PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Can a shadow caster get into the Alienist PrC?

Voidstar01
2019-09-14, 10:20 PM
I'm unclear on the rules here, Shadowcasters can get into a class that specifies a spellcaster as long as doesn't specify a specific type of spellcaster. Alienist says it need a summoning spell of level 3 or higher so i'm unsure. Also I don't remember if shadowcasters can actually summon anything at all.

StevenC21
2019-09-14, 10:46 PM
Shadow casters have no summon mysteries.

gorfnab
2019-09-14, 11:15 PM
I'm unclear on the rules here, Shadowcasters can get into a class that specifies a spellcaster as long as doesn't specify a specific type of spellcaster.
Here is the specifics on Shadowcasters and prestige classes.

Shadowcasters and Prestige Classes

Shadowcasters are a breed apart and do not always qualify for prestige classes that are available to more common magic users.

Levels in shadowcaster qualify for prestige classes with the following entry requirements.

A caster level requirement, if no type (arcane or divine) is specified.
Ability to cast spells of X level, if no type (arcane or divine) is specified.
Ability to cast mysteries of X level, or a specific mystery.

Levels in shadowcaster do not qualify a character for prestige classes with the following entry requirements:

A caster level requirement where the type (arcane or divine) is specified. Exception: Shadowcasters can qualify for the mystic theurge prestige class. In order to do so, they are allowed to substitute the ability to cast 2nd-level mysteries for the ability to cast 2nd-level spells. They must meet all other requirements for the prestige class normally. In addition, if a shadowcaster takes cleric levels to meet the divine spellcasting requirement, he must be devoted to a god that grants access to one of the following domains: Knowledge, Magic, Darkness, or Illusion.
Ability to cast spells of X level where the type (arcane or divine) is specified.
Ability to cast a specific spell, even if a mystery exists with a similar effect.

Alienist says it need a summoning spell of level 3 or higher so i'm unsure. Also I don't remember if shadowcasters can actually summon anything at all.

Shadow casters have no summon mysteries.
Summon Umbral Servant is 7th level conjuration (summoning) mystery and Army of Shadow is a 9th level conjuration (summoning) mystery. Shadowcasters can qualify for the Alienist prestige class with these mysteries but way late into the game and they wouldn't get much out of it.

Falontani
2019-09-14, 11:46 PM
There are several feats out there that enable one to cast sm of various levels. Anything that enables third or higher would work.

Zaq
2019-09-15, 10:56 AM
There are several feats out there that enable one to cast sm of various levels. Anything that enables third or higher would work.

Without preexisting spellcasting (mysteries aren’t spells)? I’d love to hear more. Arcane Disciple won’t work, I don’t think the bloodline feats in Dragon Compendium work, the dragonmark that gives a summon is SNA rather than SM... what feat or feats in particular were you referring to?

Silvercrys
2019-09-15, 12:33 PM
At the end of the quoted text in things it says you cannot qualify for, it says:

"Ability to cast a specific spell, even if a mystery exists with a similar effect."

So no.

However, if you have a racial SLA or somehow otherwise get access to an SLA that duplicates an appropriate level summon spell you should be able to use that for entry and use Alienist to progress your Shadowcaster levels.

Edit: Alienist only requires summon spells, not summon monster specifically, so Greater Dragonmark (Handling) works for entry but you're spending a heap of feats for this.

Shadowcaster 9/Alienist X with Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (Abjuration), Least, Lesser, and Greater Dragonmark (Handling). Needs Human and 1 flaw or 2 flaws.

I'm not sure why you would, because Shadowcasters can use basically none of the Alienist's class features, but hey, you can do it if you want to.

Voidstar01
2019-09-15, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure why you would, because Shadowcasters can use basically none of the Alienist's class features, but hey, you can do it if you want to.

I was thinking of a shadow-psudonatural familiar, and extra hitpoints are always good. but yea it seems like a bad idea on further thought.

Falontani
2019-09-15, 06:06 PM
Fiendish Legacy, Greater Dragonmark of Handling are two feats that would work.

Zaq
2019-09-16, 01:15 AM
Fiendish Legacy, Greater Dragonmark of Handling are two feats that would work.

Hmm. Indeed. It's been long enough since I looked at Fiendish Legacy that I'd forgotten what it did. I knew that Handling gave SNA5, but I forgot that SNA could let you qualify for alienist (since I knew that the summon alien class feature only worked on SM, not SNA).

Kind of frustrating that Fiendish Legacy gives SM5 instead of SM4, actually. Otherwise it could be used to qualify for fiendbinder. So it goes.