PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer Origin Spells (As-inspired by the Aberrant Mind)

Giegue
2019-09-16, 11:58 AM
As the title says. With the Abberant Mind sorcerer getting access to a list of bonus spells that makes it clearly stronger than any other origin, I took it upon myself to make a similar list of spell(s) for each origin we already have, to make them on par with abberant sorcerers. If your allowing abberant mind sorcerers at your table, I highly suggest also allowing these houserule addition to the exsisting origins, to make them on par with abberant minds. Anyway, with all that out of the way, I give you my Sorcerers Origin Spells

If using this hosuerule, add the following feature to the Dragonic Sorcerer Origin as a 1st level feature:

Draconic Magic

You gain access to bonus spells tied to your Dragon Ancestor (as-per your Dragon Ancestor feature). At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels, you gain the spells for your dragon ancestor of those levels as bonus spells known. For you, these spells count as Sorcerer spells, and do not count against your maximum number of spells known (as per-the spells known column of the Sorcerer table). The spells for each Draconic ancestor are listed below:

Red Dragon

1st: Cause Fear, Chromatic Orb
3rd: Dragon Breath, Suggestion
5th: Fireball, Fly
7th: Elemental Bane, Wall of Fire
9th: Dominate Person, Immolation

Blue Dragon

5th: Fly, Lightning Bolt
7th: Elemental Bane, Storm Sphere
9th: Control Winds, Dominate Person

Green Dragon

5th: Stinking Cloud, Fly
7th: Blight, Elemental Bane
9th: Cloudkill, Dominate Person

Black Dragon

5th: Fly, Vampiric Touch
7th: Elemental Bane, Vitriolic Sphere
9th: Dominate Person, Enervation

White Dragon

5th: Fly, Sleet Storm
7th: Elemental Bane, Ice Storm
9th: Cone of Cold, Dominate Person

Gold Dragon

3rd: Dragon Breath, Ray of Enfeeblement
9th: Geas, Immolation

Silver Dragon

3rd: Dragon Breath, Hold Person
5th: Fly, Sleet Storm
7th: Elemental Bane, Ice Storm
9th: Cone of Cold, Hold Monster

Copper Dragon

3rd: Dragon Breath, Melf's Acid Arrow
5th: Fly, Slow
7th: Elemental Bane, Vitriolic Sphere
9th: Geas, Skill Empowerment (Charisma Skills Only)

Bronze Dragon

1st: Chromatic Orb, Thunderwave
3rd: Dragon Breath, Warding Wind
5th: Fly, Lightning Bolt
9th: Control Winds, Geas

Brass Dragon

1st: Chromatic Orb, Sleep
3rd: Dragon Breath, Scorching Ray
9th: Geas, Immolation

If using this houserule, add the following feature to the Wild Magic Sorcerer Origin as a 1st level feature:

Chaotic Spells

You gain access to bonus spells that allow you to harness and exploit the primal chaos of the multiverse. At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels, you gain the chaotic spells for those levels as bonus spells known. For you, these spells count as Sorcerer spells, and do not count against your maximum number of spells known (as per-the spells known column of the Sorcerer table) The chaotic spells you gain are listed below:

1st: Chaos Bolt, Color Spray
3rd: Enlarge/Reduce, Mirror Image
5th: Blink, Haste
7th: Polymorph, Dimension Door
9th: Animate Objects, Mislead

If using this houserule, add the following feature to the Divine Soul Sorcerer Origin as a 1st level feature:

Affinity Spells

You gain access to bonus spells that draw on the power of your divine magic affinity (as-per your Divine Magic feature). At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels, you gain the spells for your affinity of those levels as bonus spells known. For you, these spells count as Sorcerer spells and do not count against your maximum number of spells known (as per-the spells known column of the Sorcerer table). These spells also replace the single bonus spell known you would normally gain from your Divine Magic feature. The spells for each affinity are listed below:

Good Affinity

1st: Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt
3rd: Consecrate*, Lesser Restoration
5th: Aura of Vitality, Revivify
7th: Aura of Purity, Death Ward
9th: Greater Restoration, Mass Cure Wounds

Evil Affinity

1st: Inflict Wounds, Hex
3rd: Crown of Madness, Desecrate*
5th: Animate Dead, Bestow Curse
7th: Evard’s Black Tentacles, Shadow of Moil
9th: Dominate Person, Negative Energy Flood

Law Affinity

1st: Bless, Command
3rd: Aid, Hold Person
5th: Counterspell, Dispel Magic
7th: Guardian of Faith, Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere
9th: Geas, Hold Monster

Chaos Affinity

1st: Bane, Chaos Bolt
3rd: Alter Self, Enlarge/Reduce
5th: Blink, Haste
7th: Confusion, Polymorph
9th: Animate Objects, Mislead

* Consecrate
2nd level Evocation
Classes: Cleric, Paladin, Warlock (Celestial Patron only)
Casting time: 1 hour
Range: Personal
Duration: Until dispelled
Components: V. S, M (a holy symbol of a good deity or other artifact worth at least 25 gp, which is consumed as a part of the spell’s casting)

You perform a sacred ritual that fills a 30ft raidus area of terrain centered on you with holy power, causing it to become consecrated. Any creature that dies within the consecrated terrain, and any corpse or bone pile buried there, cannot be turned into an undead creature. Additionally, any non-evil living creature that completes a short rest within that consecrated terrain regains additional hit points equal to 1d10 + your Spellcasting ability modifier. This spell can be dispelled by casting a Desscrate or Hallow spell on this consecrated terrain.

Desecrate
2nd level Necromancy
Classes: Cleric, Warlock, Paladin (Oathbreaker only)
Casting time: 1 hour
Range: Personal
Duration: Until dispelled
Components: V. S, M (a holy symbol of an evil deity or other artifact worth at least 25 gp, which is consumed as a part of the spell’s casting)

You perform a vile ritual that taints a 30ft raidus area of terrain centered on you with unholy power, causing it to become desecrated. Any creature that dies within this desecrated terrain, or any corpse or bone pile buried there, rises as an uncontrolled skeleton or zombie (as-applicable) within 1d4 days. These skeletons and zombies have indifferent dispositions towards evil creatures, but are hostile to all other creatures and will typically leave the desecrated area to terrorize and kill living creatures after rising. Additionally, any undead creatures you create within the desecrated terrain (such those you create with an Animate Dead or Create Undead spell) increase their hit point maximums by your level, and add 1d4 bonus necrotic damage to their weapon attacks. This spell can be dispelled by casting a Consecrate or Hallow spell on this desecrated terrain.

If using this houserule, add the following feature to the Shadow Magic Sorcerer Origin as a 1st level feature:

Fell Arcana Spells

You gain access to bonus spells that allow you to harness the fell energies swelling within you. At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels, you gain the fell arcana spells for those levels as spells known. For you, these spells count as Sorcerer spells and do not count against your maximum number of spells known (as per-the spells known column of the Sorcerer table). These spells also replace the Darkness spell you would gain from your Eyes of the Dark Feature. The Darkness spell granted by this feature is treated as being the Darkness spell granted by your Eyes of the Dark feature for its effects. The fell arcana spells you gain are listed below:

1st: Cause Fear, False Life
3rd: Blindness/Deafness, Darkness
5th: Fear, Summon Shadowspawn
7th: Evard’s Black Tentacles, Shadow of Moil
9th: Dance Macabre, Enervation

If using this houserule, add the following feature to the Storm Sorcery Sorcerer Origin as a 1st level feature:

Tempestuous Spells

You gain access to bonus spells that allow you to harness the primal power of wind, rain, thunder, and lightning. At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels, you gain the tempestuous spells for those levels as spells known. For you, these spells count as Sorcerer spells, and do not count against your maximum number of spells known (as per-the spells known column of the Sorcerer table). The tempestuous spells you gain are listed below:

1st: Fog Cloud, Thunderwave
3rd: Gust of Wind, Warding Wind
5th: Call Lightning, Thunder Step
9th: Control Winds, Wrath of Nature

sleepyhead
2019-09-16, 12:06 PM
Love it. Really wish this was in the game in the first place since 5e came out.

Giegue
2019-09-16, 04:55 PM
Thanks! I edited the spell lists a bit, to make them a bit more viable while also staying on theme. Mainly the Divine Soul and Wild Magic spell lists have been altered a fair bit. I swapped out slow for haste on the Wild Magic list to make it a more tempting pick as a origin due to being fairly unpopular due to the risk it carries. I also altered the Divine Soul affinity spell lists to now all get some baseline healing spells (Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, Mass Healing Word, and Death Ward) along with a handful of "on-theme" spells for the alignments, to go with the 6th level healing focused feature of the divine soul and cement it as the "healer sorc" subclass.

Good affinity doubles down on healing while also adding in a small handful of "holy radiance" type attack spells in the form of Guiding Bolt and Flame Strike. Evil affinity meanwhile adds minion-mastery to its healing suite, picking up spells to both raise and empower undead, and summon fiends to do their bidding. Law affinity pairs its healing with spells focused on halting, containing, and controlling both creatures and magic (in the form of counterspell), while the chaos affinity pairs its healing with some spells that are simmilar to the chaotic spells of the wild magic sorcerer, as well as a few picks of its own (mainly, confusion) Finally, Shadow's fell arcana spells have been updated to include the new level 1 temporary undead animation spell that evil affinity divine souls also get, and now has been given inflict wounds instead of false life (so they can have a "free" 1st level attack spell) shadow blade instead of blindness/deafness at 2nd level, since desecrate now becomes a useful spell for them when they get it at 2nd due to the new custom 1st level spell they get. Anyway, more comments on this are always welcome!

Edge
2019-09-16, 07:27 PM
I'd say the Divine Soul lists are far too heavy on healing. A sorcerer origin shouldn't shoehorn you into that. If you want to be a healer, you can pick up the relevant spells from the cleric list already. It also makes the alignment lists far too similar. I'd either replace the healing spells from the lists completely, only leave some of them on the Good list, or take another approach completely and let Divine Souls pick a cleric domain and gain its domain spells.

Giegue
2019-09-16, 07:38 PM
The 6th level feature of the subclass already forces them into healing, so thats kind of why I went the route I did. If your not taking some healing on a divine soul, then the 6th level feature becomes dead weight, hence why I decided to give them healing instead of forcing them to spend precious known spells on it. However, if you really think its that much of an issue I can go back to the original divine soul lists, which instead had the only consistent spells between them being spirit guardians and spiritual weapon, which are enough to make each list feel "divine" (which was kind of a goal) but not enough to shoehorn them into a specific role since those spells are just generally good and can work on a number of builds, since pretty much any build would enjoy having that combo, healer, offensive, or otherwise.

Conversly, an easy way to fix the issue with divine souls is to basicly have another houserule that swaps the 6th level feature for a different one based on affinity choice, which could be an interesting way to fix the problem (I.E. good affinity keeps the heal boost feature, while evil feature say gets to spend sorcery points to allow animate dead to raise more undead with a single cast, lawful gets to twice per short or long rest channel divinity to increase the save DC of one of its affinity spells by 2, and Chaos affinity maybe gets to once per short or long rest roll on the wild magic table to give a creature disadvantage on a saving throw it makes against any spell it casts, not just affinity spells.)

Edge
2019-09-16, 09:18 PM
The 6th level feature of the subclass already forces them into healing, so thats kind of why I went the route I did. If your not taking some healing on a divine soul, then the 6th level feature becomes dead weight, hence why I decided to give them healing instead of forcing them to spend precious known spells on it. However, if you really think its that much of an issue I can go back to the original divine soul lists, which instead had the only consistent spells between them being spirit guardians and spiritual weapon, which are enough to make each list feel "divine" (which was kind of a goal) but not enough to shoehorn them into a specific role since those spells are just generally good and can work on a number of builds, since pretty much any build would enjoy having that combo, healer, offensive, or otherwise.

Empowered Healing really only becomes dead weight if you have no healers in the party at all. And given how 5e combat and death works, a Divine Soul could get plenty of mileage out of it themselves with just healing word and prayer of healing. I can understand the concern, though, and the alternate features you suggest look like interesting replacements!