PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Questions about stealth [3.5]

Fuzzy McCoy
2019-09-15, 11:19 PM
I'm currently playing a human rogue/wizard/unseen seer and I've got some questions about hiding/moving silently and sneak attack. I've got the dark template, so I have that tasty tasty HiPS.

1. In combat - Let's say I cast cloud of knives and then go to hide behind cover. Assuming I move 20 ft or less, I should be able to stealth with no penalties. Turn 2, I have an poor schmuck enemy within 30ft. I should be able to sneak attack with the free action of cloud of knives. I then move to a different cover and attempt to hide again.
a) Are all my assumptions up to this point correct?
b) What penalties do I take for hiding the second time?
c) Assuming I am able stealth successfully, I can attempt to attack via lesser orb of sound and take a -20 to my stealth rolls to remain hidden? Do I take any additional penalties for casting it via wand vs regularly?

2. Are there any items that give +2 to only move silently? I dislike the fact that the dark template, awesome though it is, gives different bonuses to hide vs move silently.

I realize most of this can be rendered obsolete with glitterdusts, invisibility, and the like, but will saves can be made and see invisibility is a thing that exists.

Jowgen
2019-09-16, 01:26 AM
From how you've written, it looks like you're using the outdated version of Dark template from Tome of Magic. The latest printing of that template is from Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, the difference being that it grants the superior Su version of HiPS, which obviates the need for cover/concealment.

The rules for sniping are bad in that they assume that you'll invariably be spotted upon attacking and will then be observed, which usually precludes the normal use of hiding. In cases such as greater invisibility or with HiPS, it kinda falls apart. I've seen it done in a way that the act of attacking imposes a -20 penalty to your existing Hide, but I'm not sure where (if anywhere) that ruling is drawn from.

With HiPS (either version), being observed doesn't preclude hiding, so you you can re-hide after attacking no issue. With the better version, you don't need to have cover or concealment either; which would allow you to attack, move and hide as part of that movement afaik.