PDA

View Full Version : Hellfire Lazer pistol and rifle, WTF?

8wGremlin
2019-09-16, 11:44 PM
Just saw this https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/baldurs-gate-descent-into-avernus

and the purchase options say that you can get Hellfire Laser Pistol and Hellfire Laser Rifle
as well as assault rifles, shotguns etc...

Anyone know anything more, stats etc?

JackPhoenix
2019-09-16, 11:49 PM
Looking at the list, the adventure likely presents new "hellfire weapon" magic item available as any weapon type, and D&D Beyond lists every weapon type from PHB and DMG as separate purchase option.

jaappleton
2019-09-17, 06:06 AM
Looking at the list, the adventure likely presents new "hellfire weapon" magic item available as any weapon type, and D&D Beyond lists every weapon type from PHB and DMG as separate purchase option.

This is correct.

Similarly to how they handle blanket weapon typed. Hellfire, Vicious, etc. Any magical weapon enchantment that can be applied to every weapon, they create a new weapon of each and every type with that enchantment.

There are no actual Hellfire Shotguns in the adventure, though....

....which seems like a missed opportunity. I wanted to be Doomguy.

No brains
2019-09-17, 09:00 AM
This is correct.

Similarly to how they handle blanket weapon typed. Hellfire, Vicious, etc. Any magical weapon enchantment that can be applied to every weapon, they create a new weapon of each and every type with that enchantment.

There are no actual Hellfire Shotguns in the adventure, though....

....which seems like a missed opportunity. I wanted to be Doomguy.

Doomguy would just get confused in D&D. He'd be in hell, but he'd be fighting devils instead of demons. Then he'd only be able to listen to speed metal 6 seconds at a time. Even the fastest speedrun of the first level lets him listen to 8 seconds of music.

Nagog
2019-09-17, 09:35 AM
Doomguy would just get confused in D&D. He'd be in hell, but he'd be fighting devils instead of demons. Then he'd only be able to listen to speed metal 6 seconds at a time. Even the fastest speedrun of the first level lets him listen to 8 seconds of music.

Something tells me Doomguy could finish a combat encounter in one round, allowing him to roll another initiative and start his next turn right away. He's Doomguy.

That said, does this mean that Doomguy is a Speed Metal Bard/Barbarian?

Protolisk
2019-09-17, 09:43 AM
That said, does this mean that Doomguy is a Speed Metal Bard/Barbarian?

Something tells me he himself is not a bard, but someone once enchanted him with the Aura of Theme Music and now heavy metal follows him where ever he goes.

Otherwise, he's some mad combination of Barbarian and Battle Master using every weapon possible to brutal effect.

JackPhoenix
2019-09-17, 10:32 AM
Doomguy is just a regular space marine with pet bunny. Propably ranged fighter. He's not the same person as Doomslayer (https://mfov.magehandpress.com/2018/06/doomslayer.html)

IsaacsAlterEgo
2019-09-17, 11:04 AM
Doomguy is just a regular space marine with pet bunny. Propably ranged fighter. He's not the same person as Doomslayer (https://mfov.magehandpress.com/2018/06/doomslayer.html)

Theres a lot of hints out there that the Slayer is in fact the same marine from Doom 1/2. The bunny even shows up in some of the promos for the new game!

Anyway, back on topic. Are the guns a default part of the adventure or an "optional rule" like how firearms are in the DMG? I absolutely love guns and wish they were a default part of the 5E setting so is this a good book to buy if I want a way to sneakily play a firearm character without having to worry about a DM allowing optional stuff?

JackPhoenix
2019-09-17, 11:09 AM
Anyway, back on topic. Are the guns a default part of the adventure or an "optional rule" like how firearms are in the DMG? I absolutely love guns and wish they were a default part of the 5E setting so is this a good book to buy if I want a way to sneakily play a firearm character without having to worry about a DM allowing optional stuff?

I doubt there are any guns in the adventure. It's generic magic weapon, and firearm and sci-fi weapon options are a relic of how dndbeyond handle that sort of thing. You may get a hellfire crossbow, or hellfire sword, or something.

IsaacsAlterEgo
2019-09-17, 11:13 AM
I doubt there are any guns in the adventure. It's generic magic weapon, and firearm and sci-fi weapon options are a relic of how dndbeyond handle that sort of thing. You may get a hellfire crossbow, or hellfire sword, or something.

Oh, I see. I drastically misunderstood and got all excited. Darn. Well, Dragonheist had a pistol, right? Maybe there will be some kind of demonic equivalent to that.

GlenSmash!
2019-09-17, 11:52 AM

I feel like the Doomslayer (or Doomguy I don't care about nuance in Doom games anyway) would be confused for a full duration-less instant then adapt to the situation by killing anything that tried to kill him.

And that is why I'll always love playing barbarians.

Sigreid
2019-09-17, 12:03 PM

Even in a D&D world I doubt most people would know or care about the distinction. Especially when they're just evil beings bent on your destruction.

No brains
2019-09-17, 01:34 PM
Can you even BE Doomguy without circle-strafing at 50mph? Even if you had a super shotgun, it's just not going to be the same unless you can strafe diagonally into a cacodemon past its fireballs. No gun, no cacodemons, no movement, this is sadder than the dead bunny.

I suppose from a Monster-design perspective, Doomguy could have like 12 legendary, lair, and regional, and re-actions each to match the inputs available. Most of them just being 'Doomguy moves his speed.'

If Doomguy is real, maybe the Blood War is the result of friendly fire resulting from demons and devils trying to dogpile Doomguy. Perhaps he's still out there, chaining glory kills and rocket-jumping to priority enemies.

As for nuances of Doom, I agree that he's totally Doomguy and not this newfangled 'Doom Slayer' business. Though it's worth looking into other nuances of doom from production to execution. There's a lot of interesting stuff in there no specifically related to gibbing demons.

What I really want is a hellfire zortcher so I can be Chexguy.:smalltongue:

Sigreid
2019-09-17, 06:01 PM
So I've looked at the hellfire designation, it's not that helpful for winning a fight.

GlenSmash!
2019-09-17, 06:07 PM
So I've looked at the hellfire designation, it's not that helpful for winning a fight.

Yup. It's plot fodder.

No brains
2019-09-19, 04:49 PM
I remembered an interesting bit of lore regarding DOOM and D&D: That the Cacodemon is literally the face of the Astral Dreadnought. I guess Doomguy could find something for him in D&D; a familiar face in need of bullets.