PDA

View Full Version : Capture Scarf? Weapon Design Help!

SMac8988
2019-09-16, 01:37 PM
Hello all. I am going to be joining a game soon and was wondering if I could get some help with a pseudo weapon design. My goal right now is the overly heroic monk, who though young has a strong sense of JUSTICE. I'll also be multi classing Paladin but I digress.

The goal is his wears the scarf of his previous master, which he uses to partial conceal his identity while fighting for JUSTICE, and I got approve from my DM to try and turn it into a homebrewed pseudo weapon.

My idea would be he wraps his arms in it during the fight, like traditional hand wraps, but can use them like Capture Cloth similar to Shota Aizawa from My Hero.

Just wondering the fine people of the Playgrounds idea of how to work this? Would it simply be advantage on "grappling" once their wrapped? Or would their be more to it?

Crgaston
2019-09-16, 06:48 PM
Sweet idea.

I'd probably say:
If you make a successful grapple while using the scarf, the target has disadvantage to break the grapple on subsequent attempts. You can use your Attack action on another turn to attempt another grapple check. If this check succeeds, the target is Restrained.

So, Grapple as normal, but it's harder for the target to break free. Then you can forego your entire Attack action to restrain, but you can still Martial Arts/Flurry with your Bonus Action.

Nidgit
2019-09-16, 07:12 PM
Are you intending for it to do any extra damage when wrapped around the hands or just to store it there? This sounds like basically just making the net a monk weapon, but with strengthening the DC.

I'd allow you to grapple at a range of up to 15 feet as an action and allow you to contest the enemy's attempt to break the grapple with your Acrobatics instead of Athletics.

opaopajr
2019-09-17, 12:59 AM
Hmm, use Whip as a template, add Grapple feature as a special keyword, use Object AC (Cloth, so AC 11) & HP (small and resilient (assuming silk) so (3d6) 10 HP slash dmg)?

Or you could use Net as a template instead, if you are not wanting it to deal any damage. This way instead of Grapple it does Restrained. Then ask if you can use the new Object AC & HP stats than the Net (Net AC 10, HP 5 slash dmg). A glorified and sentimental Net is probably easier to excuse into a campaign. :smallsmile:

Sensei's Capture Scarf. -- special: Restrained, escape DC 11 STR or 10 slash dmg vs. AC 11.

Either way might want to find a friend who can cast Mending in the future, tho. :smallwink:

SMac8988
2019-09-18, 08:16 AM
We were discussing it being lined with wires or something to make it more durable the just clothes but still have a cloth idea.

I love the idea of restraining being a big aspect, and the reach since he could whip it out. I didnt think of the Net being a good bases.

And ya the wrapping the arms is mainly to story it. When not in a fight he wears the scarf and has his hair down to hide who he is, since he is royalty but doesnt want to be. So when he goes here mode he undoes it all so he can fight quick.

Thank you all for the help so far