PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Noobish Opinion Request: Monk Subclasses

Monk of the Sun
2019-09-16, 10:36 AM
Hey folks, I hope this is in the right area, first time poster.

In the next few weeks my DnD Group will be starting their second campaign (for most of us it's our second ever campaign) with fresh characters. It's set in Waterdeep and I have a character concept I'm playing with being an Aasimar Monk who was born in the City.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a clear opinion on the Sun-Soul monk, the Order of the Sun Soul fits into his backstory I've drafted up pretty well but from a purely mechanical approach a lot of people I chat with online seem to be trying to warn me off using the Sub-Class and instead just go for something like the Open Palm Monk. Having not played a Monk before I'm not sure how true this is?

Is the Sun Soul Monk alright for melee and ranged (as much as 30 foot is ranged) combat?

I've no idea what the rest of the party plans to play yet so unfortunately I can't use that to make an opinion.

This is just to seek opinions of more experienced players :)

Cheers!

Protolisk
2019-09-16, 11:02 AM
Monk sub-classes aren't ever bad, because they are still Monks which get neat tricks every level unlike most classes. But among sub-classes, Sun soul gets a bit of a short end of the stick.

Big issue, they can't use a simple single sun bolt as a bonus action, you have to "flurry" it. Additionally, you can't use Stunning Strike with it, as it is not a weapon attack and instead is listed as a spell attack. It's also sort of weak as it must be a d4 at early levels where others can use shot bows for ranged combat. It is radiant off the bat, however.

However, it does have some tricks that other monks wish they had: area of effect damage. It doesn't happen until level 6, but Searing Arc Strike as a bonus action can catch a good group of enemies that one or two basic attacks won't cover.

Ranged attack over all isn't great though because you ARE a monk. For other monks, the best idea is just run around. But at least you now can hit enemies hovering in the air or on the ceiling easier.

It's not a straight upgrade like Open Hand is, but it definitely has its place.

nickl_2000
2019-09-16, 11:10 AM
Sun Soul isn't the "best" choice, but it also isn't as widely panned as 4 elements.

The truth is that you are playing a monk, which gets most of it's overall power from the base class and just some extra options from the subclass. If your character idea fits into Sun Soul really well and it seems like fun to you, you will be perfectly fine going with it.

Amechra
2019-09-16, 11:25 AM
People tend to devalue range a bit too much, in my opinion. 30ft doesn't sound like much, but you're a Monk. Mobility is what you do.

Compared to a longbow (which non-Elf non-Kensei Monks don't even have proficiency in), Radiant Sun Bolt actually wins hands down on turns where you use your flurry - d4+Dex might not sound like much, but you're doing it two extra times. Bear in mind that no other Monk can flurry at range. Also, if you have to fight at range, you aren't spending ki on Stunning Strike, which means that Radiant Sun Bolt is effectively cheaper than it looks.

Is it the best subclass? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Will you suffer unduly if you pick it? Not at all.

Protolisk
2019-09-16, 11:39 AM
Compared to a longbow (which non-Elf non-Kensei Monks don't even have proficiency in), Radiant Sun Bolt actually wins hands down on turns where you use your flurry - d4+Dex might not sound like much, but you're doing it two extra times. Bear in mind that no other Monk can flurry at range. Also, if you have to fight at range, you aren't spending ki on Stunning Strike, which means that Radiant Sun Bolt is effectively cheaper than it looks.

Is it the best subclass? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Will you suffer unduly if you pick it? Not at all.

Exactly. It's not bad, and at low levels it challenges Kensei monks for ranged damage really well. Basically, don't expect to use Stunning Strike, and instead use it for damage and AoE. But if you DO use Stunning Strike it indirectly buffs Searcing Arc as it needs a Dex save (which Stunned enemies auto-fail). Fire damage, so be mindful of resistances. This doesn't extend to Searing Sunburst, which uses Con saves and success on the save means no damage, BUT it can be used for free and has that 150 foot range, with radiant damage again. Resource-free AoE damage is something virtually no class has access to. You can buff it with ki points too.

Open hands are the "Monk-est monks". Sun Soul monks are "But what if I did things other monks basically can't do?" Your monk parts aren't upgraded as easily as Open Hand or Drunken monks, but you have more options.

Slybluedemon
2019-09-16, 11:39 AM
I'm a newer DM and one of my players played a Sun Soul monk. They are great. They are monks with all the bells and whistles but you get ranged options and the ranged option is always with you. Loved that the player could say "Screw you, I can hit you at range as well"

Monk of the Sun
2019-09-16, 12:51 PM
Thank you for all of the great replies guys, I really appreciate it. I think I had a worry that I was misunderstanding something and by going Sun Soul I'd somehow lose the ability to Martial Arts it up whenever I want or need to.

I love the idea of monastic religious orders and the Sun Soul was the one that was most appealing to me so thank you all for allying my noobish fears!