PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dwarf Monk

ZorroGames
2019-09-15, 09:04 AM
One of my first 5e characters was the title just because it let me test how flexible 5e was.

Went Open Hand but now that he at almost 6th Multiclassing begins to make sense for access to something to concentrate on... Cleric perhaps?

Anyway, I think Kensei or Shadow would also have been good options for a MD. IF you were playing a MD Monk what would you choose for the subclass?

moonfly7
2019-09-15, 11:44 AM
One of my first 5e characters was the title just because it let me test how flexible 5e was.

Went Open Hand but now that he at almost 6th Multiclassing begins to make sense for access to something to concentrate on... Cleric perhaps?

Anyway, I think Kensei or Shadow would also have been good options for a MD. IF you were playing a MD Monk what would you choose for the subclass?

For subclass, I'd say you picked good. If it were me it depends on who the character was to me, what he was like. But open hand is good.
I would have taken the dwarven fortitude feat at level 4, you can heal on a dodge action, and with bonus action dodge every time you spend ki, you got a bonus action hit die.
Find a periapt of wound closure for double hit dice, and take tough at level 8 for more guaranteed health. Max out con.
Now your a short man with a super healing factor and punches that deal short sword damage. Speak in a Canadian accent and you are now wolverine.

Arkhios
2019-09-15, 12:24 PM
I've made a "promise" to myself that if I ever played a Monk in 5e, it would be Drunken Master.

Would be kinda fitting for a dwarf, who are often depicted as capable of drinking a tavern empty before they get even tipsy.

As a Mountain Dwarf, I would prefer having rolled my stats, and having rolled well, to be able to make a Strength-focused monk without gimping myself with poor dex and wis.
Even if it's fitting for a Drunken Master to appear weak and still deliver some serious hurt to opponents.