PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Light Cleric magic item suggestions

Zhorn
2019-09-16, 03:25 AM
Fishing for ideas and recommendations.

The party I DM for consists of; Light Cleric, Four Elements Monk, Hunter Ranger, Assassin Rogue/GoO warlock, and a Celestial Warlock.
So far the cleric is a bit light on magic items compared to the rest of the party and I would like to drop in a thing that the cleric would like, AND the party agrees would be best given to said cleric.
They do currently have access to Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Lightbringer (+1 mace, LMoP), and a mithral breastplate, but those were mostly hand-offs and doesn't suit their play style at range being the party's primary blaster-caster (healing is mostly left to the celestial warlock).

Theme of the current area is Icewind Dale / Ten Towns region, and they'll be dealing mostly with frost giants for the next couple of sessions, so bonus points if it is easy to work in story wise with that theme (not mandatory).

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-09-16, 04:04 AM
Necklace of Prayer Beads with 6 smiting beads
A wand of winter.

Can you give more information on what that character will want to use/do?

Maelynn
2019-09-16, 04:20 AM
Perhaps an item with ties to their chosen deity, that replenishes some of their Cleric spell slots after a short rest.

To determine the amount and level of the slots it's important to know what their character level is, though.

Alternatively, you could give the item some tiers that unlock at later levels for more slots. Or perhaps allow for more prepared spells.

Zhorn
2019-09-16, 04:44 AM
Can you give more information on what that character will want to use/do?
They are a bit of a shy player, so they don't tend to talk much during play outside of their turn. I've tried asking her directly but she got very quiet an hid behind her book, so not wanting to scare her away from the table I've come here to gather suggestions instead. Based purely on their play style so far, I can tell they are primarily interested in a ranged caster role as a damage dealer.

it's important to know what their character level is, though.
I think she's level 8, or at least very close to level 9 if not over the line yet.

Comaward
2019-09-16, 06:28 AM
Ranged damage dealing caster?

Well, I’ve played a light cleric. What I recommend is two things:

1. A magic item (an improved holy symbol) that allows Radiance of the Dawn to deal 3d10 + my cleric level.
Usually, it is only 2d10 + cleric level.

2. Access to Sunbeam.
Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Yes, absolutely.