PDA

View Full Version : A General Question

Rift_Wolf
2007-10-14, 05:08 PM
Is it possible to make an Adamantine Chain, and if so what's the cost, weight, hp, hardness, strength check to burst, etc?
(I've tried working it out myself and I got confused)

Anxe
2007-10-14, 05:17 PM
Adamantite cost 400 GP per pound. This is less than mithral because one pound of mithral = two pounds of steel.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-14, 05:32 PM
A standard chain has hardness 10, 5 HP and a break DC of 26.

Iron or steel has hardness 10 and 30 HP/inch of thickness.
Adamantine has hardness 20 and 40 HP/inch of thickness.

We can see that Adamantine has 1/3 more HP per inch of thickness which is also what the Special Material description says when applied to weapons and armor.

Adamantine items do not have their weight changed.

We do not have any info on changing the break DC, but perhaps we do not need to change it at all.

The DC depends more on the construction of the item than on the material.

Considering this we get a Adamantine chain with a hardness of 20, 7 HP (rounded up from 6.666....) and a Break DC of 26.

This is just using the CORE info. A Adamantine Chain might very well be published in another book, perhaps Arms and Equipment or some adventure?

Rift_Wolf
2007-10-14, 05:45 PM
Thanks. The reason for my question was I wondered it were possible to have two immovable rods attached by an unbreakable chain. This could be used to wrap around a flying creatures neck and (seeing as if you make the strength check against immovable rods you can move then only ten feet) either break the creatures neck or at least stop it flying (10ft per round is below minimum flight speed for most maneuvrability scores). However, in Core I can't find an unbreakable chain (Not even an unbreakable diamond filament! Don't these people watch Futurama?), probably because it's game-breaking. However I wanted to know the strongest chain (ie: most unlikely to be broken by a burst check) so my noose idea could at least scupper a few griffins, or something.

martyboy74
2007-10-14, 05:52 PM
The problem with trip wires in three dimensional areas is that they're so easy to go around. Unless you can force the creature to hit them, it's not really going to work.

Rift_Wolf
2007-10-14, 06:09 PM
The problem with trip wires in three dimensional areas is that they're so easy to go around. Unless you can force the creature to hit them, it's not really going to work.

Hence I wanted to make a noose.

deadseashoals
2007-10-14, 06:29 PM
Thanks. The reason for my question was I wondered it were possible to have two immovable rods attached by an unbreakable chain. This could be used to wrap around a flying creatures neck and (seeing as if you make the strength check against immovable rods you can move then only ten feet) either break the creatures neck or at least stop it flying (10ft per round is below minimum flight speed for most maneuvrability scores). However, in Core I can't find an unbreakable chain (Not even an unbreakable diamond filament! Don't these people watch Futurama?), probably because it's game-breaking. However I wanted to know the strongest chain (ie: most unlikely to be broken by a burst check) so my noose idea could at least scupper a few griffins, or something.

Take the adamantine chain, and apply matter manipulation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/matterManipulation.htm). If you make it out of a weapon, then you can cast greater magic weapon on it for another +2 hardness per point of enhancement bonus, as well as +10 hit points per point of enhancement bonus. That chain would become nigh-unbreakable.