PDA

View Full Version : Bard multi-class into Warlock

Sirion8288
2019-09-16, 01:51 PM
Hey all. I am looking for some advice in regard to multi-classing my changeling lv 6 bard into a warlock. They seem to go hand in hand due to their shared Charisma casting modifier. Quick tertiary information that might be important... In my party we have a Valor Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer, Rogue, and Fighter. So I am not even sure if multi-classing into Warlock would be helpful for the group as we already have a lot of DPS. Right now, I am the CORE support. Maybe I should stick with 100% Bard and continue with focusing on support (I basically have gone HARD control support). However, and this is something I have talked with the DM, having a patron from the "The Abyssal Plane of Horrors" would fit my character's background perfectly, as my character is apparently an offspring of some entity from there. The DM did tell me that even if I don't multi class, he will still make sure the story connects.

So, here are my questions...Should I should even multi class or just stick with Bard levels (again, I am the CORE support). If I do multi-class into warlock, when should I do so? I am currently a lv 6 bard, should I start next level of hold up? If I do multi-class into warlock, how far? I have read forums that state just go two levels into warlock so you can get Agonizing Blast. Part of me figures just do another level for the Book of Ancient Secrets (way better than Ritualistic Caster feat, something I had planned on getting for my Bard down the road). But if I go 3 levels into Warlock, I figure why not just do one more level for another feat. However, 4 levels into warlock seems like a lot, as every level into warlock slows down me from getting the Magical Secrets from the Bard.

I have been debating about this for a while. Any thoughts about the pros/cons or etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

nickl_2000
2019-09-16, 02:25 PM
You have lots and lots of damage that the rest of the party is dropping, you really don't need to be doing it yourself with a level dip. On the other hand, continuing your spell progression is going to make a huge difference as you continue to level up. If it were me in that party I would stick with Bard all the way.

Sirion8288
2019-09-16, 03:08 PM
You have lots and lots of damage that the rest of the party is dropping, you really don't need to be doing it yourself with a level dip. On the other hand, continuing your spell progression is going to make a huge difference as you continue to level up. If it were me in that party I would stick with Bard all the way.

And that is exactly my concern. While multi-classing would fit thematically and add me more variety of spells...it would simply add more DPS variety, which we don't need more of. We need more control/support, counter spells and etc, things that I would only get if I stick with the BARD leveling, especially since we don't have much healing.

Magicspook
2019-09-16, 03:42 PM
What you feel like doing > the story >>> 'party balance'

You are playing the game to have fun, not to win an international competition, right? Regardless of your team composition, you'll pull through. Just do what feels right to you.

Sirion8288
2019-09-16, 09:25 PM
What you feel like doing > the story >>> 'party balance'

You are playing the game to have fun, not to win an international competition, right? Regardless of your team composition, you'll pull through. Just do what feels right to you.

Lol, that is the truth. And I am all about the role play versus the "grind" or "battle." For me, it's about the process...hmmmmm....damnet lol.

darknite
2019-09-16, 09:35 PM
If you're support and you want to multiclass, I'd go with Sorcerer. Helps build your spell slots by combining levels and you can get some nice things like Twinned Haste going if you get to Sorc 5. Your team mates will thank you.