PDA

View Full Version : A group situation

Railak
2019-09-16, 07:29 PM
So me and my friends, we've been playing D&D for years. Like 12 years or something like that. The main group over the years has basically been my friend my brother and me, there has always been others, but they come in and out of the group rather infrequently.
Currently my little brother hasn't been joining us because his gf doesn't like one of the players. (That's not the situation, I've got a plan for that.)
The rest of the group is comprised of;
Calvin the one who I've been playing with for years. Over the years we've taken turns DMing, though for the last 6 years he hasn't DMed a single campaign. And basically won't even try coming up with a campaign, I've asked him about it.
Diazo a long time good friend, he's recently joined the group as another DM/player. He's inexperienced as a DM and it shows, I help best I can. He's the one that my brother's gf doesn't like, he made a rather bad DM decision that didn't sit well.
Sieco, another good friend, he's been in and out if the group frequently because he's changed jobs a lot, and or his hours change.
And there's Clancy, a new player to the table, he doesn't really know what he's doing, but we've been helping him.

So campaign wise I've run 90% of the campaigns in the last 12 years. Calvin has run a few, and Diazo is running his second ever campaign. Diazo's campaign takes place every other week, he hangs with another friend the other week, it's kinda a shared custody thing. Well the only problem is if game doesn't happen for some reason it will be two weeks til the next time. On the other weeks, and the weeks he's not around I've been trying to keep game going, but I'm burned out as a DM from doing it for pretty much 12 years straight, with small breaks here and there. Because I'm so burned out my campaigns have really suffered, and it leaves the players doing nothing but complaining about how boring my games are.
The problem is no one else will step up to DM, and relying on only playing Diazo's campaign "can" have us playing only once in a three month stretch, it's happened once already.

I don't know what to do..

(On a side note, all names have been changed for protection of privacy. The names I gave them are their most used character names.)

pabelfly
2019-09-16, 07:36 PM
Start by talking to the group. You've spent twelve years DMing, you feel kind of burnt out, and you just want to spend some time playing instead. You're happy to help teach anyone interested in becoming a DM, but if no-one steps up, you'll have to settle for playing DnD every second week.

DodermanDefense
2019-09-17, 07:39 AM
Might be time for you guys turn to the internet and/or your local gaming store. Seems to me your group could benefit from a breath of fresh Air. New DM, maybe a new player or 2 or even a new play spot.
In regards to feeling burned out, maybe it's time to turn to pre-written dungeon/adventure modules. If I had to guess i'd say there's probably a bazillion of them out there, surely there are a few that will work for you.
Hope this helps. Best of luck!