PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Drow Wizard 8lvl +psion? Help me optimise...

Dshanaur
2019-09-17, 06:40 AM
So basicly my DM gave my 8lvl drow wizard a feat of Wild Talent after meeting some old elven dudes and communicating with them via telepathy.
I'm wondering if I can make something cool out of that or is it useless and don't worth my xp and level progression?

Note that my DM uses only official rulebooks and do not like dragon magazines
Probably will allow me to use Complete Arcana and Complete Psionic and maaaybe something intresting from som other book

Quentinas
2019-09-17, 07:00 AM
So you are LEP 10? Or LA buyoff is permitted? Where you thinking to do some prestige class with your wizard? With wild talent you can qualify for psionic feat so maybe a psycristal can be good If LA buyoff is permitted you could think about doing a cerebremancer doing this for example
wizard 8/erudite 3 / cerebremancer 9 but probably you would have to face multiclass penalty to experience ( i don't remember favored class of drow) Other interesting that i don't know

Dshanaur
2019-09-17, 07:20 AM
So you are LEP 10? Or LA buyoff is permitted? Where you thinking to do some prestige class with your wizard? With wild talent you can qualify for psionic feat so maybe a psycristal can be good If LA buyoff is permitted you could think about doing a cerebremancer doing this for example
wizard 8/erudite 3 / cerebremancer 9 but probably you would have to face multiclass penalty to experience ( i don't remember favored class of drow) Other interesting that i don't know

If I understand LA buyoff is permited and my character already reduced his LA to +0
I thought about cerebremancer, but isn't he from some dragon magazine and not WoC rulebook?
Favored classes are cleric for women and wizard for male. & my pc is a male!

I'm sorry if I'm being stupid btw, I'm pretty new to dnd

Mordante
2019-09-17, 07:32 AM
So you are LEP 10? Or LA buyoff is permitted?

How does buy off work?

In the game I play, and where I recently took over as GM for a side quest we never use XP. After a while at the end of a story arc we just say. You all level up.

Reason why I'm asking this is because the current campaign is coming to an end I think/hope. We're all lvl 16 and I think our character should retire between now and level 18. For my new character, I'm looking at Cat Folk LA+1, a Bard3/Fighter1. Level 4 sounds like a good starting level.

Quentinas
2019-09-17, 08:21 AM
If I understand LA buyoff is permited and my character already reduced his LA to +0
I thought about cerebremancer, but isn't he from some dragon magazine and not WoC rulebook?
Favored classes are cleric for women and wizard for male. & my pc is a male!

I'm sorry if I'm being stupid btw, I'm pretty new to dnd

No Cerebremancer is from Expanded Psionic Handbook which is the base manual for psionic in d&d 3.5 (complete psionic come later) and with LA+0 you can do cerebremancer if you want, thanks to your favored class . It can be funny but you will gain level 9 spell later , and probably it would result weaker than a wizard with the incantatrix Prestige Class. So if you want to optimize i would take at maximum a psycristal and take a strong prestige class like the incantatrix, if you want to have some psionic power for your character i would use cerebremancer

How does buy off work?

In the game I play, and where I recently took over as GM for a side quest we never use XP. After a while at the end of a story arc we just say. You all level up.

Reason why I'm asking this is because the current campaign is coming to an end I think/hope. We're all lvl 16 and I think our character should retire between now and level 18. For my new character, I'm looking at Cat Folk LA+1, a Bard3/Fighter1. Level 4 sounds like a good starting level.

From what i know there are two LA buyoff options one from Player guide to faerun (page 190) , and one from Unearthed arcana (page 18-19). The one from Unearthed arcana basically permit to use experience points at some level to reduce the LA of 1 , and it can be repeated until it arrives to 0 . The one from Player guide to faerun on the other hand is used for the race at the beginning with LA (giving them a malus same of the LA to various abilities and reducing that instead of gaining a level) In your case with Unearthed Arcana system you could buy off the LA from level 3

Dshanaur
2019-09-17, 08:45 AM
No Cerebremancer is from Expanded Psionic Handbook which is the base manual for psionic in d&d 3.5 (complete psionic come later) and with LA+0 you can do cerebremancer if you want, thanks to your favored class . It can be funny but you will gain level 9 spell later , and probably it would result weaker than a wizard with the incantatrix Prestige Class. So if you want to optimize i would take at maximum a psycristal and take a strong prestige class like the incantatrix, if you want to have some psionic power for your character i would use cerebremancer

Ok, got ya! Thank you!