Fist, and Fist of the Forest all probably qualify. (I'm noticing a theme with these Monk PrC names...)

EDIT: Sacred Fist is divine casting. Enlightened Fist also advances casting, but since the only prerequisite is caster level, you can enter with Warlock or even a racial SLA that has a caster level.

The Viscount
2019-09-17, 09:43 PM
Soulbow's pretty fun, though it does require at least a little soulknife.

Elemental Warrior can charge your weapon with elemental energy.

If you're a monk, initiate of Draconic Mysteries "upgrades" your unarmed strike with some more features.

Master of Chains lets you make better spiked chains, assuming you're dismissing the nonsensical official stance that it is folded into exotic weapons master.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-17, 10:00 PM
Illithid savant lets you eat any of the other classes here to get their weapons and upgrades. You can also eat monsters to steal their weapons. From balors to kaorti, you can get any of them.

Uncanny trickster and legacy champion can both progress any of the other classes here, as well.

Thurbane
2019-09-17, 10:58 PM
If feats are included...Brand of the Nine Hells (Bel) gives you a special cold iron longsword or greatsword that does extra damage against good aligned creatures, and demons. Reqs involve being a devil, so tough for most PCs (there is some wiggle room for an arch-devil to grant it to non-devils). Not listed as masterwork, so probably cannot be further enhanced or upgraded. Also, exactly how the weapon appears is a bit hazy though: is it a one-off weapon that you keep? Does it appear whenever you summon it? It it suppressed in an AMF? I personally imagine it as a mark or tattoo that turns into a sword as needed.

Also not mentioned: a Binder with Eurynome can summon a large, magic warhammer, that increases in power as you level up (eventually becoming a +3 anarchic, adamantine warhammer). Also, can be wielded in one hand without penalty.

Vizzerdrix
2019-09-17, 11:05 PM
Maybe the lantan (or gnome) artificer? From magic of Faerun. I mean, they CAN make a devise of launch bolt at first level.

Psyren
2019-09-18, 01:40 AM
Renegade Mastermaker (MoE) gives you a battlefist that scales with your level and can be enchanted further

ManicOppressive
2019-09-18, 03:59 AM
Bone Knight from Five Nations (Eberron) gives you a bone weapon and bone armor on a divine gish chassis.

ShurikVch
2019-09-18, 07:56 AM
Arcane Duelist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a)
Occult Slayer (Complete Warrior)

Telonius
2019-09-18, 02:10 PM
Ironsoul Forgemaster's "Weapon Bond" turns on pretty late, but it does give an upgrade to weapons that you've crafted yourself.

Dragon Disciple gives you claws and a bite, if you didn't have them already.

Warshaper's "Morphic Weapons" let you grow a natural weapon when you're changing form. (Famously abuse-able for a Changeling).