PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Interesting Challenge from MrRhexx

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-17, 08:31 AM
I just finished watching "What They Don't Tell You About Fibolgs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdfu6Eoo1U)" by MrRhexx, and it posed some interesting challenges about creating a less fey and more giant-like Firbolg. Think gentle vikings more than anything else.

I really want to get that big size across, but my philosophy is as such:
DnD is a simulation of a narrative. Whenever a narrative must be converted into game mechanics it is done so in the most simplistic manner that fits the inner balance of the game. For these reasons, some things will appear less powerful in mechanics than it is described in the narrative.

This is what makes the whole thing challenging. It would be so easy to simply say "Yeah, yeah, you gain extra damage, extra size and extra HP". Some might even create disadvantages to balance these bonuses out. The problem is that a PC race with disadvantages will only be picked by a player the disadvantages don't impact his character. Giving a race a -2 strength, for example, doesn't mean they make for a bad barbarian, it simply means "Only pick this race if you intend to dump strength anyways".

Now, for the size bit, this is what I've come up with:

Count as one size larger for carrying and grappling
You can wield two-handed weapons in one hand. When using a two-handed weapon in one hand you cannot engage in two-weapon fighting or use a shield.
You have naturally thick skin and your size makes you overall more durable. While wearing light armor or hide and not using a shield your AC equals 10 + Dex + Con.
Swat Away: When you have one hand free and are hit by a ranged attack, you can use your reaction to deflect the missile, as long as you have one free hand. When you do so, the damage you take from the attack is reduced by 1d6 + your Dexterity modifier + your level.
Athletics Proficiency.

What do you think?
How would you give a player the feeling that his character is 10-feet tall without resulting to strict combat-boosts, and without making it the best barbarian class in the game?

I know two-weapon fighting requires a light weapon, but I felt it was necessary to emphasize it nontheless.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-18, 04:22 AM
Here's what I came up with. It was a fun little challenge :D

Firbolg - Gentle Giants
Firbolgs might look like red-haired, giant, 10-foot vikings, but a more tender heart is hard to find. They are generous, selfless, respectful and feel like every difficult decision should be resolved with a vote.

Speed: 30 feet
Languages: Common, Giant
Giant Kin:
- Whenever you make an ability check using your Strength you are considered proficient in that check

- Count as one size larger for carrying and grappling

- Can wield non-heavy two-handed weapons in one hand, but cannot use shield or two-weapon fighting when doing so.

- Your AC is 10+Dex+Con when not wearing armor or using a shield.
Swat Away: Once per short rest, When you have one hand free and are hit by an attack, you can use your reaction to swat your attacker's weapon aside, as long as you have one free hand. When you do so, the damage you take from the attack is reduced by 1d6 + your level.
Firbolg Code (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QnNmnuGuY_5qICVoLFYy7YDuFjTEuPgpwCi01lvqf5g/edit?usp=sharing)