View Full Version : MD Ranger/Fighter MC

ZorroGames
2019-09-16, 04:54 PM
Not played this yet but have two possible designs:

BLUF feedback requested.

Design A is a riff off PeteNutButters VHuman Build of

10-16-14-8-16-8

Using (N) for points.

Mine 10 (0+2) - 15 (9) - 17 (9+2) - 8 (0) - 15 (9) - 8 (0)

Lots of odd numbers plus looking for DE and WI boost, SS and some kind of CO boost. So by Gloomstalker 5/Battlemaster 4 you could have basically the 10-16-17–8-16-8 PC needing that con boost at Ranger 8.

Or...

A Melee version of:

16-13-16-11-13-8 with 13s needed for MC and an odd IN 😱

(7+2) (5) (7+2) (3) (5) (0) in terms of point build.

IN and CH can switch but meh.

Looking at Gloomstalker 5+/Fighter 4 Battlemaster:

Boost DE and WI at Ranger 4 after SS at Fighter 4 or leave you the three odd stats and push the ST/CO high as possible as fast as possible?

Gloomstalker 12/Fighter 4 would be 20-13-20-11-13-8 leaving room to boost a pair of +1 stats or add a feat? Seems like an odd (pun intended) Build though.

Anyway, comment away.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-16, 10:13 PM
What's the goal of this character?

Why are you multiclassing? Is it the mechanics?

Are you ok with alternate classes that do this better? Or does it have to be these two?

For a str melee, just do a Strength based V Human Ranger that has Heavily Armored as their feat. Take Gloom Stalker if you want... But I prefer Monster Slayer.

Str: 16 (+1 R, +1 feat)
Dex: 12
Con: 14 (+1 R)
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

Fighting Style: Dueling

AC: 18 (armor + shield)

Feat @ level 4: Any? +2 Str? I like shield master but I would def look at Dungeon Delver too as that feat is amazing. Alert for shore up your initiative.

ZorroGames
2019-09-17, 07:33 AM
Spawn,

I Play MD for flavor because I have enjoyed Dwarf characters since 0D&D in gaming and before in fantasy stories. MD is just a personal choice.

Given that I like to play MC PCs just to have “options” and I really wish Ranger was more Martial like AD&D/1st+2nd I went up purposefully to make a Martial MD Ranger MC.

V Human can be fun but prefer MD PCs 90+% of the time.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-17, 09:43 AM
Spawn,

I Play MD for flavor because I have enjoyed Dwarf characters since 0D&D in gaming and before in fantasy stories. MD is just a personal choice.

Given that I like to play MC PCs just to have “options” and I really wish Ranger was more Martial like AD&D/1st+2nd I went up purposefully to make a Martial MD Ranger MC.

V Human can be fun but prefer MD PCs 90+% of the time.

And here I was thinking MD meant you was taking the Medicine skill.

5e is the worst edition of WotC D&D for martial characters, even the BM Fighter is rather bland compared to the other editions.

If you want options you need to stay single class for the most part or else you will definitely be losing out on features.

Also, multiclassing two similar classes isn't a great idea, I would definitely pick one or the other and then suppliment via feats.

Mountain Dwarf Strength Based Ranger with shield master at level 4 gives you an at-will (after you take the attack action) shove (push/shove) or Tavern Brawler gives you a bonus action grapple (ask your DM what constitutes as a finess improvised weapon... My bet a fork would do). You could also grab Sentinel for some lock down. Dwarven Fortitude or Squat Nimbleness would be great for a bit of fun.

On a dwarf, I love Dwarven Fortitude... Dodge action is a criminally underrated action and being able to heal when using it can be very helpful.

Martial Adept ain't really worth it... But 1/rest you get some maneuvers... That aren't all that great.

@ level 1

Str: 16, Dex: 14, Con: 15, Int: 12, Wis: 12, Cha: 8

AC: 18 (armor + shield)

Shield Master would def be the way to go as you get to shove creatures around but it really depends on your campaign.

Alao, Rogue would do rather well with the dwarf.