PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.P Wiz Necro off list spell help

Glarnog
2019-09-16, 02:37 PM
My Necro Wiz just turned 4th. As a boon I can pick a 1st and a 2nd level spell from any list and also going forward at every new level. While it's mostly Pathfinder, the DM would probably allow any d20 source. I assume for off lists spells he'll allow the use of int as casting stat. I'm quite over whelmed at the many potential sources for options. I've never played a necro before, I picked the Undead Master type. Also Sin magic necro. Which he doesn't allow to stack with specializing in necromancy, but the opposition schools just cost double slots instead of being completely impossible. So definitely picking up Desecrate. I would love some advice on other spells. Especially planning for the future. I'm looking forward to having some undead minions. I've mostly been building towards minionmancy.

Thanks.

Biggus
2019-09-16, 05:35 PM
General of Undeath (SpC) seems made for you. Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive Field (also SpC) provide handy ways to create fresh corpses while buffing yourself (they can be brokenly good, especially if Persisted though so are often banned).

EDIT: a few other thoughts: Greater Visage of the Deity (SpC) gives a +4 untyped bonus to Int (among many other effects), Sign (SpC) gives a +4 untyped bonus to initiative, and Primal Instinct (DM) gives a +5 competence bonus to initiative so are all very handy for Wizards generally

Malphegor
2019-09-17, 07:19 AM
might be worth you picking up these spells eventually: command undead, dominate animal, person, or monster (depending on type of creature), false life, and feeblemind spells.

Why? Living Zombie template from Champions of Ruin. You can get your spellcasting modifier number of them, your lifespan is increased (you age half the time they spend existing, so if one spends a day existing, you only age half a day. This is multiplicative so this results in you living centuries easily with little effort)

(Also they function as zombies in terms of them obeying you and being unable to cast spells but don't show up as such as they are living beings with the augmented subtype if one was to detect undead or whatever.)

Plus they're all pretty good spells all around to have to hand tbh.

Also might allow you to command creatures that normal undead methods won't let you do- for example things with too high HD for normal undeath to hold them.