PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dwarf Fighter

ZorroGames
2019-09-15, 07:53 AM
Ever since 0D&D introduced Fighter, Cleric, Wizard classes (and Elf, Dwarf, And Hobbit were classes too then...) nothing quite says, “Go away Goblin, you’re bothering me,” like a weapon upside the head. More personal than a fireball or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick (arrow) it seems to me.

And Mountain Dwarf says it best. I do have my HCB Fighter type started with 10-15-16-12-14-8 and a DE feat at fourth but the starting 17-10-17-8-14-8 melee base is still a solid base for Battlemaster or Champion or even “no save” spells for EK in my mind.

Even at lower levels these Mountain Dwarfs seem more fun than my walking “just for a lark magical weapon shop Earth Genasi” Battlemaster with 20-10-18-10-14-8 at 11th level.

Besides the PHB, what are your favorite Subclasses for a MD Fighter? What might I enjoy branching out into some time in the future?

Nhorianscum
2019-09-15, 08:26 AM
Leaving EK behind with the rest of the PHB is hard to do.

That said abandoning PHB my personal favorite fighter sub is the Monster Hunter from UA. Aside from having better-than-paladin saves and some cray-cray nova damage against the big anti-magic enemies, the sub also comes with a crapton of utility. It's also just a joy to RP.

As far as fully printed fighter subs outside of the PHB? Gonna say PDK. It's just fun to RP. The other subs are objectively stronger but sans EK/Scout/MH/(kinda)BM our other subs are just fighter+.